PDA

View Full Version : Edison Lake?!?

Trout 1
03-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Hey i was wonderding if anyone has fished edison lake?? If so how was it? Can i take a RV back to the lake or a car?? Thanks :Cool:

Trout 1

hike2fish
03-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Unfortunately I only go once a year, but that is an awesome lake. An RV would make it, but the big problem is it's a one lane road (literally) from Huntington Lake up, and the turnouts are not that wide. I know if you call head to the Vermillion Resort, they shut traffic down at certain times and on certain days from going down the road, so it makes it easier to convoy up, but I do not know if they do that anymore.

Nice big browns up there, doesn't open until late May or depending on CALTRANS and the road being cleared. You can get more information from the High Sierra Visitor Center, and you can reserve a spot through reserveamerica.com, when it opens, there are some free camping areas, but we never beat those people in, so we end up getting a campground anyway.

Hope this helps.

hike2fish

Trout 1
03-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks alot! What works up there for fishing? all i really do is mini jig but the ppl i go with use a lot of pb? Thanks again

Trout 1

skutaboi
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM
It is a special place. I would throw a bit of caution in though, since you have not traveled this road before do it in a truck or car that has high clearance before you take in a RV. The road is not safe and maintained. You will understand once you travel it and can determine if it is a good idea to take your "RV" later. Make sure your brakes are in tip top shape but use your gears and go slow. You will be amazed at the beauty you discover there be safe.

Trout 1
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
It is a special place. I would throw a bit of caution in though, since you have not traveled this road before do it in a truck or car that has high clearance before you take in a RV. The road is not safe and maintained. You will understand once you travel it and can determine if it is a good idea to take your "RV" later. Make sure your brakes are in tip top shape but use your gears and go slow. You will be amazed at the beauty you discover there be safe.

Alright thanks for the advice man!

Trout 1

Trout 1
03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
bump......

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Trout 1
I've been to Edison many times over the 40+ years I've been going to the west side of the Sierras.
True, it's better to take a pickup or car on your first trip on Kaiser Pass Road since it is only a one lane asphalt/rock/dirt road with small turnouts. There are only a couple places big enough to let another car pass you where a RV can get by safely. VERY skillful professional drivers have made it to Edison in a tractor trailer rig, trailers up to 40 ft long.
My opinion, a good experienced RV driver can make it to Edison in a rig 26 ft or less.
For the fishing, fly fishing is very popular there and having a boat helps even more. Best spot on the lake to fish is where the river comes in which is across the lake, only accessible by boat. During the regular season Vermillion Resorts also runs a ferry across the lake. You might want to check that out. Jigs will work, PB will work, but you'll be beter off not using PB since you'll be wanting to catch the big fish, either by jigs, flies, nightcrawlers, or Rapalas.
Along side the road you'll pass a couple other placed to wet a line. Portal Forebay is a small lake next to the road where you can catch a quick limit of planted rainbows on PB or inflated nightcrawlers. You'll also cross a bridge where a river goes under it, I think it's the San Juaquin River, where it's a restricted gear place to fish. Check the DFG Rules.
There is also Florence Lake, which is another place for big brown trout and the DFG plants rainbows also. I think there is a ferry service there also. Many backpackers and knlowledgable fishermen use it since it takes you across the lake where the river enters.
That whole area of the Sierras has great fishing. The more natural baits you use, the more fish you end up catching. My fav place up there is Wishon Resavoir. I've posted in the Nor Cal Forum a few times and have turned on a few to that area. Big browns there too.
Hope this helps. PM me if you want more info.
TTFM