PDA

View Full Version : 6-Pack SKUNK on Old No.7 (7/11 & 7/12)

LearningToFish
07-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Wow! Does it happen often?!! I've been reading all these great reports lately on Albacores. I thought these trips are supposed to find lots of fish! Well, we headed out Wed. night from San Diego at about 10:30 supposedly to hunt for some Albacore. After a long boat ride for about 6 long hours, heading South to Mexico's waters, we reached the fishing grounds and the crew set out the trolling set-up just before day break. Then we basically trolled around for another 5 - 6 without anything. We stopped twice for less than 10 minutes to throw out live bait at a school and a small kelp bed the crew spotted. But we didn't see a single fish, nothing. So after all that, we rode another 5 - 6 hours home. The End. We really didn't even get a chance to wet our lines other than that 10 minutes.
Even though there were no Albacores around, can anyone tell me is there a reason why these boats cannot try to find other fish so that we can catch something at least? Is this typical? It's the middle of summer, I would guess there should be plenty of other types of fish to target, if the Albacores weren't biting?!!

Rambogottafish
07-14-2007, 05:38 AM
LTF - Welcome to tuna fishing. There are no guarantees. I was out with my club last Friday the 6th and fished the mushroom for 2 albacore, 14 experienced anglers and one of the best skippers in So Cal, Mike Thompson. Day before, lots of action. Our skipper called it quits at 11 am and ran to San Clemente Island for Bass and Yellowtail. You probably did not have an option to run somewhere else due to your location. Better luck next time.

plumbertom
07-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Sounds like a tuna trip to me.
There are so many variables that change from day to day.
The temperature break that was on the terrafin this morning is at the mercy of the currents. Then the bait schools that the Albie's were feeding on could have broken up or been depleted. Also there is an awful lot of ocean to be considered with conditions that might hold fish. Add to that the fact that often when the sport boats find the fish the commercial seiners will move in and wipe out an entire school for many miles around.
Don't give up. For the most part our sport-boat fleet are very good at putting fish on board and there is nothing like pulling on a tuna.

Ambassadorhawg
07-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Water temps are changing quickly and seiners wrapped it all up! The bite is falling apart fast!

fishnfool
07-14-2007, 11:12 AM
you went right at the time the bite died down......ya never when it will die or take off again...........Thats fishin.

fishnfool
07-14-2007, 11:13 AM
you went right at the time the bite died down......ya never when it will die or take off again...........Thats fishin.

ThanksKK
07-14-2007, 11:46 AM
It's like going to a club... sometimes you get lucky, most of the times you dont.

JapanRon
07-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi LearningToFish,

Sorry to hear of your and the boats bad luck! Jeff is disappointed I'm sure.

I agree .... probably no option to go to Clemente. A couple of other areas like the 181 and 182 dried up too! 14 mile likewise! Still would have been nice to have a plan B.

I gave up tuna fishing long ago after about 4 trips and actually .... some success! It's kinda like war ........ but instead of terror it's hours and hours of abject boredom, broken up with a few minutes of pure pandimonium!! A down trip might be bearable for the hunters (being on the hunt is cool) but less so for the patrons. Only hardcore need apply IMNSHO ! ha ha ha

Whitness a couple of seasons ago .......... when the dorado were in close. The moo-moo skippers were cool running around all day trying to be the big stars and get bragging rights on the catch of the day and one-upping their buddies while 60 patrons were skunked! Numberous times! Brilliant !!

I'll say this .... you had a primo boat, great skipper/crew and just plain ol' albie fishing!

Don't lose heart and try again with an assurance there will be a plan B of some sort.

JapanRon

ChillOut
07-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks, guys for all your inputs. It's nice to hear from you all with the experience. Yeah, the 18+ hours of just rocking on the boat was quite disheartening. In fact, it was almost unbearable. No, I will definitely keep my hopes up for a good trip sometime in the future. But for the time being, hopefully I can get out there and catch some local action before the end of summer. Thanks again for all the insights!

sansou
07-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk.

Yesterday I got off a private charter 6 pack myself, and while we had some success, it was tough fishing. We cut our tuna hunt a little early just so I could ensure my guests could wet a line at the Coronados on the way home.

Tons of variables to cope with, one of which is the fact that most 6 packers aren't part of the better "code groups" that the big moo-moos enjoy. We were lucky that our skipper was friends (and co-owned) with the skipper of the Samurai, which helped zone in on some travelling schools.

one_leg
07-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Sorry to hear that you were unable to catch your quarry. :cry:

O_L

JapanRon
07-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Chillout,

Humm ... if I didn't welcome you when you registered ..... a hearty welcome now!

Await your fishy reports and or contriutions!

JapanRon

Tail Chaser
07-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Bummer about the skunk.Ive seen some pretty good post coming off the old#7.Big WSB. Saw a post of some anglers doing good off the old#7 the 16th I believe :roll:
Most good anglers, The ones posting the really big fishys. Admit you really have to put your time on the water.Then being at the right place at the right time.
Some famous quots ive read are,
Thats why they call it fishing,and not catching.
Fishing is like going to a bar,Sometimes you get lucky, Most of the time you don't.
Did some checking.
This look like the boat you were on?
Old#7 on the 16th