PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY went fishing! 3/19-3/21

rusty6
03-21-2010, 01:56 PM
So after I picked up my paycheck on thursday, I decided it was finally about time to pick up my license since the bass/surf perch are spawning, the awesome spring low tides for poke-poling are coming around, and rockfishing season is sort of somewhat close to opening up here. Anyway, i decided on doing a little surf fishing on friday, hoping for some halibut in Avila. Go there around 5 with an incoming tide, tied on the LC and started chuckin...for nada. Still fishless on the LC. Didn't want to get skunked my first time out for the year so I tried for some perch with the crack. Still nothing. Finally as the son went down, I got the skunk off with an absolute microdink of a walleyed surf perch. I left on that "high note."

Woke up really early saturday morning for absolutely no reason. I couldn't fall back asleep so I decided to go fishing again. Grabbed my surf gear and headed up towards a stretch of beach between Morro Bay and Cayucos. Got there just before low tide and started fishing. Saw quite a few fisherman, nobody catching. They were throwing everything I could thing of to catch perch: all froms of Gulp! worms, crabs, mullets etc., morf grubs, muscles, sand crabs...everything. So I start off with the red sandworms hoping to get lucky. And I did. Managed a few dinks on the first couple of casts. Then right as the tide started to turn back in, I got slammed hard. Big perch for sure. Then slack, my 4 lb flouro leader broke. This happened again...5 casts in a row. I think I had a bad spool or something because it wasn't breaking at the knot but right in the middle of the leader. Well, I decided to try the LC to stop losing fish to breakages. I knew there were big perch out there but nobody wanted anything to do with the LC...nada for it STILL. Threw in the towel and went for some fish in chips in Morro Bay.

Woke up early again...slightly hungover...but absolutely wanting to fish that same spot again to try for the big perch i knew were out there. Grabbed a spool of 3 pound mono for my leader, threw away the flouro I used yesterday and headed up. Got there same time tide wise as yesterday, started with the crack again for nada, morf grub for nada, kastmaster for nada. As soon as the fog broke though, it went just WFO. Started again with the morf and caught 5 in a row right away, all dinks but still fun. Then they decided they didn't want the morf anymore so I tied on a color grub that I had never tried: rootbeer gold flake. It is now my go-to grub color. I was bit on EVERY cast for the next 4 hours. I had trouble sticking the bites though...I maybe landed 1 out of every 15 fish that bit. I mostly blamed it on finding a huge school of calico surf perch which happen to have small mouths. I stayed with the bite until my body couldn't handle it anymore. Stage 1 of hypothermia is usually a good sign that you have been fishing for too long.

Weekend Totals:

1 WSP
18 CSP to 12"
??(lost count after about 25) BSP mostly dinks but 4 of them went 10",11",13"x2

murrieta angler
03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Thats' what I'm taliking about....fish till you freeze to death!! Good job getting on the fish, even if they were small, it's still a hoot to bring something on shore.
Thanks for the report,
Robert

gavin310
03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Nice job man! Great report. I was just in Ventura and landed a bunch of dink walleyes and barred surf perches. Couldn't find the bigger models.