PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for healthy fish recipes

billy b
03-14-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm thinking I need to eat more fish for my health. I'm thinking that breading mixes will kill the health benefits.

Any thoughts or suggestions from you pros would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a 1,000,000

Troutman65
03-15-2010, 12:12 AM
A couple things you can do is bake & Steam your fish. I like to just use little salt , pepper , galric , olive oil . You can add onions, lemon etc. For steaming the fish on the bbq, place seasoned fish on a sheet of foil that is large enough to wrap the fish up and seal it shut. Put on the bbq in indirect heat and cook . Cooking times can vary depending on the size of the pice of the fish your cooking. Baking , I would place fish on baking sheet add salt, pepper, or what ever seasonings you want , again use olive oil and bake it . Oven temp. 350* for 10 min. or untill the fish is done till your likeness. (You always want to pre heat your oven) I would have some fresh veggies steaming also to go with the fish . If veggies are not your thing you can do some wild rice to go with your fish . Hope this helps you out

Trout-Chaser
03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Just a tip: Try not to eat saltwater species more than two or three times a month, especially those caught in the Santa Monica Bay, as the mercury and other pollutant levels are astronomical. Freshwater fish like trout are a better choice if you want to eat more (amount-wise).

Broiling is also an option for both fresh and saltwater fish; just keep an eye on it while its cooking!

fishinone
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I figured that deep frying is the real problem with breading so I came up with this.

Fillet the fish then dip the fillets in egg and roll them in bread crumbs.

Put the breaded fillets on a greased cookie sheet and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees until golden brown.

Sometimes I cut the fillets into shrimp size pieces so that I can eat it like shrimp after it's cooked

Hometown
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I like to merinade my fish in italian dressing and bbqing it

sansou
03-19-2010, 07:52 PM
If you are truly health conscious or have a precarious health (heart) condition, avoid eating Tilapia. Yep, Tilapia.

Recent studies reveal it is high in Omega 6....which is the bad omega.

As for cooking recipes/methods , there's one FNNer that steams trout in his dishwasher!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
S A S H I M I ! ! ! ! ! .....only bad part is the soy sauce....wasabi and hot steamed rise is ok tho ;)

SierraPeaks
04-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Three words...bake , broil, or grill. Also, bread crusting your fish is not necessarily unhealthy, providing you use a light bread crumb such as panko bread crumbs.

Sparky70
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Peaks is right, only I dip mine in flour, then eggwash, then Panco Mix...toss em in the deep fryer until golden brown, then toss down the HATCH.

midgettosser1
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
If you are planning on eating salmon:

Place salmon on baking sheet (usually make a "boat" out of foil and place the salmon on that so it catches any excess oil and reduces the clean up).

Top with olive oil and dill
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.

Extremely easy, and tastes good.

If you like spicy, you can replace dill with cajun spices. Buy a blend, or make your own.
Normally I work with what I have in the cabinet. I usually just throw olive oil, cayenne pepper, lawrys seasoning, black pepper, etc on there.

elevated
05-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Easiest asian steamed fish recipe (pretty much works well with any fish that has white firm meat). My lady cooks striper, sand/kelp bass, sheephead, etc...

Ingredients:
1) Ginger about 2 stalks (you can't have enough, it really kills the fishy flavor) .
2) Green Onions
3) Soy sauce (you can use the low sodium).
4) Cooking rice wine
5) Sugar

Cut the ginger in match stick sizes. Slice the green onions.

Cut slits in the fish (you can use a whole fish or fillets) and stuff about 3/4 of the ginger and green onions into the cavity of the fish and the slits on each side. Steam the fish and place in a serving dish.

Sauce: In a shallow pot or frying pan sauté a half cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of cooking rice wine, and about a teaspoon of sugar. Taste the sauce, it should taste salty/sweet. Add the rest of the green onions and ginger and sauté for about another min. Then pour this mix all over the fish and enjoy. Btw try to make the sauce before you steam the fish, then just heat it up and add the ginger and green onions last so your steamed fish is not sitting out to long, the sauce should be poured over the fish while its pretty hot.

* the measurements are approximate, anyone I know who uses this recipe always eyeballs it. Try to make enough sauce to cover the fish and have a decent pool for dipping the fish in in the serving pan after you pour it over.