PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble setting hook on trout!!

Smells_Like_Fish
03-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I love to fish for trout using bait, but when it come to getting bites and trying to set the hook I usually lose the fish!

So is there any tips any of you have that can maybe help me catch more fish! ... I'm getting to excited when I get a good bite that I think I react to quickly and lose the fish!

Thanks!

Frenchy
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
fish open bail

Fire Ball
03-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Reel in your slack before you set if you have some slack in your line. Not sure what you are doing wrong if that isn't it. Could be your hooks.

Bradakas
03-20-2010, 10:37 PM
old hooks that lose their point do that often

Smells_Like_Fish
03-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Reel in your slack before you set if you have some slack in your line. Not sure what you are doing wrong if that isn't it. Could be your hooks.

I think what it might be is my drag on my reel is slightly too tight so when a fish hits I see my pole bounce then stretch it's self out like somethings on it. So probably the drag may be too tight and the fish spit it out. lol I dunno.

greygrizz
03-22-2010, 01:49 AM
I have found that when having trouble setting hooks .I change size of hooks smaller or bigger. Also when I fish bait and wait I always leave my line loose , what I mean ,line coming out of end of rod is hanging down about to middle of rod.Then I just watch line when I see it starting to tighten up ,pick up pole and wait until you feel fish pulling and give just a little pull back,and bendo. you will get them, just relax .Good Luck

Smells_Like_Fish
03-22-2010, 06:24 PM
I have found that when having trouble setting hooks .I change size of hooks smaller or bigger. Also when I fish bait and wait I always leave my line loose , what I mean ,line coming out of end of rod is hanging down about to middle of rod.Then I just watch line when I see it starting to tighten up ,pick up pole and wait until you feel fish pulling and give just a little pull back,and bendo. you will get them, just relax .Good Luck

Thank you for the advice!

AngryAgent
03-22-2010, 07:16 PM

And we have a winner!!!

Fireball is correct, you must wind tight before setting the hook. Your drag shouldn't really have much to do with it besides if its set too tight you can break the line (if it is a smaller diameter) while swinging too hard to set the hook. Be patient and take your time, when your fishing bait you will have more time then when your fishing with plastic because the fish is going to eat it I promise.

vanillagurilla
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
i dont fish bait but even when im fishing powerworms ill wind tight to the fish and then set the hook while winding. if your fishing with bait i would leave slack in my line and watch my slack or you can do the bobber trick. if your rodholders hold your rod horizontal with the water you can use a bobber hanging down below your reel with the bail open and when you get a bite the bobber will go up and the fish will take line off the open spool with out feeling the weight.

sansou
03-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Trout?

Could it be your not able to drive the hook past all your bait? I see this sometimes when people pack on worms and powerballs and all this stuff to creat a "powermouse" and what not (especially with too small of a hook, or when you use the wrong hook for the application like a salmon egg hook for "powermouse").

Just wondering...

Smells_Like_Fish
03-23-2010, 03:43 PM
when your fishing bait you will have more time then when your fishing with plastic because the fish is going to eat it I promise.

I'm assuming fishing bate is like night crawlers and such?? lol

Smells_Like_Fish
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
i dont fish bait but even when im fishing powerworms ill wind tight to the fish and then set the hook while winding. if your fishing with bait i would leave slack in my line and watch my slack or you can do the bobber trick. if your rodholders hold your rod horizontal with the water you can use a bobber hanging down below your reel with the bail open and when you get a bite the bobber will go up and the fish will take line off the open spool with out feeling the weight.

Thanks for the advice man.

I do the bobber trick, but I dont leave the bail open, is it really necessary to leave it open? I mean that makes sense, just wondering though because the fish will just swim and wont stop with the weight right lol.

My first year of trout fishing has been fun, but at times so frustrating.

Smells_Like_Fish
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Trout?

Could it be your not able to drive the hook past all your bait? I see this sometimes when people pack on worms and powerballs and all this stuff to creat a "powermouse" and what not (especially with too small of a hook, or when you use the wrong hook for the application like a salmon egg hook for "powermouse").

Just wondering...

lol that could be a problem, but i'm pretty good with not trying to pack on the bait ... I use a size 12 hook I believe.

Can you explain "Power Mouse" ... Still learning much lingo.

Thanks.

wackyrigged
04-04-2010, 04:34 AM
when bait fishing for trout hate to say it but your aiming for a gut hook I found that a reeling pressure type hook set not a quick jerk normal type set is 99 percent more effective i forget about this after fishing for bass for a while then going back to trout like powerbait fishing or something and i will lose every fish like your saying and real important dont set hook until your sure trout has it if not wait for next one because it will come back

Mojave River Angler
04-28-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm with sansou on this one. That was my first impression when I read your post. One of my early failings with trout was too much stuff on the hook. If you are puttin on PBish stuff roll it down to someting just a little larger than the hook. It takes a little while for a large bait ball to start to soften out there, so if you have just thrown out and get hit pretty soon you could yank that slipery ball right out of his mouth. I also go back and forth on using a bobber on my line and open bail. When the weather is dead still I like to go "naked"...open bail. In heavy winds I'll go with a bobber with a small sinker hooked on the bobber to gain controll over the wind.

Your results may vary.
Mojave River Angler

SierraPeaks
04-28-2010, 04:03 PM
When I'm bait fishing from shore or still fishing from a boat, the best thing to do is just be patient. It's very easy to tell the difference between a trout nibbling your bait or when he's swallowed it and definitely on. Many times one fish will be nibbling at your bait causing slight rod "tapping" movements, and another more aggresive trout will hoard in on him and swallow it just because he's a hog. But just relax and wait...you'll know when you're hooked up.

FISHINGBEE
04-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Although everyone has great points. Setting hooks can be a very difficult situation. Sometimes the fish just takes the bait. Thats the way they bite that day everyone hooks them. Then theres short bites the fish is not really wanting the bait. So sometimes there needs to be loose line open bail. Other times tight line when the trout strikes basically hooks him self. The weight your using could be the reason. Trout feels the weight lets go. Your setting the hook on nothing. It could always be different. The best advice is wait for the trout to bend rod and a noodle rod will be best. No stiff rods on trout fishing. The rod bends hook is set. There are so many different situations. I never always have it figured out never. Depends on how the trout is taking the bait that day. On tap tap bites on jigs and worms there are times you have to swing at the time of tap tap. Reeling down waiting to set hook might be too late. If the jig is swallowed then yes reeling slack line is necessary. I did not hear much about sharp hooks. The right size hook shape everything can make a difference. Treble hooks can be trouble at times single hooks work much better on worms. Example i was fishing a creek. The secret was feeling the tap tap lifting slowly on rod when the trout is on just reel slowly. Other guys were swinging for the stars and would miss all the time. The answer is different situations different hooking strategies. If everyone hooks fish 100 percent same way proclaims success is a liar. Others who wait too long may miss the strike. Sometimes if you do not wait it out you will miss the strike. Use your fisherman instincts.

FISHINGBEE

SierraPeaks
04-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Although everyone has great points. Setting hooks can be a very difficult situation. Sometimes the fish just takes the bait. Thats the way they bite that day everyone hooks them. Then theres short bites the fish is not really wanting the bait. So sometimes there needs to be loose line open bail. Other times tight line when the trout strikes basically hooks him self. The weight your using could be the reason. Trout feels the weight lets go. Your setting the hook on nothing. It could always be different. The best advice is wait for the trout to bend rod and a noodle rod will be best. No stiff rods on trout fishing. The rod bends hook is set. There are so many different situations. I never always have it figured out never. Depends on how the trout is taking the bait that day. On tap tap bites on jigs and worms there are times you have to swing at the time of tap tap. Reeling down waiting to set hook might be too late. If the jig is swallowed then yes reeling slack line is necessary. I did not hear much about sharp hooks. The right size hook shape everything can make a difference. Treble hooks can be trouble at times single hooks work much better on worms. Example i was fishing a creek. The secret was feeling the tap tap lifting slowly on rod when the trout is on just reel slowly. Other guys were swinging for the stars and would miss all the time. The answer is different situations different hooking strategies. If everyone hooks fish 100 percent same way proclaims success is a liar. Others who wait too long may miss the strike. Sometimes if you do not wait it out you will miss the strike. Use your fisherman instincts.

FISHINGBEE

The 2nd sentence in your reply says it all Mr. Bee. And that is why I suggested patience. The poster is new to trout fishing and setting the hook requires some experience. Your analogy of swinging for the stars was spot on. I've seen beginners do this time and time again and lose their fish. I think a lot of people watch fly fishing programs and think you have to aggresively set the hook like you do when fly fishing with minute single fly hooks. Simply not the case when bait fishing. Let the fish do the work for you...especially if you're a beginner. Wait for it...and bring him home when you're sure he's on.

Bebop
04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
There are alot of good post in reply to your question. I myself like a flexable rod, drag set right, light strong line open bail, small bobber and patience. You can't always get your catch because of drive byes, short bites and stupid mistakes. Time will make you better and so will great techniques that you learn from other anglers about bait fishing. Get into jig fishing and that is another fantastic fishing fun.BIG FISH