PDA

View Full Version : 3-25-10 Casitas Turbo Sunset Mission

McFingers
03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Got home a little early today and I had the itch for the bite, so I headed to Casitas. Arrived with like in water @ 6 PM. 1 Hour Turbo Sunset Fishin' Mission commence.

Went to what I THOUGHT was the "Homer Spot", and it turned out it wasn't. Ended up being a good spot anyhow...I'm calling it mayfly cove cause they were ALL OVER ME! In my hair, in my mouth, in my eyes, in my ears....it was horrible.

I Digress....

There about 10 mins, them tug...tug...BAM! Caught a nice little 3lber. He put up a G R E A T fight. Took me about 2~3 mins easy. Lets go this way..nope, I meant that way. Whoa I'm gonna take your line out to where you hooked me. It was awesome. Probably one of the best LMB Fights I have ever had.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/DSC00975.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/DSC00977.jpg

He is a male. So if hes a 3lb male, and if I know my bass...he is a chubby chaser and there is a fat chick right around the corner.

Nothing for another 40 mins, then the sun dropped below the hills. I looked to my left (maybe the fish takes my bait when I'm not looking...I do that a lot...) and all i hear is SPPHSHSH SPLASH SPLAH SPHSHS.

1 or 2 decent fish (saw their mouths, looked chunky) were chasing small trout / baby bass OUT OF THE FRICKIN WATER. I RAN, not walked but RAN about 50 yards and did a Happy Gilmore style throwing cast. Literally 5 seconds after it lands BAM BAM BAM. Set the hook...line starts peeling off. Start to fight her and and wouldn't ya know, I get snagged on something. Line broke, eyes start to tear, whole 9 yards.

I rig up another one and cast it out about 30 ' to the right and 20' past the hook up spot. another 5 seconds BAM BAM BAM. Same Business...lost my rig. Drop shotting in that location is NOT recommended.

As I am riggin up another one, I hear that SpSHSHPS Splah sound again. And I see something CHASING a small water bird (black kind, looks like a duck) around. Bird fly's away. Silence. About 2 mins pass. Spaashh SPHSSPS PLOP. I look and Its like jaws was tearing through the water another 100 yards around the cove. I decide NOT to chase, and to pack it up and go home. It was getting dark, and I didn't want to get my car locked in the gates cause I don't know how strict Casitas is with their "Park is Closed" business.

Guess What this means....HALF DAY TOMORROW BWUUUHAHHAHAA!!.

Gonna head there around 3 is and drop shot till like 530 then start throwing senkos or small swimbaits. Meet up with me if you want to (PM me and I'll hook it up with a phone #)

Praying I land a fatty.

Tight Lines and Smelly Fingers everybody!!

bassinnut
03-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Thats a productive hour - I will be there sat. Great report

LuvThymetal
03-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Nice report man. What spot was that ?

McFingers
03-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Nice report man. What spot was that ?

Over on the east arm. I dont wanna disclose the exact location. Not because I dont want my spot blown up, but because I saw several 2 lb femals digging nests no more than 10 feet from the shoreline. I dont want people to go trolling on here for spawn spots so they can take home roe filled bass for din-din.

bassinnut
03-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Over on the east arm. I dont wanna disclose the exact location. Not because I dont want my spot blown up, but because I saw several 2 lb femals digging nests no more than 10 feet from the shoreline. I dont want people to go trolling on here for spawn spots so they can take home roe filled bass for din-din.

Absoultely agree - the lake just had another trout plant so anyone looking for dinner target them.

Rabbito
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Man I am jeleous, I was there for 8 hours yesterday and got one bass, talked to another dude there who also was there for 8 hours he only caught one bass and a trout.

I had like 8 followers on a 3.5" swim bait but only one hook up. Also had one come up and hit a crainkbait but no hook up. Tried the drop shot a ton too for nothing. It was cool and overcast all day which is usually a good thing in the summer but it must not be so good in the spring.

Good job out there.

lurk 182
03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
1 or 2 decent fish (saw their mouths, looked chunky) were chasing small trout / baby bass OUT OF THE FRICKIN WATER. I RAN, not walked but RAN about 50 yards and did a Happy Gilmore style throwing cast. Literally 5 seconds after it lands BAM BAM BAM. Set the hook...line starts peeling off. Start to fight her and and wouldn't ya know, I get snagged on something. Line broke, eyes start to tear, whole 9 yards.

tough break, those fish ate a drop shot? i'd say its a little early to be eating fry so i'd guess you saw a real SoCal trout ambush, usually a wolfpack of bass. sounds like i'm gonna be chuckin the swimbait tomorrow. Wadleigh arm eh? don't worry about getting locked in there, i've never been looked at on the way out. they've got campers comin and goin all night. thanks for the report.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-26-2010, 04:32 PM
congrats on your catches...that lake should be shifting into gear anyday now..

I've laid off the LMB for a while now but I've told myself this year I'll put a bit o time back in on them, I'll be heading out there in 2-4 weeks when the big girls are about and playing.

Nice work, I'd guess you'll see this later on but good luck out there today...

P.S.
Try some crawdad plastics as well...you might be surprised.

Obviously if theres trout around go big on those suckas at least an 8" trout pattern

Hope you nail your PB..
Good luck

Rabbito
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I saw what looked like 2 small bass about 1.5 inch long yesterday, which shouldnt be possible, but I swear they were skinny and green.

Fire Ball
03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice 3lber. Anything 3 lbs and up put up a real nice fight on light line! That is unfortunate that you lost a bass because it got snagged! Still thinking about getting a tube for the Goon?

McFingers
03-26-2010, 09:29 PM
tough break, those fish ate a drop shot? i'd say its a little early to be eating fry so i'd guess you saw a real SoCal trout ambush, usually a wolfpack of bass. sounds like i'm gonna be chuckin the swimbait tomorrow. Wadleigh arm eh? don't worry about getting locked in there, i've never been looked at on the way out. they've got campers comin and goin all night. thanks for the report.

Yeah, someone caught a 10+ in the same spot today. Huddleston 8" with a medium ROF in Phantom Rainbow pattern. It was windy, so they came in to feed. Plus they stocked the lake with 10k lbs of trout, most 1~1.5 lbs a week or 2 ago.

I saw what looked like 2 small bass about 1.5 inch long yesterday, which shouldnt be possible, but I swear they were skinny and green.

If you left the "rod holder" @ the homer spot, its still there. I got mine the next cove up, which looks beautiful. Wide, shallow, CLEAR even with the wind, and FULL OF COVER. Saw lots of boils too.

Nice 3lber. Anything 3 lbs and up put up a real nice fight on light line! That is unfortunate that you lost a bass because it got snagged! Still thinking about getting a tube for the Goon?

I snagged and lost 2!! OH, THE HUMANITY!!

And no, im not thinking about a tube anymore...im thinking long term a Decent sized pickup, with a boat for casitas only and a 8' plastic boat for the goon. Thats gonna take about a year to get, but it'll be worth it.

Fire Ball
03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
I snagged and lost 2!! OH, THE HUMANITY!!

And no, im not thinking about a tube anymore...im thinking long term a Decent sized pickup, with a boat for casitas only and a 8' plastic boat for the goon. Thats gonna take about a year to get, but it'll be worth it.

Nice! It should definitely be worth it considering you would only be able to use the tube in the Goon.

LuvThymetal
03-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Yeah i understand, no problem. Thanks anyways.