PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for (Trout rod)

AngryAgent
03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Just wanted to see what you guys have in mind when you're looking for a trout rod or having one custom wrapped. What are the most important things to you?

Guides
Reel seat
Length
Blank action
Weight
Price
If the rod is spined etc etc...

If everything is all the same I know everyone wants the best of the best for the cheapest price possible. So please discuss..

calico killer kevin
03-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Depends on the budget...
If money is no issue:

TATSG's to Micros
Carbon Fiber Split Grip with EVA and no grips around the reel seat, just epoxy ramps
Depends...7'2" for DS...6'9"-7'0" for Mini Jigging...
Depends...Ex-Fast for DS...Fast for Mini Jigging...
As low as possible
Like I said...this list is for "price is no issue"
Of course, who wants to pay $$$ for a custom rod that isn't spined correctly?

AngryAgent
03-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I like your style Kev...

That was always my gripe with buying an off the shelf Loomis, not spined go figure. For $300.00 what the hell right!

vanillagurilla
03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
action is number one in my book along with length. if the rod dosnt work whats a $100 set of guides going to do? the price of a rod dosnt make it any better than a cheaper one. a $600 rod might work for some and a $40 rod might work for some. i like phenix rods but there heavy and a little on the stiff side. sage blanks are great but a little light for me (dont ask, i feel like its going to break in my hand lol). and if the rod builder cant spine a rod then he has no buisness touching a rod in his life ever again.

billy b
03-14-2010, 08:05 AM
What is spine?

IncredibleHuck
03-14-2010, 09:04 AM
. and if the rod builder cant spine a rod then he has no buisness touching a rod in his life ever again.

LOL that is one of the first things if no the first thing you do when building the rod! And it only takes a minute.

AngryAgent
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
What is spine?

Rods all have a spine. That is to say that if you take a blank and use one hand to apply slight pressure to the tip of the blank giving it a bend and use the other hand to "roll" the blank acrossed the floor the blank would jump to one spot and that would be the spine. Now some rods have more then one spine so you have to find out which one is the main and build from that one.

Now rods are spined for one reason and one reason alone. When you are fighting a fish and your rod is loaded up it will naturally try to roll to it's spine. If the rod isn't spined correctly then this can create problems such as line breaks and line touching the blank. IF the rod is spined correctly then when under load it will point down towards the water without rolling and provide you with more effective leverage.

Hope this helped a little I am terrible at explaining things, it all makes sense to me though:Envious:

AngryAgent
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM
action is number one in my book along with length. if the rod dosnt work whats a $100 set of guides going to do? the price of a rod dosnt make it any better than a cheaper one. a $600 rod might work for some and a $40 rod might work for some. i like phenix rods but there heavy and a little on the stiff side. sage blanks are great but a little light for me (dont ask, i feel like its going to break in my hand lol). and if the rod builder cant spine a rod then he has no buisness touching a rod in his life ever again.

Action is your number one but a set of guides that are significantly lighter will change the action on a blank as well. For instance a loomis IMX rod factory wrapped will have a completely different action when it's wrapped with a set of titanium guides and spined. Weight is a major factor towards rod action.

Marley
03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I want the rod to feel good in my hands. Pick it up, touch it, wiggle it, dry-cast it. If it doesn't feel good, it goes back. Even though there's going to be a reel, I like it to be a little butt-heavy. I want it to shut off rather quickly (probably why I can't get mini jigs to work). I don't want to mess with a trigger or a hook keeper. My two favorite rods are a 5'6" Ugly Stick that I've had for more than 25 years and that cost me $25, and a Daiwa SpinMatic bought at Culver's in Bishop for $45.
I own three Phenix rods (actually five if you count the pieces that two have broken into) and you could not pay me to own another. I love the way GLoomis rods feel but I can't bring myself to pay that much after my experience with Phenix. Ditto Lamiglass. I don't mind paying for quality, but I want it to deliver without hassle. Taking advantage of a warranty is a hassle.
I like soft guides, or at least the tip. Cork handles are pretty, but not necessary. Foam/Hypalon are just fine.
And I'm not sure that a splined trout rod is really necessary, since it's fished upside down (guides on the bottom). I have never noticed if any of my sticks have that issue or not.

MAVERICK27
03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
This is great info. All technology aside..there are some people that like very "noodley" rods like Carrot Stick and Kencor while others like a stiffer backbone. I love a stiff backbone like the ugly sticks, but a lighter more quality version. I have a nice Phenix custom wrap that is incredible for jigging, but I hate it for baitfishing and lures. It lacks backbone that I prefer for hooksets. I have a Phenix Elixir that is 7'6" with a stiffer backbone and very light with a very very sensative tip. You have to decide what you like to use and for what purpose. Sometimes whether it costs $25 or $300....whatever makes you happy and gives you confidence :)

calico killer kevin
03-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Carrot Stick are not at all "noodley" rods. Just cause they're orange doesn't mean it's magnaglass.

Ultralight
03-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Guides - definitely Fuji Titanium TATSGs. Micros too.
Power - just soft enough to cushion 2 lbs, fast action, lots of backbone. This maximizes sensitivity. So this is a lot more power than most trout rods but works for me.
Balance - huge for me. Has to be perfectly balanced on the 1st and 2nd finger without any added weight to kill sensitivity.
Weight - 1.5 oz/7 footer. (They actually range from 1.4 to 1.6 oz depending on cosmetics.)
Handle - Ergonomic. My handle has to be designed around the best ergonomics.

There, you have my ideal trout rod that I fish with.

UL