PDA

View Full Version : Rage Against The Duct

yolo
03-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Wow! Where do I start? The Striper Mafia hit the duct this morning looking for a hit on those stripers. It is blowing hard already in the morning but we decide to head out anyway. No flow locally so we head west. The farther west we go the darker the clouds are getting. We hit the first spot and it is snowing lightly and windy. The wind swirls and changes direction constantly but we stick with it. No flow but we are trying. After about 15 minutes, I get a hit and nail one. It's tugging pretty good and once I land it, it is the smallest AV duct striper I have caught in over a decade. It was not more than 12" long. A great sign that there was a mini caught. It gets released immediately and after I release it, I think to myself I should have taken a pic. Back in the day, we used to catch these things by the dozens within an hour without even trying. That's how good the duct used to be. Anyway, we work the spot for a bit longer and nothing else.

We move to spot number two and nothing. Snow is still blowing and windy. There is a lull for a few moments and then it rages again.

We head to spot number three and it is really blowing and still snowing. Nothing happens at that spot either and we move on.

Hit spot number four and it is calm but still snowing. After about 3 minutes, the wind gets the worst out of the whole morning. Yes it is still snowing and it is hitting us in the face from the driving wind. We work it for awhile and nothing so we get in the truck and keep going. Ferno thinks a change of tunes is necessary and we put on some Rage Against The Machine. It was a fitting choice as we were getting the duct rage, lol.

We decide to drive to and hit Quail Lake. I am casting and get hit and see a flash. It is on and we are battling. Not a bad fighter. I land it and it sticks me and draws blood. I go get a napkin because my finger is bleeding all over the place. I notice it is milting. Yes it is still windy and picking up steam and now the snow has turned to sleet. It is pounding us and if you turn to face it, you get stung by it. Ferno moves a little past the spot I was fishing at and hooks up. He's battling it and gets it close to shore and he yells for us to go there because a whole school came up to the shore with it. I tell him that mine is milting and they are probably loaded up in there starting to spawn or pre spawn. I come running and toss in there and I hook up immediately. This is a good one and is peeling. It puts up a really good fight and as it surfaces, I can see it's a good one. I end up landing it and it is the largest fish of the day. thebigsteeler is now in the area and is casting out towards where the school was and he hooks up. He's battling his fish and lands it. Ferno is working the area still and hooks up. Another fighter and one more landed for a total of two for him. I am still working it and I hook up and land my third fish from the spot. thebigsteeler is back to working it and he gets bit and hooks up again and lands his second fish and the second biggest of the day. After that we keep working it but nothing. At this moment the sun is coming out and the sleet has stopped. Still very windy though. Just as quick as the school moved in it either left or we nailed them all.

It was a great outing and we deserved the hook ups from the time we put in during those conditions and we stuck with it until finding those fish. It must have snowed for like 4 hours but none of it stuck. It was small flakes that melted as they hit the ground. Actually it was better than having wind driven rain. Yes I was in shorts.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%203-13-10/Duct3-13-10.jpg

Newfishsmell
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Wind , Snow , Rain and Rage Against The Machine !!!
And you guys still nailed the stripers , Great report ...

yolo
03-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Forgot to mention that a Sheriff drove the duct road today. I have heard that they sometimes will patrol the duct but in all my years have never seen one drive by me on the duct access road. Well until today. He did not ask for any fishing license as he probably has no business asking for it. He was cool and didn't hassle us. I have also heard from several sources that the DFG is out in more force at the duct lately.

wackyrigged
03-14-2010, 01:43 AM
what do you use for stripers? I get catfish with mackrel and those rat l traps used to work but i havent caught one in over a year

Fishbones
03-14-2010, 12:20 PM
nice slay yolo....great title also....hoping to make it out there soon..

Trout-Chaser
03-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Nice report--sounds like the way a fishing adventure should be! Lots of adversity before you hook up with the treasure! Great going, guys!

horgaszapacban
03-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Congrats on the stripers! We've been out at Quail on Sat, with no bites at all, also, we arrived quite late on the afternoon.
h

M@M
03-14-2010, 05:01 PM
That's great everyone caught some!! Once again, you guys are hardcore putting up with the weather. :UDaMan: HARDCORE!!!

HaiTheMeister
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM
you guys are hardcore...but good call on hitting up Quail lake. Those are good looking tripers. Good job Yolo!

fishinone
03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Nice catch! Thanks for the report. Somehow, I missed this the other day.

LuvThymetal
03-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Damn !! those are some pretty nice size stiper.