PDA

View Full Version : San Onofre 3/14

murrieta angler
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
After getting skunked on Saturday at 3 different beaches, I thought I was done for the weekend...:Rolls Eyes:

I woke up at 5:20, but it wasn't 5:20, cause of daylight savings...:Confused:
While I was laying there, I thought to myself, I'm gonna catch a fish today DAMMIT!!!
Grabbed my stuff and was at Oceanside by 6:30, but it wasn't 6:30...:Confused:
Waves were crashing real hard and there was alot of salad in the water by the pier. I decided Oceanside cause I talked with some guy and he said the grunion had moved in the night before...:Surprised: Since I was there I decided to try for my elusive L.H. (legal halibut). After an hour of nothing but eel grass and plastic, I called it quits there.
I then decided to run up to San Onofre and try to get something there. Upon arrival, the waves looked bigger there than Oceanside, with twice as much salad. Man it's looking grim...:Sad:
I took off North towards Trestles and on the way there were 2 guys setting up to do some surf fishing. I stopped for a minute and talked to them, said good luck and continued on my way.
Got to where I would start and started casting, salad, salad, salad, ROCK, lost my LC 110, salad, salad... you get the idea! After 45 minutes I ended up with a brand new sand rod holder that came in on one of my casts.
I had enough, I decided to go back home, get my boat, and meet my buddy for our lobster trip:Rolls Eyes: THAT NEVER HAPPENED!!!

On my way back to the truck, I stopped and talked to the guys fishing the surf. While I was talking to Richard, his pole gets bent and he reels in a nice SFC,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/sanonofre3.jpg

Well, that got my adrenaline going, so I asked if I could fish with him and his cousin, Greg, he said sure and said use whatever he had, line, bait ( giant squid chunks), beers, hot wings...etc...:Cool:
I ended up fishing with them for about 3 hours and had a blast. Greg caught this little leopard shark,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/sanonofre2.jpg

and I ended up catching this little YFC,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/sanonofre1.jpg

Well, it was time I headed out cause of the lobster trip, (that did'nt happen). I told them about the website, I hope you guys read this, invited them to a Padres/Giants game and left.

It turned out to be a very nice day and one I will never forget.

God Bless Everyone,
Robert

sorry pics are sideways, I forgot to rotate...obviously

cjmedina
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
looks like you had somefun robert, bummer on losing the lc. i gotta say man you get around thats alot of driving. we should try kayak fishing its sweet

DockRat
03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
WTG on the YFC. Nice Spotfin.
DR

fisherman from long beach
03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
After getting skunked on Saturday at 3 different beaches, I thought I was done for the weekend...:Rolls Eyes:

I woke up at 5:20, but it wasn't 5:20, cause of daylight savings...:Confused:
While I was laying there, I thought to myself, I'm gonna catch a fish today DAMMIT!!!
Grabbed my stuff and was at Oceanside by 6:30, but it wasn't 6:30...:Confused:
Waves were crashing real hard and there was alot of salad in the water by the pier. I decided Oceanside cause I talked with some guy and he said the grunion had moved in the night before...:Surprised: Since I was there I decided to try for my elusive L.H. (legal halibut). After an hour of nothing but eel grass and plastic, I called it quits there.
I then decided to run up to San Onofre and try to get something there. Upon arrival, the waves looked bigger there than Oceanside, with twice as much salad. Man it's looking grim...:Sad:
I took off North towards Trestles and on the way there were 2 guys setting up to do some surf fishing. I stopped for a minute and talked to them, said good luck and continued on my way.
Got to where I would start and started casting, salad, salad, salad, ROCK, lost my LC 110, salad, salad... you get the idea! After 45 minutes I ended up with a brand new sand rod holder that came in on one of my casts.
I had enough, I decided to go back home, get my boat, and meet my buddy for our lobster trip:Rolls Eyes: THAT NEVER HAPPENED!!!

On my way back to the truck, I stopped and talked to the guys fishing the surf. While I was talking to Richard, his pole gets bent and he reels in a nice SFC,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/sanonofre3.jpg

Well, that got my adrenaline going, so I asked if I could fish with him and his cousin, Greg, he said sure and said use whatever he had, line, bait ( giant squid chunks), beers, hot wings...etc...:Cool:
I ended up fishing with them for about 3 hours and had a blast. Greg caught this little leopard shark,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/sanonofre2.jpg

and I ended up catching this little YFC,

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/sanonofre1.jpg

Well, it was time I headed out cause of the lobster trip, (that did'nt happen). I told them about the website, I hope you guys read this, invited them to a Padres/Giants game and left.

It turned out to be a very nice day and one I will never forget.

God Bless Everyone,
Robert

sorry pics are sideways, I forgot to rotate...obviously

a robert next season on the bugs for sure,this time maybe a lil earlierlike when the season opens.lolnot the weakend b4 closure.

Wingnut
03-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Way to keep at it Robert, your fortitude is admirable. Keep it up!
I was invited several times to go hooping this Lobster season but couldn't manage to find the time... next year!

Jaysuuun
03-16-2010, 04:28 PM
That was really cool of them to share their supplies and food. Heck I would have stayed for the beers and hot wings. LOL Nice YFC! A lot of people don't care too much for them, but I think they put up a pretty good fight on light tackle. :Cool:

victor101
03-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Weve all been there. Good job keeping at it and getting the skunk off!

flyngby
03-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Robert,

Keep putting your time in and it will pay off! Looks like some nice new friends willing to share a common theme!

A nice YFC!

Sorry about the Bug trip! It did not happen for me either even though I was invited at least 20 times! Who do I blame but me.

Steve

murrieta angler
03-17-2010, 07:00 AM
looks like you had somefun robert, bummer on losing the lc. i gotta say man you get around thats alot of driving. we should try kayak fishing its sweet

Hey Carlos,
I don't think I'm ready to add kayaking to my list of fishing styles just yet. But, it's not to say I won't in the future.
Talk to you later,
Robert

murrieta angler
03-17-2010, 07:01 AM
WTG on the YFC. Nice Spotfin.
DR

Thanks DR,
IT's my first from the surf.
Robert

murrieta angler
03-17-2010, 07:02 AM
a robert next season on the bugs for sure,this time maybe a lil earlierlike when the season opens.lolnot the weakend b4 closure.

Hey FFLB,
Better late than never, (if I had gone).
Robert

murrieta angler
03-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Way to keep at it Robert, your fortitude is admirable. Keep it up!
I was invited several times to go hooping this Lobster season but couldn't manage to find the time... next year!

Hey Arthur,
Thanks for the kind words.
I see the SWAT TEAM, had a nice day this past weekend. Nothing like getting with some friends and doing some fishing.
Take Care,
Robert

murrieta angler
03-17-2010, 07:07 AM
That was really cool of them to share their supplies and food. Heck I would have stayed for the beers and hot wings. LOL Nice YFC! A lot of people don't care too much for them, but I think they put up a pretty good fight on light tackle. :Cool:

I didn't eat any of their food or drink any beer, but I did use some of their bait. I wouldn't know about a good fight with the YFC, I was using 12lb test and reeled him in pretty easily, BUT, I wouldn't mind catching some again with some lighter line.
Take Care and Await Your Reports and Pictures,
Robert

murrieta angler
03-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Weve all been there. Good job keeping at it and getting the skunk off!

Thanks Victor,
See you soon,
Robert

murrieta angler
03-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Robert,

Keep putting your time in and it will pay off! Looks like some nice new friends willing to share a common theme!

A nice YFC!

Sorry about the Bug trip! It did not happen for me either even though I was invited at least 20 times! Who do I blame but me.

Steve

EXACTLY!!!
No one to blame but ourselves. It's all good, October is just 6 months away and I will dive, for sure, for some bugs next year.
Thanks for the read,
Robert