PDA

View Full Version : DFG Evaluation In Regards to Approval For Trout Stockings!

jmurillo74
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
As of 3/25/10 no Lake George, Lake Mary, Twin Lakes Mammoth, Rock Creek Lake, Convict Lake, Lake Mamie, Saddlebag Lake, Tioga Lake, June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake. Looks like only PVR, Crowley, and creek fishing this season. Is this really going to happen?

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/Evaluation.asp

Sierra_Smitty
03-26-2010, 08:14 PM
MEMO TO ALL SIERRA ANGLERS....DO NOT PANIC!

This is simply a new process that needs to be completed and the DFG is racing through the list as fast as they can....and so far, they seem to be making a lot of progress pretty fast.

The DFG is doing the evaluations in order of priority for the opener. Because Crowley, Grant, Bridgeport Res and Intake II are almost always ice free and stocked for the opener, they were the first lakes to go through the new process. Those lakes should take care of most of the gauranteed open water for the opener. Next will likely be June, Gull, Silver, Convict and Twin Lakes Bridgeport because they are usually ice free as well.

Hopefully by May 1 we'll see the rest of the lakes (Mammoth Basin, Bishop Drainage, Virginias, Tioga etc.) evaluated and cleared for stocking as usual. These lakes are never stocked for the opener...heck, South Lake and the Mammoth Lakes are usually frozen till well into May...so we have plenty of time to get the evaluations done.

Nobody has more to lose than I do and having spoken with some of the DFG folks involved with this....I'm not all that worried about it - I hope that puts at least some of you at ease.

The opener should be as epic as ever and I would expect the rest of the season to follow suit.

I'm glad that this is on everybody's radar though so we can mobilize if something goes wrong.

jmurillo74
03-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Smitty, out of anybody's words on these boards I trust it's yours. I was kind of thinking the same thing, with it still being a few weeks away from opening day and most of the upper elevation lakes being iced over into May, I wasn't quite in panic mode yet. A buddy of mine called me today from San Diego because ther was some article about the DFG lawsuit in the paper again.

rotto84
03-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks Smitty for the clarification. I was also thinking this is something to keep up with, but it should be worked out soon. The SD article (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/26/trout-stocking-delayed-in-sierra/), http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/26/trout-stocking-delayed-in-sierra/ makes it look slightly more dramatic.

REMINDER, Smitty's book is great! Can't wait for summer to check out a few of his suggestions. I am going to the Fred Hall Show tomorrow (Saturday), to ask him a few more questions.

Sierra_Smitty
03-26-2010, 11:57 PM
I am going to the Fred Hall Show tomorrow (Saturday), to ask him a few more questions.

See you there man! Also, I'm giving a seminar at 2pm if you're interested.

stphnman20
03-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Got me worried there for a bit.. This will be my first opener in the Sierras. Hope everything goes great..

Marley
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
MEMO TO ALL SIERRA ANGLERS....DO NOT PANIC!....I'm glad that this is on everybody's radar though so we can mobilize if something goes wrong.

Early stocking was said to have been done via horseback and doggone it, we can do it again! You just tell us where to be and we'll get you stocked by horseback if need be. I pity the horse I get, but I'll be there!

Sierra_Smitty
04-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Just an FYI folks - the list was updated on April 23rd and they added a lot of the usual waters. Still plenty left to evaluate but they're moving throught he list as expected with no big surprises thus far.

seal
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
You sure are patient Smitty, I can't tell you how many times I've seen your response on this question within these threads:LOL:!

troutasaurus
05-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Sierra Smitty is right here is the expanded list of waters approved for stocking as of May 12
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/Evaluation.asp

besttimespent
05-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Smitty, Thanks for keeping us informed on what is taking place.
I know this affects you as it does us. We in the fishing community want to thank you for all your efforts.
Without people like you who support our sport and enjoyment, it wouldn't be what it is today.
Thanks Smitty.
Besttimespent - Rob