PDA

View Full Version : What Now?

Full_Stringer
03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey everyone! Just picked up a new Fish Cat 4. Still have it in the box. I am a complete newb to float tubing. I have NEVER been, nor have I seen anyone do it, except on the internet. LOL. It just seems like so much fun!!! I will mostly be using it in our So. Cal. lakes and occasionally taking it to the harbours etc...
All I have is the float tube atm. After spending a few days reading up on these forums, I kinda got a jist of what I need now... Here are a few questions I have, if anyone could help.

1.) Waders- Basically, stocking or with boot? I have never tried on waders before so I have no personal preferance, what would you guys recommend? Something universal, for ocean, lake, summer, winter, etc...

2.) Fins- Typical fins from Bass Pro or the like?

3.) Rod Holders- Should I buy the ones at the store or make my own? It seems a little complex to piece em' together?

4.) Ummmm.... Where do you guys put the fish? LOL

5.) There is room in the back of the Fish Cat, what do you guys put there? Cooler for drinks etc?

6.) Fish Finder...I am going to get one of these puppies for sure, but is it a must have item atm?

7.) Anything else? Am I missing something here that I would need to know or have?

One last thing, where can I get information about tubing the lakes and harbours? Where to launch, any rules etc..?

Thanks everyone in advance for taking the time to read through all of this. Hopefully I can get some help. I am very excited to go out but kinda nervous as well.

Also, can you float tube at night in any of our lakes here? Corona, etc...

Nessie Hunter
03-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Waders;
I have always used the Stocking foot type, that gives me the option to wear the same fins when its hot and I dont use the waders.
Otherwise you need two pair of fins, the boots are way to big to use one pair...
Plus the foot is much lighter and you can fin/fish longer with much less effort... (those boot foot waders are Heavy as heck)!!!

Hot Spot Fins all the way for me.. Went through about 4 or 5 pair of fins before I got them... Love em.....

Size of waders?? You will have to try them on, but I recommend you get ones that fit like Clown pants (oversized)...
That allows for wearing warm clothes underneath in winter & cold water, easy on & off and also when you need to drain the bladder.

Rod holder?? you can easily convert a Third grip holster for that. If you feel you need more, it a personal preference thing..
I, at most, just carry one extra rig in the third grip.....

The area behind seat comes in very handy for sandals to protect wader feet before you launch, Clothes, lunch, cooler etc etc..

Carry fish??? Im all CPR on those.. But some who keep a few trout just attach a stringer to a "D" ring...
Do not keep fish in the Saltwater, you asking for trouble from Seals and other critters...

You 'must' have a PDF. "All water craft" must have at least 1 for each passenger, "readily available" (dont have to wear it)..

You 'must' have a whistle or horn as a warning device....

At night, most lakes close to boats & all watercraft..
Some (like Puddingstone) have regs about WHERE you can tube.. Ask or call the lake ahead of time..
The Pudd also checks for PDF before they allow you to enter....

The bays are open 24/7 and you need lights at night (or on a lake, you also need lights)..
I have several times had CG & HP come by when wearing only a headlamp (one white light needed for stopped watercraft) I have never been hassled by them, guess im slow enough to be considered stopped... LOL....
But I always get the heck out of ANY boats path, just to be safe, I know 90% of the time they can not see me......

Beside fishing, Float Tubing has been the best thing I have taken up as a hobbie...
I love it, alone or with a group....

Fire Ball
03-14-2010, 10:18 AM
For the waders, I would just go with the stocking foot ones like I have so that you can wear normal dive fins with them. That being said, just get normal dive fins. They work better and are cheaper. If you can't devise a way to put your rods on you tube without getting something (I devised a way), then just build something yourself. It should be cheaper and you will be able to customize it more. Release you bass! You don't need to keep them. If you want to keep trout, just bring a stringer or something and tie it to your tube. I've seen guys put a bunch of different things in the back of their Fish Cats. Mainly a PFD and water, maybe a couple other things. I have a fish finder for my tube and it is definitely worth it, but I didn't use mine my last trip because I was sight fishing. If you are going to be fishing shallow all of the time, you really don't need one, unless you want to go along one day and find some cover or structure and then fish it the next day. Make sure you don't forget the PFD!

mytyt
03-14-2010, 10:24 AM
As for # 5 you may not want to drink to much when your in your tube.
#3 you'll need one unless you plan on taking only one rod. I bought one at basspro that i use bungee cords to attach.
# 6 I just bought one and plan on getting it wet on Monday. I got a Fishin Buddy 130
#4 I let them all go but a stinger or floating basket will work.
It's a little strange walking around in your fins and waders but once you get in it's pretty cool and you get up close and personal with the water and the fish.
You will need a net.

Mojave River Angler
03-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Speaking of a net, don't forget that if you use the same net for fresh and salt, that it has to meet the minimum size for salt. I think that is 18x18 but others could verify. The Promar guy at the Fred Hall show guided me to the one that meets these specs.

Fire Ball
03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
You shouldn't need a net. You are so low to the water that you can just lip your fish. I've never used a net and it would just be a hassle to get your net out while fighting a fish just to land it.

Full_Stringer
03-14-2010, 01:45 PM
thanks for all the replies, been a great help. Heading out to look for some waders now. Gonna go with stocking! Also, gotta pick up a pfd. Don't have one yet.

Nessie Hunter
03-15-2010, 09:30 AM
You shouldn't need a net. You are so low to the water that you can just lip your fish. I've never used a net and it would just be a hassle to get your net out while fighting a fish just to land it.

Its (net) required for Saltwater fishing...
Try lipping a Halibut or Sting Ray.... LOL...
I think its to protect undersize, protected and out of season fish though...

I do carry a Boga Grip in Salt, never a net.. Never been hassled???? (Famous last words??)

Fire Ball
03-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Its (net) required for Saltwater fishing...
Try lipping a Halibut or Sting Ray.... LOL...
I think its to protect undersize, protected and out of season fish though...

I do carry a Boga Grip in Salt, never a net.. Never been hassled???? (Famous last words??)

A Boga Grip is probably a better idea for a tube. You don't have to lip the hali, you can grab it by the tail or just pull it up on your tube. :LOL:

Full_Stringer
03-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Ok guys, picked up waders (stocking), fins, boots, a pfd. To get started what else is needed to get in the water?
A whistle? and what is the deal with a orange flag or something? Also at night, do I need anything other than a led light on my hat or head?
Thanks for your help. I don't know all the rules, and I don't want to get to a lake (or harbour) and have someone say I can't get in cause i'm missing something.

yakker
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Stringer, take it out and get a feel for it before you go putting a lot dough on the line. I've tubed a few times I always wound up using the pfd for a seat cushion, and I never took a lot of gear, Its nice to have a place to change up your hook. I got a LED offa buddy, and I got a whistle offa hypo. packaging your tackle will be a main accomplishment, crappie, bass, surf, salt, sandies, I keep those little basspro boxes for each. And consider you bladder when choosing a beer cooler. tight lines

EL_CHIDO
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
and what is the deal with a orange flag or something?

It's a requirement in some places - Castaic for sure:
http://www.castaiclake.com/lowerlake.html

Float Tubes

All float tubes require launch permits, which should be displayed in a manner similar to fishing licenses.
U.S. Coast Guard approved Personal Floatation Devices (PFD’s) must be worn.
All applicable Fish and Game regulations will be enforced.
Use of float tubes is restricted to the Castaic Lake Lagoon.
Whistles or other sound signaling devices, while not required, ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.
A 12” x 12” orange square is required on the back of the float tube.

Fire Ball
03-19-2010, 05:27 PM
It's a requirement in some places - Castaic for sure:
http://www.castaiclake.com/lowerlake.html

Float Tubes

All float tubes require launch permits, which should be displayed in a manner similar to fishing licenses.
U.S. Coast Guard approved Personal Floatation Devices (PFD’s) must be worn.
All applicable Fish and Game regulations will be enforced.
Use of float tubes is restricted to the Castaic Lake Lagoon.
Whistles or other sound signaling devices, while not required, ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.
A 12” x 12” orange square is required on the back of the float tube.

Don't worry if you don't have the orange square. They don't care, lol. I would definitely be a good idea in a harbor or something with lots of boat traffic.

Nessie Hunter
03-20-2010, 07:51 AM
My older Caddis Nevada Gold had an Orange seat back... My ODC does not...
I dont have a flag or other Orange marking now...

I do have a cheapo Wally World $5 PFD that is Orange.. I keep it attached to "D" ring and in back of my ODC..
I have been to The Pudd several times and all they have ever asked for at the gate is "Do you have a PFD"...

I guess if I am ever asked or hassled I could attach it to the seat back or?????.....

I have float tubed Lake Arrowhead.. They require Float Tubes to Fly a White flag..
Attached (taped) a white trash bag to an old Rod and stuck/wedged it in behind the seat.....