PDA

View Full Version : lagoon, late report

fishLA
03-24-2010, 07:15 PM
went to the lagoon on 3/19, caught my 1st goon BASS! nice chunky bucket mouth..
D/S oxblood

URL=http://s1037.photobucket.com/albums/a455/BASSla_photos/?action=view&current=imagejpeg_3_4.jpg]http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a455/BASSla_photos/imagejpeg_3_4.jpg[/URL]

oscarbassman
03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
DAMMN! nice first goon bass, I hope i get love like this when i head over there man...

drop shot seems to be the set up to have when you fish that place.

Bass Attack
03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Very nice! Did you release it? I want to catch him too haha! Thanks for sharing.

fishLA
03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
couldnt release my 1st goon bass...haha
not bad for the 1st fish i caught on a drop shot!!!!

Bass Attack
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k413/LLL72/My%20pics/thspankyCATFFVQO.jpg

Aw shucks! I wanted a whack at him too, but bigger. Oh well. Congrats! Very nice for your first at the lagoon. Thanks for sharing.

addict
03-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Looks like a female ,nice job not only did you kill her but any offspring she would have produced .Hate to say I told you so Ray ,but I told you so

Fishbones
03-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Looks like a female ,nice job not only did you kill her but any offspring she would have produced .Hate to say I told you so Ray ,but I told you so

bro...as much as it hurt to see a fish be taken...its legal and it wasnt a snagger or poacher so theres nothing you can do....
its a public lake and if seeing people catch fish because someone else gave them some tips bothers you then why did you join FNN.
I am a C&R guy but have become understanding that if a licensed angler wants to take any species they want and its legal then more power to them. You cant let it get to you....you should be more angry at the snaggers or non licensed poachers ......

Fire Ball
03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Saddening to see that you kept it. That is all I have to say....

fishLA
03-24-2010, 09:20 PM
she was a keeper, hard to let her go.
@#*! plenty of other bass in the goon!! go get u some..

Fire Ball
03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
she was a keeper, hard to let her go.
@#*! plenty of other bass in the goon!! go get u some..

I do go and catch them, lol. I just don't like seeing them go.. If everyone kept there bass, then there wouldn't be any more left.

Rabbito
03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Not humanly possible to hold it further away from your body towards the camera

Fire Ball
03-24-2010, 09:35 PM

Wow, nice hating! :ROFL:

fishsniffin
03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I am a c & r guy also, but people who are liscensed are entitled to take their legal limit. Don't be mad at people who take their legal limit home. I understand that all females should be released also (especially if spawning), but the guys who over-reacts when they see a fish get taken home are people who is not universal at fishing, meaning that they only know of one way to catch fish and one species of fish. If your fishing hole is not producing for you anymore, then find another one. That is truly how one can become a GREAT ANGLER. FISHBONES is right, get mad at the poachers. I am a LARGEMOUTH BASS person only, and they live EVERYWHERE. If you don't like how your fishing hole is being fished LEGALLY, then MOVE ELSEWHERE.

BobS
03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree with Fireball in that if all caught bass are kept it ruins the fishery as a whole. All true bass fishermen practice Catch and Release. If you want to keep them keep it to yourself and dont brag about it. BobS:Secret:

Agro
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Who cares that he kept it. It's one bass, not 20. The guy probably fed his family with it and has every right to do so. It is a regulated fishery and the lagoon is thriving with TONS of bass.

If everyone kept every bluegill, crappie, striper, catfish, seabass, halibut, yellowtail, ect. they caught, there would be none of them left either.

Just sayin, don't make the guy feel like a piece of crap for keepin one bass...

I personally let all my bass go but I'm not required to.

LOL

Fishbones
03-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Who cares that he kept it. It's one bass, not 20. The guy probably fed his family with it and has every right to do so. It is a regulated fishery and the lagoon is thriving with TONS of bass.
If everyone kept every bluegill, crappie, striper, catfish, seabass, halibut, yellowtail, ect. they caught, there would be none of them left either.
Just sayin, don't make the guy feel like a piece of crap for keepin one bass...
I personally let all my bass go but I'm not required to.
LOL

X2....i feel the same way.....

if all caught bass are kept it ruins the fishery as a whole. All true bass fishermen practice Catch and Release. If you want to keep them keep it to yourself and dont brag about it. BobS:Secret:

do you feel the same way about calico bass or spotted bay bass....? cuz there GOOD to eat.....my other point is there alot of bass in the goon and there are LAWS that allow them to be kept....if you dont like that then write your state,stop fishing or get over it cuz its legal....once again...i am a C&R guy and it took me a while to understand and except this but after i did i was able to give guys that work hard catching fish just like me and you props...even knowing he is going to keep it and seeing it with my own eyes, yes it hurts but does it ruin my day or do i preach bass nazism on him. No i give him props and carry on with my day. hes got a license,rod reel,bait....he earned it....fishbones

MIKE Q
03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
:LOL:Oh damn! Nothing personal against people who keep their Bass, but I have always believed in C & R so the Bass can get bigger and reproduce. :My Two Cents: When I feel like eating fish, I just hit up McD's on Friday nights for the Filet O Fish special!:Big Grin: PS " I heard the Mc Rib's coming back, just FYI.

Fire Ball
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
:LOL:Oh damn! Nothing personal against people who keep their Bass, but I have always believed in C & R so the Bass can get bigger and reproduce. :My Two Cents: When I feel like eating fish, I just hit up McD's on Friday nights for the Filet O Fish special!:Big Grin: PS " I heard the Mc Rib's coming back, just FYI.

I agree; however I don't like seeing people keeping bass. It is unsettling. I'm not hating or anything, but some guys are, lol.

I have seen a decrease in quality of the Fillet-O-Fish and no longer eat them. :LOL:

SpawnX14
03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
If you are gonna keep bass, keep them after the spawn please...

Marine_Michael
03-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I've seen this whole Catch and Release argument dozens of times before on this and other forums. I only recently started fishing for them and have found that I enjoy it. I generally fish for those species that I will actually take home to eat, stripers, catfish, crappie, trout.

I understand and agree with those of you that catch and release your bass. That being said, I want to point out that recently changes were made to the Castaic website clarifying that the size and take limit for the lagoon is 5 bass at 12+ inches. The limit is 2 bass over 18 inches for the upper lake. The DFG just had biologists doing studies at both lakes because of that whole trout stocking lawsuit and now the limit for the lagoon has changes. Could it be that the studies showed an overpopulation of bass in the lake? Could it be that the limit was changed to "thin the herd" and thereby create an abundance of forage food for the remaining bass, that will then grow bigger faster?

If everyone would put as much effort into cleaning up all the trash around the lake as they do arguing about catch and release the lake would be a paradise.

Fishbones
03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
If everyone would put as much effort into cleaning up all the trash around the lake as they do arguing about catch and release the lake would be a paradise.

I second that and would be glad to take a day out of my life and for a lagoon clean up day....whos in???

Lagoon clean up list
1. Fishbones

Fire Ball
03-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I've seen this whole Catch and Release argument dozens of times before on this and other forums. I only recently started fishing for them and have found that I enjoy it. I generally fish for those species that I will actually take home to eat, stripers, catfish, crappie, trout.

I understand and agree with those of you that catch and release your bass. That being said, I want to point out that recently changes were made to the Castaic website clarifying that the size and take limit for the lagoon is 5 bass at 12+ inches. The limit is 2 bass over 18 inches for the upper lake. The DFG just had biologists doing studies at both lakes because of that whole trout stocking lawsuit and now the limit for the lagoon has changes. Could it be that the studies showed an overpopulation of bass in the lake? Could it be that the limit was changed to "thin the herd" and thereby create an abundance of forage food for the remaining bass, that will then grow bigger faster?

No, the limit was never changed for the Lagoon. It was wrong on the website for a long time and they just corrected it on the website a couple months ago. I was one of the reasons why they got it clarified. They did not do any studies for the regulations recently either. That was all looking for protected species to complete the EIR. Also, believe me, there is already an abundance of forage in the Goon

Marine_Michael
03-24-2010, 11:15 PM
No, the limit was never changed for the Lagoon. It was wrong on the website for a long time and they just corrected it on the website a couple months ago. I was one of the reasons why they got it clarified. They did not do any studies for the regulations recently either. That was all looking for protected species to complete the EIR. Also, believe me, there is already an abundance of forage in the Goon

Thank you for clarifying the limit situation.

Inept Angler
03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
FishLA, Congrats on your first Goon bass! Don't let the "only catch and release" crowd get to you. They bought into the B.A.S.S. promotion, which really doesn't deal with everyday anglers, it's about tournement guys that yank a ton of bass out of the water in a weekend. Personally, I only keep what I'm going to eat, but catch and hot grease is not only a legitamate method, it's actually good for the management of the fish. That's why they have limits. Catch and release guys are concerned about their benefit of catching bigger bass, even though if everyone did C&R the bass would overcrowd and become stunted. Catch and hot grease guys do more for the health of the fishery.

oscarbassman
03-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I second that and would be glad to take a day out of my life and for a lagoon clean up day....whos in???

Lagoon clean up list
1. Fishbones

if there is some fishing after the clean up, then I'm up for it. XD

JSAUCE818
03-25-2010, 06:17 AM
ImHo---this is why i dont post up reports bragging that the lagoon bite is hot....

Other than that, thanks for the report and pics,...nice chunk for sure.

Bassnman Mike
03-25-2010, 08:05 AM

Dude, first off let me clarify that I do support Catch and Release of bass myself, ESPECIALLY when it comes to spawning females but I will not slam anyone, that at times, wants to keep a legally caught bass, just my opinion. I do have a rule that I strictly enforce to anyone that boards my boat which is ANY bass over 5 pounds will have to be set free or they will not be allowed to fish with me on my boat. While I would prefer that they release all bass caught, if they want to keep a couple for dinner I wont complain.

I remember a little while back taking my nephew on Pyramid and he caught a couple of bass that were about 15 inches long that he wanted to keep so we placed them in the live well and set the aerator to auto. Through out the day as I caught and released bass as well as the other person on the boat we talked about the importance of C&R but said nothing directed at him or made no attempt to make him feel bad for wanting to keep his bass At the end of the day as we were approaching the launch ramp he said that he wanted to let them go, I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. The smile on his face as he watched them swim away was priceless.

Anyhow, I’m not sure if your statement is true or not. I just copied the below directly from the Official Castaic Lake Web Site, its listed in at least 2 places on their site so either they are wrong or you are.

Dec. 8 - Clarification: Fishing Limits on Lower Lake (Lagoon), for Black Bass is a limit of 5 fish, at 12 inches.

Agro
03-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Check it out, eggs and all... :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYVyuRhM5U

:Envious:

Fire Ball
03-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Dude, first off let me clarify that I do support Catch and Release of bass myself, ESPECIALLY when it comes to spawning females but I will not slam anyone, that at times, wants to keep a legally caught bass, just my opinion. I do have a rule that I strictly enforce to anyone that boards my boat which is ANY bass over 5 pounds will have to be set free or they will not be allowed to fish with me on my boat. While I would prefer that they release all bass caught, if they want to keep a couple for dinner I wont complain.

I remember a little while back taking my nephew on Pyramid and he caught a couple of bass that were about 15 inches long that he wanted to keep so we placed them in the live well and set the aerator to auto. Through out the day as I caught and released bass as well as the other person on the boat we talked about the importance of C&R but said nothing directed at him or made no attempt to make him feel bad for wanting to keep his bass At the end of the day as we were approaching the launch ramp he said that he wanted to let them go, I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. The smile on his face as he watched them swim away was priceless.

Anyhow, I’m not sure if your statement is true or not. I just copied the below directly from the Official Castaic Lake Web Site, its listed in at least 2 places on their site so either they are wrong or you are.

Dec. 8 - Clarification: Fishing Limits on Lower Lake (Lagoon), for Black Bass is a limit of 5 fish, at 12 inches.

What? Are you saying I slammed him? Anyway, they never changed the limit for the Lagoon. It has been 5 fish at 12 in for a really long time (pretty sure forever). The website just recently updated it because of one of my report where we had 5 bass each in the livewell with Butch Brown and people were complaining and stuff saying we had too many because the website was wrong. Later the website was fixed to reflect the actual regulations when Butch told them about it. I'm not saying the site is wrong, because it is right. It WAS wrong, before they fixed it in December.

Bassnman Mike
03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
What? Are you saying I slammed him?

Maybe not this time but you can be brutal at times. I've also noticed that you have quoted your opinion as fact sometimes. IMHO, you could tone it down a little. Truthfully, I admire your dedication and drive to the sport of fishing, it's great to see the youth of today getting involved in fishing and conservation with all of the bad influences out there. Dont take this personal but believe it or not, you still have alot to learn, as do all of us. Even the Pros on the Bassmasters circut learn something new every time they fish.

Anyway, they never changed the limit for the Lagoon. It has been 5 fish at 12 in for a really long time (pretty sure forever). The website just recently updated it because of one of my report where we had 5 bass each in the livewell with Butch Brown and people were complaining and stuff saying we had too many because the website was wrong. Later the website was fixed to reflect the actual regulations when Butch told them about it. I'm not saying the site is wrong, because it is right. It WAS wrong, before they fixed it in December.

Oh OK, I'm sorry that I miss-understood your reply.

adriiiian
03-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Lagoon clean up list
1. Fishbones
2.Fireball
3.Luvthymetal
4.adriiiian

See u there

sardean
03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
couldnt release my 1st goon bass...haha
not bad for the 1st fish i caught on a drop shot!!!!

Wow your first goon bass.so you kept it.your a piece of ****. I hope you never catch one again
See what he caught it on ray?

fishLA
03-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow your first goon bass.so you kept it.your a piece of ****. I hope you never catch one again
See what he caught it on ray?

thanks man, i plan on keeping all of them i catch!!
smoked bass fillets, very tastey :)

Ray Lopez
03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
LOL i love how two different people bring my name up.

You mean he caught it on the method that everyone uses and one of the most common colors of roboworm? Yes i see what he caught it on. You dumbass's need to get a clue and get off the horse.

BTW good job man catching that lunker. Congrats on catching your first lagoon bass, and welcome to FNN (Bass Nazi Central) lol

Don't mind these guys they all have to hate. Fish how you want to man, it's up to you on what you do with your fish as long as it is lawful. Don't let these guys piss ya off.

FYI if you do catch and keep DON'T POST IT HERE otherwise this is the response you will get every time.

Also thanks to the two morons that mentioned me in this post. lol
Love me or hate me either way your thinking about me. Hugs and kisses XOXOXOXOXO

Fireball = Bass Nazi Youth lol

LuvThymetal
03-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Nice catch !! Go eat some trout instead, its much healthier lol.

LuvThymetal
03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Lagoon clean up list
1. Fishbones
2.Fireball
3.Luvthymetal
4.adriiiian

See u there

Lol this dude added me to the list like if he already asked me if i wanted to go.

Fishbones
03-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey guys....i am going to look into a date in the near future and try and set up a lagoon clean up- fishing meet up.
I need to talk to a few people first and if all works out i will post a thread explaining what the days plans are and have the official sign up list to add you name to. It sounds like theres quite a few people that would be interested helping clean the lake up.

Fishbones

Ray Lopez
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey guys....i am going to look into a date in the near future and try and set up a lagoon clean up- fishing meet up.
I need to talk to a few people first and if all works out i will post a thread explaining what the days plans are and have the official sign up list to add you name to. It sounds like theres quite a few people that would be interested helping clean the lake up.

Fishbones

http://www.castaiclake.com/docs/2010/pride.pdf

Pride in the lake. This is thrown by Friends of Castaic Lake. We actually got the first one done just like this. FNN got together and made a clean up fishing day. FOCL jumped on board and they have been doing this ever since it is done 2nd Sat. of every month. they can provide gloves and equipment to assist in picking up of liter.

Maybe you guys can do this on a day they do it and show the lake that FNN loves the lake as much as they do.

Marine_Michael
03-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I filled a kitchen size trash bag while walking the bank on Thursday and It only took about 200 yards to do it. I even got that pepsi bottle near where I met one of you there other day when I was fishing from a boat. I didn't have any luck with the fish in that area though. So much for karma.

There is a bunch more that's out in the water a little bit so maybe someone with waders can grab some of that stuff.

RiPsTheLMB
03-26-2010, 04:07 PM
great job on killing the pride and joy of this city! you keep it up and ull see that my lure isnt only catching BASS its catching you too and your going right back in the water where you belong! and as far as sardean goes you know nothing about the fishing legend! he will put you to shame so talk all you want. it keeps us laughfing!