PDA

View Full Version : Great Day on the Tradition 3/20/10

Jackpot Jimmy
03-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Dad and I were looking forward to another day out on the water with our friends. We both were feeling under the weather come Friday, but that didn’t stop us. We headed down to Redondo and met up with our fellow Tradition regulars. We shot the breeze until Morgon collected everybody’s ticket stubs, and we promptly headed out en route to the fishing grounds after a quick stop at the new bait receivers, thanks to Steve Volaski (owner of the Coroloma), where we picked up some really nice sardines of various sizes. Steven told us to rig up for sculpin first, and we would be fishing rockfish later on. Derrick made some really good breakfast burritos while others rigged up their rods, and we soon arrived at the fishing grounds.

We arrived at the sculpin grounds and started a drift. Nothing was happening right away, but right as Steven fired up the engines to look around, we hooked our first sculpin and it was game on. The sculpin were anywhere from average sized to about two pounds and provided steady action for a while. We spun back around on the spot a few more times, with the drift being much faster on the last one due to the fog, which brought a slight breeze. We ended up with limits of sculpin, and we were off and running to the rockfish grounds.

Our first drift resulted in a few nice starry-eyed rockfish, barber poles, and others. I hooked something that ended up rocking me. It could’ve been a lingcod, so I wasn’t too sad about it – I just hope I catch it after they open in a week and a half. It would’ve been nice to see, though. We tried one more drift, and a nice salmon grouper and a few more nice starry-eyed and barber poles came up. With a few nice rockfish in the bags, Steven wanted to try something a little bit different, and we headed up the line to the shallows to try for a bass, triggerfish, more rockfish, and maybe a big sheephead.

Our first spot was in about 40 feet of water, which held only a short calico and a small cinnamon rockfish. We quickly moved on, and one lucky angler ended up getting a nice triggerfish at the next spot, which ended up winning jackpot. The bass were pretty finicky and not quite ready to bite, so we moved out deeper, and we ended up pulling a few nice bass off that spot, and a couple guys got ruined by some big bass. It was nice fishing the leadhead and squid bass fishing again.

With time running out, Steven turned the boat towards Redondo, and we headed on home. It was a nice day out on the water fishing with friends. The water was pretty flat all day and everyone went home with some tasty fillets thanks to Morgon, who did an awesome job as always on the fish cleaning board. Steven once again did a great job putting us on the fish, and Derrick made some really great food. Great times, great fishing!

Nothing like a father and son out sharing some good times together!
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-45.jpg

Jerry with a Nice Starry-Eyed Rockfish and Barber Pole
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-45.jpg

Tom with a Nice Barber Pole (Flag Rockfish)
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/004-34.jpg

Morgon with the Jackpot Winning Triggerfish
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-50.jpg

hakaveli
03-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Nice going there another TRIGGER FOR THE FINGER jackpot

JapanRon
03-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Nice job all~round with the fish, report, and pics. Ya ... that fog was thick ... kinda creepy. Seen 'The Fog' too many times I guess.

Thank you for the effort !!

JapanRon

murrieta angler
03-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Nice report Jimmy,
I fished with that man and his son once, can't remember which boat though.
You'll get that ling for sure in a couple of weeks.
Take care,
Robert

DockRat
03-21-2010, 05:52 AM
WTG Jimmy.

Hey Ron, Sat I saw some dude in a Big Block Jet River Boat with open exhaust's idleing around Pier J in the fog. Ha Ha
DR

deanhall32
03-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Truly a great day

Jackpot Jimmy
03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Nice going there another TRIGGER FOR THE FINGER jackpot

Thanks Hak! More and more triggers out there. I hope to catch another one soon!

Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Nice job all~round with the fish, report, and pics. Ya ... that fog was thick ... kinda creepy. Seen 'The Fog' too many times I guess.

Thank you for the effort !!

JapanRon

Thanks Ron. Yeah, the fog did get thick. It got pretty warm when we first went inside and we all took our jackets off, but quickly put them back on as the fog rolled on in.

Nice report Jimmy,
I fished with that man and his son once, can't remember which boat though.
You'll get that ling for sure in a couple of weeks.
Take care,
Robert

Thanks Robert! That's Tom and his son, Patrick. They've been out with us a few times.

WTG Jimmy.

Hey Ron, Sat I saw some dude in a Big Block Jet River Boat with open exhaust's idleing around Pier J in the fog. Ha Ha
DR

Thanks!

Truly a great day

Thanks Dean!

hbomb
03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Buen reporte and pics jimmy..