PDA

View Full Version : Blake Jones

sierraslam
03-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I fished around the Blake Jones Derby in Bishop, and did pretty good at PVR. Went up Friday and started fishing the ramp area about 1:00. Fishing started slow, but by the stingers we saw we knew the fish were there. At 3:00 the bite picked up and my partner got a nice 3 pound bow. I caught a one eyed brood stocker that was about the same size. Then the Alpers truck came and dumped the big boys. It took a while but the fish acclimated and started feeding. We each got one more nice fish and called it a day. Saturday we let the Derby fishers have at it, we went to the Gorge. Just basically walked the horseshoe and checked it out. Went back to PVR when the Derby ended at 3:00 and had the place to ourselves. More nice fish and another nice Alper for my buddy. Sunday was my day. I caught 5 fish all 2 + pounds the biggest about 4 pounds. My best day at PVR . I'll be smoking trout tonight! Can't wait for the April 24th Opener! good fishin!

JusStartnOut
03-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Congrats on you and your partners success. Ill be going up this Thursday morning to hit up the Owens and maybe PVR. Cant wait.

Drifter
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. We fished the derby saturday, fishing seemed to be slow. Caught a lot of small fish in the morning befor the bite shut off at 10:30. The wind and cold was too much for us, so we called it a day. Went back to PVR on sunday and had the same results with much more pleasant weather. Floating night crawlers gave us the best results. Not too many fish hitting the jigs or power worms like last year. Overall it was a relaxing trip with decent results. Always beats working.

BishopTrouter
03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
does anyone know how big the winning fish was?

Catch & Filet
03-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Winning fish was 10lb rainbow, 2nd was 8 1/2lb brown.

Trout-Slayer77
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
here is a link to some pics of those big fish that were caught. congrats to the winners in the derby !
http://www.wonews.com/t-EasternSierraReport_strelneck_031510.aspx

flytyingreloader
03-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Nice feesh! I had range days planned for varmint season sight-ins this week, but maybe a couple days at PVR and the Owens might be time better spent, since the Arctic conditions seem to have left for the near term. Very tempting.

tpfishnfool
03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I'll be smoking trout tonight! Can't wait

Do you roll your own or burn it in a Bong ? Just askin... :-)

TroutOnly
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I worked in bishop that monday thru thursday,the guys property next to where i worked had 600 alpers fish that he had been growing for tim for about a year,they were coming friday to take the one load the chamber of commerce was buying this year, its not like the old days when they did alot more stockings,there several of the guys who have there own giant trout ponds stream ked water makes it easy to keep them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

sierraslam
03-17-2010, 06:52 AM
I only smoke kush Trout in the Bong. The Rainbows are smoked on the BBQ. I like it both ways.

JAG107
03-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Great report, nice job on the bows!

Trotline
03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
here is a link to some pics of those big fish that were caught. congrats to the winners in the derby !
http://www.wonews.com/t-EasternSierraReport_strelneck_031510.aspx

Thnks for posting this. thats me and My girl with the " Early Limits" in the 1st picture. It was my 15th Blake Jones. Getting up out of the tent when it still dark 4:30 A.M. (cold) and riding our bikes up to the resivour definatly paid off for us.

We had our limit by 9:00 A.M. and were riding our bikes out of there as the sun was coming over the bluffs, the winds were starting up and everybody else was walking in.

My biggest was a 4lb and my girlfrind caught a nice 3lb rainbow the day of the derby. We spent a week up there so we caught all the fish we could want. Lots of quality fish up there right now, hardly any little ones. We did good on the Owens all week then the weekend came and they kicked up the water flows and fishing dropped off. Thanks DWP.

I have lots of pics on my memory card but using a dinisoar 10 year old laptop so no way to upload them.