PDA

View Full Version : Regulations on boat launch this year?

nellkev
03-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Anyone know what the regulations are for launching a boat in Eastern Sierra lakes this year? I know there were issues with the snails in the past and inspections. I couldn't find any information for this year. Also, I know Rock Creek lake is 5 mph max. Is there a max size motor for that lake. Thanks for info or directions where to find it.

Big Country
03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Snails and mussels will continue to be a problem in the waters so I wouldn't think any of the regulations would change year by year. It's safe to say that you will probably need to be inspected again prior to going out.

I dont know about particular lakes and speeds, but you can probably call and ask as soon as the resorts open up.

Sierra_Smitty
03-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Speed limit varies from lake to lake. There are no motor restrictions at present. Expect to be inspected at Crowley for Zebra/Quaggas....I don't believe anyone else in inspecting.

flytyingreloader
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
My experience last year is consistent with Smitty's text. Most Mono County lakes have a 10 MPH speed limit, posted at the launch points--County Ordinance.

A LOT of Sierra lakes' launch sites highly favor 14' boats. Having a 17' Triumph, a number of the smaller lakes' facilities are too small for my craft.

nellkev
03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the reply. My brother just bought an aluminum boat and was asking, I wasn't sure since I've only rented.

nellkev
03-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi Smitty, So I take it no snail inspection is required at South lake and Rock Creek lake? Do you know what the launch rate will be this year at South and do you have a guess when the ice will clear? I can't wait to get back up there. You are sitting on the edge of heaven and one lucky dude.

Sierra_Smitty
03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
No doubt my friend - I feel very fortunate for my view in the summer! ;-)

Correct - no inspections at South Lake....the water in my canyon apparently doesn't have enough of what the mussels need to thrive so Edison isn't worried. I don't think they really care about the snails either. South Lake is a free launch - we do ask private boaters for a $5 voluntary launch fee to help with Alpers stocking but its not mandatory. I'm guessing that South Lake will ice out sometime between May 12 and May 22....but that is just a guess based on what we've experienced over 4 seasons. The launch ramp will probably be useable by the 3rd week of June or so - depends on how fast the snow melts to bring the water level up to normal.

I'm not 100% sure what the deal is at Rock Creek Lake----I've never actually fished it from a boat. Now that I think about it, I think their rental fleet is all electric.....hmmm. You may want to call or email the folks at Rock Creek Lake Resort for the 411 on that.

nellkev
03-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Smitty, I was also thinking RC was only electric. Well I've always had much better luck with the fish at South lake anyway. I'll try to stop and say hi when we're up there and I'll be more than glad to hand over a 5 spot if you can point me towards an Alper. I hope your meeting went well with DFG. Maybe DWP can kick in something for stocking since they had enough money to give everyone a fat raise this year.

JAG107
04-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Smitty,
Do you think it would be possible to launch a 12' aluminum at South or Sabrina for Memorial weekend? I've only boated there after June or July (last year was my first year up there). I guess I'm asking if it would be ok to walk the boat to the water by hand. I'm sure you'll also have rentals available by then, right?
Thanks man, I'll be up there making good use out of your fantastic book this year many times!