PDA

View Full Version : Castiac Lagoon 3-20-2010 Crappie Day!!

McFingers
03-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Went to the goon today. Got there around 1:30 afternoon. Hooked up almost right away at one of the good spots. Turned out to be a decent size crappie...about 1.5 lbs I'm guessing. It was bedding and there were 2 or 3 bass swimming around her nest.

Worked my way north and got to another spot. Hooked up after about 10 mins there. Hog she was. Good Fight too. She breached the water 3 times, one of the time she was CLEAR out of the water. 5 lbs + easily. Lost her 10-15 feet from the shore, she spit the hook. 8 hours later and I'm still pissed off lol.

Met CL Smoov and some other guy he was working the lake with, we all tried to nail that spot for about an hour. Fireball floated up and the 3 of us got to talking. CJ Smooth took off, and then about 30 mins later I moved and Fireball walked out and headed home.

walked down to the first spot. Talked with some dude who was fishing with his kids. Sun was setting, and I decided to try and hit up the north spot again. Got 2 bass there. One prob 1.5 lbs, another 1 lb or less.

Fished untill 9 with no bites after 8.

NOTE: If you fish for carp, PM me and I will let you in on a secret that you may or may not know. There was a least 6 DIFFERENT LARGE carp breaking the surface @ dusk. Large fish. I may try to catch them next time I go to the goon.

And now...the goods...

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/Fishing/Castiac%20Lagoon%203-20-10/DSC00965.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/Fishing/Castiac%20Lagoon%203-20-10/DSC00966.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/Fishing/Castiac%20Lagoon%203-20-10/DSC00967.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/Fishing/Castiac%20Lagoon%203-20-10/DSC00970.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/Fishing/Castiac%20Lagoon%203-20-10/DSC00971.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh192/McFingers2003/Fishing/Castiac%20Lagoon%203-20-10/DSC00973.jpg

Good Luck Everyone. The next week or so its gonna be a turkey shoot!!

Fire Ball
03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
It was night meeting you today. I'm glad to see you that caught some bass after losing that big one! No fish at the spot you were going to go to when I was leaving?

McFingers
03-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Nope, just some HEAVY THICK NASTY weed/sludge stuff and good conversation with a guy named Fred that I met.

LuvThymetal
03-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Nice job. Looks like a pretty big crappie to me.

Fishbreath
03-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Nice fish. Looks like fun. Too bad about the big one, but she got to show you her best stuff, and that's always a treat. I'm guessing that you released the crappie. Otherwise, I think you would have seen that it is actually a male all decked out in his spawning colors. I wonder why they are called black crappie?

McFingers
03-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Nice job. Looks like a pretty big crappie to me.

Thanks. Oddly enough, I got him drop shotting a 7" Robo. Go Figure...

Nice fish. Looks like fun. Too bad about the big one, but she got to show you her best stuff, and that's always a treat. I'm guessing that you released the crappie. Otherwise, I think you would have seen that it is actually a male all decked out in his spawning colors. I wonder why they are called black crappie?

Yeah I catch and release only on freshwater. salt is a different story... As for the spawning colors I am guessing you mean the green tint to his top half?

Fire Ball
03-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah I catch and release only on freshwater. salt is a different story... As for the spawning colors I am guessing you mean the green tint to his top half?

He is talking about all the black on him. The males get really dark and black during spawning season. If you check out my older reports, then you will see what they look like normally.

LuvThymetal
03-21-2010, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=McFingers;441006]Thanks. Oddly enough, I got him drop shotting a 7" Robo. Go Figure...

Haha wow on a 7" robo ? That's insane dude !! Hopefully ill be at Castaic this weekend.

Sparky70
03-21-2010, 04:56 PM
A 5lb Crappie???????

Bassnman Mike
03-21-2010, 07:56 PM
A 5lb Crappie???????

I think he was talking about a bass

Ray Lopez
03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
niice good to see the shore guys were slamming um too since my tube is down for the count now lol.

TheRiver
03-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice Crappie!
I assume you were fishing for bass and hook into a crappie, do you think if you would of fished for crappie you would have caught a lot more?(from the shore) I ask because I'm thinking about going down to the lagoon and fishing off the shore for crappie. I've read report of crappie heating up there! Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Theriver

Fire Ball
03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Nice Crappie!
I assume you were fishing for bass and hook into a crappie, do you think if you would of fished for crappie you would have caught a lot more?(from the shore) I ask because I'm thinking about going down to the lagoon and fishing off the shore for crappie. I've read report of crappie heating up there! Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Theriver

No, you have a very small chance of catching any crappie from shore because they are on the beds. You cannot find the beds from shore and the only chance you have is if you accidentally drag your lure across their bed. All most all of the beds aren't even within casting access from shore. Don't waste your time and just fish for bass. Remember to C&R.

Ray Lopez
03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
No, you have a very small chance of catching any crappie from shore because they are on the beds. You cannot find the beds from shore and the only chance you have is if you accidentally drag your lure across their bed. All most all of the beds aren't even within casting access from shore. Don't waste your time and just fish for bass. Remember to C&R.
I beg to differ i have seen quite a few guys catch crappie from the shoreline recently. I also got a few crappie hits this morning.

Fire Ball
03-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I beg to differ i have seen quite a few guys catch crappie from the shoreline recently. I also got a few crappie hits this morning.

I haven't seen any being caught from shore. How many were they catching?

Ray Lopez
03-24-2010, 06:14 AM
I haven't seen any being caught from shore. How many were they catching?

depens on the day. Most of the crappie i've caught recently have been right up on shore most of my hits have also been right off the shoreline. I guess it all depends on how you fish the areas. I've seen them caught by guys d/s'ing for bass throwing cranks. Also watched a few guys kill it from a certain spot on shore also. You just gotta know the spots to land um from shore and you could have a really good day.

TheRiver
03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the update Ray, I appreciated the info

That's good to know that they r being caught on the shore, don't have a proper vehicle to pull the boat down right now, but still wanted to give the crappie a try while they're heating up. I'm coming from Torrance so I wanted to know if there was a chance of shore fishing with any luck b4 making the long drive. Judging from the many posts on FNN the lagoon is cranking out some nice fish. Happy fishing everyone!

theriver