PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Attacked By Fisherman

smokinflies
03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is old news, but I just heard about this today and thought I'd share it:

Pelican, ’stomped on’ by fisherman, recovers
posted by Pat Brennan, green living, environment editor

A California brown pelican whose beak was stomped on and crushed by a fisherman is recovering at a Huntington Beach care center, though the bird must heal further before being released.

The bird was injured Sunday when it swooped down on a fish on the Newport Beach pier that belonged to fisherman Daniel Moreno III, 19, of Perris, Calif.

Moreno was accused of stomping on the pelican’s beak and splitting it. He was arrested on suspicion of cruelty to animals, said Newport Beach police Sgt. Steve Burdette.

“The fracture goes the length of the bill,” said Debbie McGuire, wildlife director at the Wetlands and Wildlife Care Center, where the bird is recovering. “It will take at least a month to heal.”

The bird is eating but not yet flying. The long recovery time is meant to ensure that the beak is strong enough to withstand the 60-foot, head-first plunge pelicans typically make to catch fish in the ocean.

Throngs of brown pelicans, which were recently removed from the endangered species list, turned up along the California coast weak and thin in recent months, a likely result of lack of prey due to shifts in ocean conditions because of El Niño.

Some of the birds appeared to become more bold in approaching humans for food.

Pelican, ’stomped on’ by fisherman, recovers - Green OC : The Orange County Register (http://greenoc.freedomblogging.com/2010/03/19/pelican-stomped-on-by-fisherman-recovers/21315/)

I heard he pleaded "not guilty" to this misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty. :Rolls Eyes:

This kid is pretty much screwed (IMO).

Frenchy
03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
this guy is a total idiot what the hell was he thinking although a 19 year old from lake perris kinda says it all but no offense to anyone who lives out there but there are some shady *** people that live out in that area

tpfishnfool
03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
May he get his freaking eye balls pecked out by a flock of seagulls !!

EL_CHIDO
03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh crap, I thought this was a story about me!
I accidently tripped a bird up yesterday flying by and getting caught in my line.
I reeled him in and safety freed him, but a guy on the shore was giving my $^!+ cause I guess I didn't do it to his standands.

DockRat
03-25-2010, 08:56 PM
What a dumbass.
DR

smokehound
03-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Must have been that one pelican. There's a pelican on that pier 24/7 that never lost it's juvenile plumage.

It has a broken foot, and is notorious for biting people that walk by, thats the way he begs for food.

I tried to scare him off, and all he did was give me the pelican version of the finger.

Its really sad that this kid stomped him like that-- that pelican is normally very friendly and likes to hang out with people.

I would expect this to happen to a seagull, but not a pelican. How could you hurt a pelican? You have to be a total dirtbag to even consider it.