PDA

View Full Version : Shallow water rockfish Trip

Newfishsmell
03-22-2010, 08:25 AM
On Saturday I drove up to Oxnard for a charter trip on the Seabiscuit out of Channel Islands Sport fishing .We left Saturday evening fishing on Sunday 3/21/10. The guys where up and fishing by 5:00 am, it didn't take long for the bite to start , the boys started hanging some 5 to 7 lb Bonita in the dark , Kenny are charter master was nailing them on consecutive cast with the heavy iron. That bite lasted until day light started to appear , I spent that time having some coffee & trying to wake up , I drop my line in the water as the bite slowed and the Captain said it was time to move. We get to our next spot and again it didn't take long , this time whitefish start coming over the rail , some going several pounds(nice).After hooking a few Whitefish I had one solid bendo that caught me off guard , this one started to pull drag on 20lb test & had my 700L bent , I followed it down the rail for a bit before it got an early release(dang). I'm guessing Sheephead.

The weather and water was great all day , very little wind and flat water. We also had the chance to see some very large breaching whales(incredible sight). It was just one of those days were every stop produced solid fish , most being caught on the dropper loop using live squid or squid jig combos. At times while the skipper pulled up and made a drift we would have several rods go bendo all at once, pulling up Reds , Blue Rockfish,Bocaccio, Sheephead ,Lingcods(released) and many,many more.

Just an incredibly day of fishing with a great group of anglers and friends.The Captain & Crew ... Excellent.

Sorry folks not a lot of pics , busy pulling on fish :LOL: lol . Fish sacks full for all.

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/100_0138540x401.jpg
.................................................. ......................................wrong date on camera

murrieta angler
03-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Always nice when the fish sre consistantly coming over the rail.
Thanks for the report and lone picture...hehe
Robert

Tunaslam
03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
A great day to be on the water, good job!

Cory

JapanRon
03-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi newfishsmell,

Nice job on the fishys and great recap of the trip.

Thanks,

JapanRon

fisherman from long beach
03-22-2010, 10:18 AM
nice fishing,good lookin tacos you have in that pic

Fishbones
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
what the heck......the masked fisherman is revealed,,,,,,nice report chuck.....too bad bout the mystery fish.....i hate those....

Newfishsmell
03-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Always nice when the fish sre consistantly coming over the rail.
Thanks for the report and lone picture...hehe
Robert

It was nice indeed Robert , thanks ...

A great day to be on the water, good job!

Cory

Yeah we lucked out , Thanks Cory ...

Hi newfishsmell,

Nice job on the fishys and great recap of the trip.

Thanks,

JapanRon

Hey thanks JapanRon ...

nice fishing,good lookin tacos you have in that pic

Whats up FFLB , good tacos indeed ...

what the heck......the masked fisherman is revealed,,,,,,nice report chuck.....too bad bout the mystery fish.....i hate those....

I dont know who that dude in the pic is lol , Thanks ...

Fishbones
03-22-2010, 07:08 PM
I dont know who that dude in the pic is lol , Thanks ...

LOL......never seen him before.......

LBC
03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
nice report thanks. looking forward to April first and the Ling's