PDA

View Full Version : Wanted... Deep cycle battery.

Seņor.Chilax
03-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Im looking for a deep cycle battery. I just got a Wide One Hundred Hummingbird fishfinder and want to hook it up. Not sure what I should be looking for so any advise would help. Thank you!

Poxy Boggards
03-23-2010, 11:53 AM
What else do you plan to power with the Battery? If you are just looking for a battery for the FF, then you can go with a much smaller rechargable 12 V battery. I got one a couple of weeks ago for my tube from Orvac Electronics in Fullerton. The battery was about 15 bucks, and the charger was about 10.

http://www.orvac.com/

You really only need a deep cycle if your planning to run a trolling motor for long periods of time. I got an Energizer Deep cycle from Pep boys for around $100.00, and a charger will run you anywhere from 30 to 100 bucks. You determine how large of a battery you need by how many amp hours your trolling motor requires. I'd bet anything above 105 amp hours would work for most trolling mototrs.

Good luck!

Seņor.Chilax
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
What else do you plan to power with the Battery? If you are just looking for a battery for the FF, then you can go with a much smaller rechargable 12 V battery. I got one a couple of weeks ago for my tube from Orvac Electronics in Fullerton. The battery was about 15 bucks, and the charger was about 10.

http://www.orvac.com/

You really only need a deep cycle if your planning to run a trolling motor for long periods of time. I got an Energizer Deep cycle from Pep boys for around $100.00, and a charger will run you anywhere from 30 to 100 bucks. You determine how large of a battery you need by how many amp hours your trolling motor requires. I'd bet anything above 105 amp hours would work for most trolling mototrs.

Good luck!

Wow. That sounds even better. I have a trolling motor and was thinking of hooking that up too, but i can do with out it. Can I connect the fish finder and the trolling motor at the same time? Im really new at all this stuff and dont know where else to turn to. Thank you Poxy.

Poxy Boggards
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Sure, if you go the deep cycle route, then you can connect your FF and your trolling motor to the same battery, but you would need to adjust your amp hours accordingly. How many thrust pounds is your trolling motor? My guess is that you would probably be good with a 115 Amp hour battery.

If you just want to run the fish finder, then get the small 12 Volt battery and charger and save yourself having to deal with a 50# battery. That option is also alot cheaper than getting a new deep cycle and charger and Battery Box.

Seņor.Chilax
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
The trolling motor has 34pounds of thrust, would the 115amp battery work with this motor?

Poxy Boggards
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I think that would work really well. I had a 29# thrust motor on my inflatable pontoon, and the 105 Amp Hour lasted me all day. I'd get a 115 or somthing larger if you plan to use your trolling motor much. That should be plenty of juice to last you for your finder/motor.

Seņor.Chilax
03-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Thank you sir. You have been much help. Now I have to figure out how to connect the fish finder to the battery. Wonder if you can help me out with that? I have a thread in the gear and tackle section.

Hometown
03-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Thank you sir. You have been much help. Now I have to figure out how to connect the fish finder to the battery. Wonder if you can help me out with that? I have a thread in the gear and tackle section.

I picked up a 125 amp max power at wall mart 3 months ago deep cycle its been good to me 85 bucks

Seņor.Chilax
03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I was thinking of going to walmart to pick one up today but than I went on craigslist and found one for 55bucks, so I'm waiting on the guy to call me back to see how many AMPs it puts out. I just got home and I see the trolling motor has 37pounds of thrust. So if this battery is between 115 to 125, I should be good?

sansou
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Chilax,

You might want to try Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. Google a load calculator online ahead of time to calculate how much battery you think you might need.

Seņor.Chilax
03-23-2010, 07:27 PM
And if any of you guys can help me out on hooking this thing up to a fish finder, I would really appreciate it. Angler Murrieta tried to put up some pictures to help me out but they didn't come up. I'm really lost in all this. I also checked out the manuel but it says to connect the red/black to ground and the red/black to battery(don't really remember which one right now, I'm alittle buzzed, hahaha) but I only have one cable coming out of it. So I don't know if I'm missing a cable or what. So if anyone can help me out, I have another thread on gear and tackle with a picture of the unit. Thank you guys for all the help.

TaperSteve
03-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I got the same fishfinder it came with my boat. I bought a 175 amp per hour at BPS for $109. They had a 185 amp per hour for $119. I plan on buying another Battery for my boat tomorrow. I run my Sirius Boombox, fishfinder, navigation light, and my trolling motor all off the same battery. The BPS battery comes with threaded post with a nut that screws on to it to hold down the wires. I went to Home Depot and bought a couple wingnuts to replace the nuts. So convenient! Dont get one at Walmart they are about the same price with a way lower rating and no threaded post. I can try and help you hook everything up if you need.

Hometown
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
the one I got from walll mart has threaded post but it is only 125 amp hrs
I got the same fishfinder it came with my boat. I bought a 175 amp per hour at BPS for $109. They had a 185 amp per hour for $119. I plan on buying another Battery for my boat tomorrow. I run my Sirius Boombox, fishfinder, navigation light, and my trolling motor all off the same battery. The BPS battery comes with threaded post with a nut that screws on to it to hold down the wires. I went to Home Depot and bought a couple wingnuts to replace the nuts. So convenient! Dont get one at Walmart they are about the same price with a way lower rating and no threaded post. I can try and help you hook everything up if you need.