PDA

View Full Version : Setting Your Drag?

City Dad
03-23-2010, 04:00 PM
What method do you use to set the drag on a spinning reel? I've always gone by feel.

Koshaw
03-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Same here...

Anyone here actually attach weights or use a drag tester (if anything like that exists) anything else???

AmBASSador
03-23-2010, 04:20 PM
I have always gone by feel as well. I like to be able to pull line with medium pressure to start with. The best is to get used to controlling your drag during the fight on a per fish basis. Sometimes I just hand feed the drag if it is a large fish.

Check out videos of pro Mike Iaconelli... He is in my opinion one of the best spinning reel fisherman. You don't want to lose the fish but check this out as an example to hand feeding drag... Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvdQYnnr1s4

sansou
03-23-2010, 04:21 PM
FYI: drag tester = chatillon scale.

Unless you fish really big game in the salt, or are after an IFGA record, you don't need one. (not that they are expensive anyway).

MAVERICK27
03-23-2010, 04:52 PM
That Ike video is awesome!!!!

Fire Ball
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I have always gone by feel as well. I like to be able to pull line with medium pressure to start with. The best is to get used to controlling your drag during the fight on a per fish basis. Sometimes I just hand feed the drag if it is a large fish.

Check out videos of pro Mike Iaconelli... He is in my opinion one of the best spinning reel fisherman. You don't want to lose the fish but check this out as an example to hand feeding drag... Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvdQYnnr1s4

I hand feed line to the fish when I am fighting anything big and I think the drag is too tight. It works really well.

BrandonFish
03-23-2010, 06:26 PM
i go by what feels right for the lines strenth

DarkShadow
03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I just use braid and button down my drag and winch the fish in.

calico killer kevin
03-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Drag? At this time of year, I just point out every big female I see swimming in the shallows and my good buddy Bigfoot jumps in and DRAGS it out. MMMM...bass tacos...

However, when I am using rod and reel, I go by feel.

Thisfool
03-23-2010, 11:17 PM
i set it really light and then slowly tighten it as im fighting the fish tell i get to were i can reel it in and the fish can take line if it wants to

but then again im a uber noob so i dont know if im even close to doing it right.

Socal Bassman
03-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I just go by feel as well.

AngryAgent
03-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Drag should be set to 25-33% of your lines breaking strength. For example 20lb test should take 5-6.5lbs of force to make line come off of the reel. 2lb test should be set at .5lbs. This is a general rule of thumb so adjust accordingly.

billy b
03-24-2010, 06:27 PM
I've been told not to pull the line out smoothly and steadily ... but rather to make little bursts ... jerks ... poop it the way a fish might take off.

But what do I know

calico killer kevin
03-24-2010, 07:12 PM
I've been told not to pull the line out smoothly and steadily ... but rather to make little bursts ... jerks ... poop it the way a fish might take off.

But what do I know
LOL this is exactly what NOT to do. Fish normally do not make "jerky" runs. If you feel your drag is "jerky", I would immediately replace the washers with carbontex.

oscarbassman
03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
I go with the hand feel method too man, Sometimes when i hook a fish, i like to adjust it to whatever feels right to me..

I'll be paranoid about things like this a night before i go fishing lol. I'll ask my wife "hey babe hold this right here, and pretend your a fish trying to get away" LOL **** works all the time.

lurk 182
03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
i set drag by feel with each setup when i make my first cast of the day, then i never even think about touching it again. i don't pull line off during the battle a la Iaconelli, i don't back reel, i just let the drag do its job. messing with it while i'm fighting a fish is the last thing i want to think about. i don't believe in light drag at first then tightening either cause you're gonna get a cheezy hookset like that. i don't know if any of my bass reels make more than ten pounds of drag buttoned down but i'd guess they're set at about 2/3 of the line's breaking strength. i want to see some bend in the rod but not doubled over or anything.

smokehound
03-26-2010, 11:43 PM
I go by feel myself. Not too tight, not too loose, Juuuuuuuuuust right.

Ive heard of people using objects that weigh similar to the large fish they target as a tool to help em set drag.

stphnman20
03-26-2010, 11:58 PM
I go by feel also.. I'm new to fishing so I'm getting use to it.. Its something that NEEDS to be learned by feel imo..

GeordyBass
03-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah it took me about a few trips to get it down when i was new but It is more for feel of hand... No reason to spend cash or waste time looking for the scientific feel...