PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned at the Jewel

hoghuntr
03-14-2010, 11:11 PM
My buddy and I both took personal days off work Friday to avoid the weekend crowd of which we are usually a part of. We ran toward the vicinity of the West Dam, just inside, where the quarry wall starts. We picked up a couple quick fish and then it slowed, so we pulled up and headed for the corner of the West Dam, where the little rock and the big rock meet on the face (SW corner). I shut the big motor off a good distance away for the stealth approach and coasted in. I lower the trolling motor while we are still coasting holding my spinning rod armed with a Green Pumpkin Senko eagerly waiting to make the long cast. At this point tragedy struck, or should I say the painful and costly comedy of errors started.
You see, as I was coasting, (stealthy I might add) in anticipation of making that long cast, I conveniently forgot to flip my bail. When I reared back and casted my sweet little Loomis with all my might, it slipped right out of my hands and in to the drink. Being the athletic soul that I though I was, I immediately reached in to save my precious little Quantum, Loomis combo that has been so good to me. I was within an inch of saving it as it sank ever so slowly out of reach. A little farther and oh no, I am falling into the Lake. Of course as I am falling, I try to save myself by leg hooking the side of the boat. In the process, I proceed to kick out 3 more rods with me. My buddy races up to the front of the boat (I can’t repeat exactly what he was saying) but he was yelling and laughing, dude what in the f… are you doing. His quick thinking saved two of my rods, but the third was eager to join his Loomis buddy that was already halfway to the DVL graveyard. So there I am, holding on for dear life, begging my buddy to give me a hand. At that point it dawns on me to tell him to turn the trolling motor off, as I see visions of him reaching over and hitting the foot control and cutting me up for a chum line. He pulls me in and there I am, wet and very disappointed. I proceed to keep fishing, in shock I think, and actually hook up on my first cast. After 30 minutes or so it starts to get a little cold so I talk my buddy into giving me his sweat pants ( he had shorts under them) and I fish the rest of the day with no shoes and a pair of oversize sweat pants. To top off the day, as I was waiting for my buddy to back the trailer down to load the boat, I was stepping from the back of the boat to the front to put my rods away, (the ones that decided to stay on board). I caught my little toe on a corner and you can see the result in the attached picture. The result for the day:
20 fish between the two of us, lost Quantum/Loomis spinning outfit, lost Quantum/ Crucial spinning outfit, broken toe and a lifetime of laughs around the campfire.

Tight lines.

Frenchy
03-14-2010, 11:16 PM
wow that suck so im guessing no more personal days for fishing reasons

IncredibleHuck
03-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Well thanks for sharing with us! Days like this you can only just look back at and laugh.

flemgator
03-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Man I would love to meet a man willing to tell such a tragic tale... I think we can all relate, but I can't top that story. I'm going out tomorrow (Tuesday) and will drop shot till it kills me. I finally realized I'm using the wrong hook for the set-up. Instead of using some type of Octupus hook I've been using regular worm hooks. Flemgator

AmBASSador
03-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Thats awesome that you had the balls to tell that story. I can definitely appreciate that. I think we have all had those kind of days. Good luck next time!

Fire Ball
03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow, that really sucks. At least you caught a bunch of fish though! Since you were already wet, you should have just dove down and found your rods! Haha, I would have.

fishntime
03-15-2010, 12:49 PM
HOLY Crap, I think that might be one of the most funniest and at the same time saddest stories Ive read in awhile. Sucks to hear that you lost 2 geat combos, and that you fell in the water. But it happens to all of us. I too, have fallen in the lake and let me tell you I look back and actually laugh. At least you had a good day of fishing.

Trout-Chaser
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Ohhhhh nooooo! It's hard to decide what part of that story sucks the most! Jeez, that's bad news losing good tackle. But perhaps the DVL gods will reward you well into the future with addtional nice catches for that nice sacrifice you gave up!

spoon2610
03-15-2010, 03:34 PM
OH MAN! funny and sad at the same time, next time i see you imma buy u a beer. But the 2 combo's that are gone awwww man RIP . like TC said maybe now the water gods will hook you up with that DD's

phantom 34
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
had my pinkie toe break on my left foot.it hurt like hell i thought the pain was going to go away but was i wrong.the only thing the doctor did was tape it and gave me some codeine.took about 2 weeks to start feeling better,so i feel you bro.oh good job on the fish and sorry on the rods and reels.

DarkShadow
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Daaamn. Sounds like a tough day.

the only thing the doctor did was tape it and gave me some codeine.

Ahh, health care at its finest.