PDA

View Full Version : What's Best Fluorocarbon You Have Used?

hakaveli
03-26-2010, 09:36 AM
What's Best Fluorocarbon Filler You Have Used?
Feedback on Memory? Knot Strength? Sensitivity?

Im looking for something with the least amount of memory in #6-#8
I've tried
Maxima
P-Line Halo
FC Sniper (I think its the best I've used so far)

-Hakaveli

AmBASSador
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Seaguar Abraxis or Invisix. But it's a little pricey.

DarkShadow
03-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Sunline Metan in the thinner diamater.

Their Shooter and the FC Sniper stuff is pretty good too.

I just tried Toray's BAWO Super Hard Premium in 8# and it felt comparable to the Sunline, without the expensive price tag.

I didn't like Toray's Solaroam that much tho.

Cangler
03-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Amnesia ... For leaders and hook lengths it's unbeatable

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0023667315596a.shtml

HEMAN
03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
i know it's a bit off topic, but does it make THAT much difference? like let's say between PLine fluoro vs the Seaguar vs Suline?

hakaveli
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
i know it's a bit off topic, but does it make THAT much difference? like let's say between PLine fluoro vs the Seaguar vs Suline?

Strength and memory make a difference to a angler.

fish
03-26-2010, 01:55 PM
I would say Seaguar Invis-X. I think it is the best value also it is strong and line memory has not been an issue with me so far.

I have had some people tell me that Sunline has some issues with knot slipage. I have been weary to use their line, I have few spools just sitting around.

kaneo
03-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Seaguar Abraxis or Invisix. But it's a little pricey.
im with dark shadow, the sunline products are great... pretty much all i use for floro, and a cheap good floro is the bass pro shops florocarbon... but i still pay the extra money for the sunline lines..

lurk 182
03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=fish;442838]I would say Seaguar Invis-X. I think it is the best value also it is strong and line memory has not been an issue with me so far. QUOTE]

+1, even on cold mornings the memory is pretty minimal across all line sizes. i've fished everything from 6 to 15lb. and i'm down with all of em. use backing and you can get three or four re-fills out of the 200 yd. spools. only other one i've used was maxima and i took it off after one use, it was that bad.

WormFisher
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I have used most of the one's. It's more about the fluoro's I did not like:
Vicious-way to much memory and to thick (6lb)
Vanish-yeah it vanished-like my fish that I had hooked did-took it off after on trip and dropped in the recycle bin.
P-line Fluoroclear-I listened to the fool at BPS who sold me it-results similiar to Vanish-see above. The P-Line 100% fluoro is good BTW

Right now I am using Red Lable Seguar, BPS Fluoro, Invisix and Cabela's Fluoro

Bass Buddy07
03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
the best line i ever used was the BPS signiture by Kevin Vandam flourocarbon the best line in the world. I also i go with the Trilence 100% flourocarbon too :Big Grin:

Fire Ball
03-26-2010, 06:14 PM
I have to say that Seaguar is THE BEST fluorocarbon line that I have ever used. I really don't want to go back to using anything else. All I really buy now is Seaguar or P-Line. The Seaguar is too expensive for me most of the time, so I just get P-Line Fluoroclear, which I have had good experiences with.

calico killer kevin
03-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Best value is Seaguar InvisX, but I have heard a lot of good things about AbrazX.
Trilene isn't bad either.
Maxima is crap.
Steez is actually pretty good especially when it's on sale for $10 at Angler's Marine.
Shooter is the overall best, but quite expensive.

oscarbassman
03-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I use Spiderwire fluorocarbon, it has done nothing but good for me... just my 2cents.

Socal Bassman
03-27-2010, 03:58 AM
I've tried just about every fluoro out there and I keep coming back to Seaguar Carbon Pro. FC Sniper and Toray just gets too pricey if you keep refilling every couple months. They are very good lines though.

billy b
03-28-2010, 10:41 AM
So Cal Bman ... you like the Carbon Pro better than the INVISX and the ABRASIX? ... and why?

bsp
03-28-2010, 02:37 PM
If you're loaded Toray Finesse. Otherwise Seaguar Invis X. My only experience with Sunline is in there 4lb Machine Gun cast, and it's a great corbina line.

DarkShadow
03-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Personally, I think it's the biggest difference when it comes to fishing.

When you think of it, your ONLY connection to the fish you have just hooked is your line.

I try to use the best stuff that I can afford. And after going through spools of lower quality fluoro, I don't want the fish of a lifetime to "Vanish" because I decided to skimp on line.

On that note, I find it strange that people who have a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel, will throw on the cheapest line they can find. Personally, even if I'm fishing like my paisas do with line wrapped around a Coke can, (and using an old NGK spark plug as a weight) I will always make sure my connection to the fish is the best I can possibly have.

My only experience with Sunline is in there 4lb Machine Gun cast, and it's a great corbina line.

Have you tried Defier? It fishes a lot better than the Machinegun Cast, IMO.

Yes, good flouro can be very pricy. But, I don't know many people who will actually fill up their entire spool with pricey Fluoro. In fact, a lot of these JDM lines come in spools of 100 meters or so. Unless you're lucky enough to have a "shallow' spool on your reel, there's no way you can fill the entire thing up with 100 meters of line. In my non-shallow spools, I use backing of Trilene XT (or some other line that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) and then put the 100 meters of flouro on top of that, connected by a uni knot. That way, I only will swap out the top 100 meters of line. As I tell people all the time, I have yet to run into a bass that can burn 100 meters of line in a run. There's no use having so much line capacity if you will not use 75% of the line before you swap it out.

bsp
03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
DS, it's on my list to try. If you don't mind, why do you like it over Machinegun cast? I'm looking for a new line for chucking LCs in the surf for this season, so I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on it.

Prowler_Tuber
03-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Trilene 100% fluorocarbon in the gold box

a biley
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Machingegun Cast isn't Fluorocarbon. My top picks are Seaguar InvizX and Super FC Sniper.

If the Toray Fluoro is just as good as their Mono... then Toray would be a great choice also.

CalamARI
04-01-2010, 01:50 AM
I have to say that Seaguar is THE BEST fluorocarbon line that I have ever used. I really don't want to go back to using anything else. All I really buy now is Seaguar or P-Line. The Seaguar is too expensive for me most of the time, so I just get P-Line Fluoroclear, which I have had good experiences with.

The Flouroclear isn't a flourocarbon line, it's a coated copolymer line.

Fire Ball
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
The Flouroclear isn't a flourocarbon line, it's a coated copolymer line.

Yes, I know and I didn't mean to sound like it was. Sorry about the confusion. :LOL:

Wingnut
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
The best, but I don't use it too often... pricey.
I mostly use InvizX.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Wingnut%206/Picture001-16.jpg

a biley
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Man Arthur... That line is too pricey for my blood. I would hate to have a professional overrun with that. I might want to try Megabass DragonCall next.

DarkShadow
04-01-2010, 04:05 PM
DS, it's on my list to try. If you don't mind, why do you like it over Machinegun cast? I'm looking for a new line for chucking LCs in the surf for this season, so I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on it.

Bsp,

I've had weird breakage issues that were not knot-related when using the MCGunCast in areas with some structure.

While its been nothing but great in fishing open water, I get sketched out fishing stick ups and rocks. I was throwing a 10" worm at DVL when the last incident happened and I wish I wouldve seen the fish. But it dove, peeled drag, and *pop*. The line was a bit frayed and I am very meticulous, and re tie often.

Its too bad the Defier doesn't come in smaller sizes. Its a great nylon line.

Man Arthur... That line is too pricey for my blood. I would hate to have a professional overrun with that. I might want to try Megabass DragonCall next.

True story: I'm out in Havasu 2 weekends ago, encountering some gail force winds. I had just spooled my Conquest 50 with the Toray Solaroam Upgrade, and I adjusted the cast control knob a tiny bit because I had been using a copolymer on the reel and we all know how fluoro has the tendency to shoot off the reel.

Anyway, I backlash while trying to throw a tiny bait into the wind, and I have to pull off about 60 yards of line from the spool to get it out.

During this, the line must have knicked itself as it wrapped itself around a rock, and hours later, I made a long cast with a heavier bait and hooked into a rock fish. I grab the line to break it off, and the effin' thing breaks 2 feet from my hand. Essentially, I lost 60 yards out of 90 because the nick occured so deep into the spool. Needless to say, I was pissed and was fishing into my backing all day. Good waste of 30 bucks.

sansou
04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Wingnut: thanks for the heads up on that Tatsu line! 200yds of 20lb for $55 isn't all that bad, considering I use only a few yards at a time. The last stuff I mistakenly bought (red label Seaguar) has been driving me nuts flylining baits in the salt, and this stuff seems a lot more supple.

Darkshadow: don't tell us some fluoro shmluoro story....2 weeks ago was spring break time at Havasu. You weren't "fishing". You were b*** fishing alright.... :LOL:

DarkShadow
04-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Darkshadow: don't tell us some fluoro shmluoro story....2 weeks ago was spring break time at Havasu. You weren't "fishing". You were b*** fishing alright.... :LOL:

Why do you think I plan my yearly trip to Have-***-su during Spring Break?

Mean fighting smallmouths and drunk college girls with big as$es.

A man cannot ask for anything more.

(Btw, ur buddy HaS had the hot stick that weekend and got his first fish of 2010. He sends his regards)

bsp
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks DS, I haven't had that experience with the 4lb, but I'll be sure to stay away from Machinegun Cast in the future.

DocSpotty
04-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Just a question if expense it such a big issue. Why not use a small diameter braid and just splice on a 4 to 6 foot flourocarbon leader? Was fishing in Florida last year and had a day with 107 bass (70 peacocks, 37 largemouth), used 15 lbs braid and 12 lbs floro leader......retied about 12 times but never had to replace the leader.

Just finish fishing the lower Colorado in Texas a few weeks ago...used Trilene in the "gold" box and wanted to chuck 20 minutes into a 9 hours fishing day. Was using a spinning reel (shimano sustain) and had a horrific problem with loops in the line due to memory....perhaps due to using a light weight twitch bait as I have fished it with heavier terminal gear and had no problems.

I will definitely try a few you guys recommend.

Thanks,
Brian

dockboy
04-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Sunline, Toray, and Seaguar Tatsu are very good lines. But unless you're sponsored or loaded to the point where refilling with fresh line every few trips won't be an issue with $25+ price tags, Seaugar InvizX makes the most sense. Also, its relatively easily to obtain, because its one of the few good flouros distributed by big box stores like Sport Chalet.
I use the P-Line FLouroclear also. Not bad stuff....relatively strong. It sinks like flouro which is a plus, the negative issue it's only coated with flouro and then a mono core. More visibility, and if you fish heavy cover like I did the first few times with it, you pay dearly for not retying (tho unless your fishing braid, ALWAYS check and retie as needed. I'm paranoid and do this even with braid). But in relatively open water, its pretty good stuff.
Something I've used with good success in the Halo line by P-Line, in the mist green. I've used it as a jig flipping line for about a year solid now, with pretty good results. I like the fact the color makes determining the line from the background color a fairly easy process. Its also proven to be abrasion resistant, and I've never broke off a fish on it flipping, even when a few sawed me around a tule clump.

fishsniffin
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Gamma edge pro series and P-line halo mist green, by far are the two best i've used so far.

Stormcrow
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Nitlon DARM would be my first choice
Sunline Sniper is my second
P-Line full flouro is my third

spitbreaker
04-13-2010, 11:50 AM
the fluorocarbon all same but different style for different type of fishing
my number one is seaguar
seaguar orange from japan great short leader to filling the spool
seaguar green from japan great for structure or bottom fishing for calico from walls to yellowtail of islands
seaguar abraz-x same as the seaguar green more structure freshwater to light-saltwater
seaguar carbon pro or red label everyday use for freshwater

its fine better selection or info go to tackletour.com