PDA

View Full Version : Sabiki sizes for smelt

pasadenafishin
03-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey guys im going to be fishing redondo tommorrow and due to the fact that i CANT FIND ANY PLACE THAT SELLS LC's!!! i want to try fishing with smelt. So far what ive heard is the best way to catch them is by sabiking them off the piers. What size sabiki rigs do u guys use?

DockRat
03-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Try the short pier about 1/2 way out. Fill a 5 gal bucket 3/4 full, bring 20' of rope to lower it or walk to the rocks, bring a lid for splash if you travel. Use white bread for chum and break up several pieces into small bits and make a pile on the rail. Use a small sabiki rig # 10, 12 14 hook size. Put a small weight 1/4 - 1/2 oz on the end. Put a 1/8" piece of squid tenacle on each hook. You can always bum a squid from someone fishing.
Most guys don't bait the hook but I think it works better. Toss out a pinch of bread every minute or two.

You should be able to see them. Wait if you see a seal till there gone.
Get about 6 - 8 max and replace 1/2 the water every hour or fish one at a time off the pier.
The surf is up a little today so you might be better off on a jetty.
You could try the RB Breakwall about 50' to 300' past the surf. Bring a nett for the jetty or else.
Other spots you might want to try is the corner by Joes Crab Shack or Samba, Topaz Jetty.
This is a way I have gotton some legals in the past and hopefully other will give input on other methods.

Good Luck, DR