PDA

View Full Version : major funk!!!

fisherman from long beach
03-13-2010, 07:31 PM
went to nph and got the major stink,this is the second time in a row,dont know what it is,need some help,could it be the 12lb test i have on the baitcaster,should i go with lighter line,im using the camo jerk shad on the d.s and lead head,using the gulp alive shad 4in,dont know whats going on,just got to get the juujuu off. angery and stinky fisherman from long beach:Bawling:

flyngby
03-13-2010, 08:14 PM
It's definitely not the 12 lb. line as that is what I have fished in the harbor for the past 4 years on conventional and spinning reels! I have watched many a spotties win the battle on the lighter line!!!!!!! I will not call out those friends of my that try it and sometime get very frustrated!

My past few trips they have not wanted to even touch the DS at all. All were caught on 3 inch Swimmies! Cast, let it sink to the bottom and sit for a few moments, then start to retrieve. If you are not feeling the bottom on the retrieve then you are too fast!

It will come to you and after the first the rest will be easy!!

Steve

Your time will come

GET-EM
03-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I use 12 to 15 lb Maxima line with 3/8 to 1/4 oz Hammer lead heads in plain & chartreuse colors depending on what color plastic I'm throwing, & add some scent like Pro-cure or whatever you like to use. cast toward the docks in & all around them also try spinnerbaits in the grass areas. You'll hook up !!
GET-EM !!

Phanatic
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm using 12lb line fluorocarbon as well and I don't have a problem with that at all. Anyways, I was there at NPH today as well. The last public dock closest to the jetty was where I couldn't get anything but mackerels to bite. I caught about a dozen of those before I decided to go to another public dock a few blocks back and finally caught a halibut. Where were you at?

DockRat
03-13-2010, 08:40 PM
angery and stinky fisherman from long beach:Bawling:

I feel your pain. We all have had skunks but at least you didn't spend much money.
Don't worry, epic local fishing coming soon.
DR

Liteliner
03-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Try six pound test on the drop shot and down size to the gulp minnow on spinning gear... Might need to finesse them a lttle. You might lose a few with 6# but you will probably get more bites also. Find the storm drains...

03-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Try six pound test on the drop shot and down size to the gulp minnow on spinning gear... Might need to finesse them a lttle. You might lose a few with 6# but you will probably get more bites also. Find the storm drains...

i was using lite line 6-8lb test,3trips ago i got a bite and it ran and then snap!thats why i went with heavier line.as far as storm drains go,im walkin all around standing on top of the drains.thats where i got my las hit and snapped my line.oh well ill get back out there next weekend.

03-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm using 12lb line fluorocarbon as well and I don't have a problem with that at all. Anyways, I was there at NPH today as well. The last public dock closest to the jetty was where I couldn't get anything but mackerels to bite. I caught about a dozen of those before I decided to go to another public dock a few blocks back and finally caught a halibut. Where were you at?
i was across from the island by the ferry i was wearing waders walkin all over,and nada,maybe need to bust out the float tube.

Fishbones
03-14-2010, 12:18 PM
what up...dawg.....i fish nph with a white texas rigged fluke.....

ryryk
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I say stay in long beach. I was at 72st jetty yesterday, first time ever throwing big hammers. Was using a 3" keylime with a 1/4oz chart. Jig head and hooked up my first ever halibut n 2 spotties.
Biggest maybe 13-14".
Good luck to u in the future

troutdog
03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I think the NPH Gods are miffed at you for talking carp about the Lakers, that or they know you still owe me the pack of flukes we bet when my Rams punked your cowardly Lions for their only win of the year :LOL::Wink:

Better luck out there next time. I am not far from NPH, so hit me up sometime if you wanna hookup on some spottys!

TD

Jaysuuun
03-14-2010, 04:43 PM
I say stay in long beach. I was at 72st jetty yesterday, first time ever throwing big hammers. Was using a 3" keylime with a 1/4oz chart. Jig head and hooked up my first ever halibut n 2 spotties.
Biggest maybe 13-14".
Good luck to u in the future

Don't mean to threadjack, but did you say "Spotties" ?! :Big Grin: I fished that jetty this morning for a few nibbles, and got one of these :Skunk:. I think I tried everything but the swimmie. :Neutral: Next time I'm bringin the float tube! :Twisted:

03-14-2010, 06:38 PM
I think the NPH Gods are miffed at you for talking carp about the Lakers, that or they know you still owe me the pack of flukes we bet when my Rams punked your cowardly Lions for their only win of the year :LOL::Wink:

Better luck out there next time. I am not far from NPH, so hit me up sometime if you wanna hookup on some spottys!

TDa td i havent forgot about the bet.and did you know we meet up again next year.and maybe next time im on my way out there i'll shoot you a pm and we can hook up and i can pay my debt.lol

CastMan
03-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Where's the 72st jetty located?

murrieta angler
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Don't sweat it Bro!
I fished ALL weekend and only caught 1 YFC. I didn't make it out for the lobster, way too many complications cause of the time change.
I know I will see a post shortly from you showing all the fish you caught.
Robert

murrieta angler
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Where's the 72st jetty located?

Belmont Shores,
All the way South on E. Ocean Blvd

CastMan
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks Murrieta and you know what I'm wondering is that the set of rocks at the very end of ocean blvd. that if your on them and you look across there is another jetty on the other side? I used to fish there many years back. Lots of boats come in and out of there. I appreciate the help bro.