PDA

View Full Version : Brown Trout Fishing Tips

TaperSteve
03-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Ive never fished for Brown Trout or caught one. Does anyone have any tips they would like to share like, best time to fish for them, best baits to use, best spots to try, and anything else youd like to share. I plan on going Thurs, Im hoping to catch my 1st one.

TaperSteve

TroutOnly
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
LOW LIGHT IS BEST ,THAT MEANS EARLY AND LATE AND GIVE THEM MEAT CRAWLERS OR CRICKETS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Troutman65
03-16-2010, 11:54 PM
If your going to Corona , FLOAT TUBE . :Secret:

troutdog
03-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Like TO said I would be fishing straight crawlers, may want to try a thomas bouyant as well......

If your going to Corona , FLOAT TUBE . :Secret:

The mecca of all brown trout fisheries!

TD

jcskim
03-17-2010, 02:13 AM
in addition to crawlers do browns go after dry/wet flies? how packed do yall think its gonna be on friday, i plan on heading out before work?

Trout-Chaser
03-17-2010, 08:11 AM
in addition to crawlers do browns go after dry/wet flies? how packed do yall think its gonna be on friday, i plan on heading out before work?

They do go for dry/wet flies on moving water. Not sure how successful they would be for stockies in a lake though--but hey--you never know! But they can be aggressive, so you might take TD's tip and try the Thomas Bouyant to get strikes.

That said, browns can also be spooky and leader shy. Keep the line small and splashes to a minimum.

flytyingreloader
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I agree with all the above texts. Rainbows, goldens, cutts, and brookies you fish for.......browns are hunted.

jim532
03-17-2010, 10:18 AM

might be better off with a streamer

Trout-Chaser
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
might be better off with a streamer

Oh man--that's a GREAT IDEA! Forgot about those. Streamers can be deadly! You could probably fish a heavily weighted one, or one with some split shot about 6" - 12" up the leader, with spinning tackle on 2# test, and stripped/reeled back rapidly.

And yeah--hunting them--that's it exactly!

jmp_fishinn
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
good advice in here. im heading out saturday
to corona! i'm not too excited about the crowds, but hopefully i can find a spot!
i might have to try the cricket idea! how would i go about the set-up with crickets?
i got lures/jigs/dry flies/wet flies/power worms. im hoping to catch my first brownie. ahaha.

JAG107
03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't imagine they care much for powerbait...
How about power worms? The white ones especially seem deadly at Corona.
I have yet to catch a trout at Corona with any lure. I have caught exactly one on a minijig.
All that ever seems to work for me is powerbait and plastic trout worms. That's rainbows, though.

tpfishnfool
03-18-2010, 08:06 AM
#11-13 Orange Rapala !! Silver/Black will kill also..

Fishbones
03-18-2010, 11:43 AM
you wait around one of your local public school pools with a net and im sure one will come floating along....lol...sorry
i could not resist .....the title of the thread made me do it.....sorry again.

ive caught one brown trout in my life in the small rivers up in the mountains with a cheese ball......