PDA

View Full Version : Newport Landing 1/2 day PM Nautilus July 12, 2007

seanboi
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Today was an INSANE day to go out fishing. My two friends and i decided to go out on a 1/2 day out of Newport Landing to see if we can get a few calicos. After we bought our tickets we were standing against the rail on the water waiting to get on the boat when i saw a sardine swimming by and immediately gets devoured by a nice HALIBUT!!!! :D I was shocked seeing this and my friend and i decided to throw some plastics. First cast my friend nails the halibut on a berkeley gulp shrimp. It was just under legal but a great way to start the day. A few people were also fishing before they got on the boat with us and they were catching halibut and spotties. 10 minutes before boarding i hear my friend scream SEABASS!!!! I look under the dock and there is about a 25 lb white seabass sitting under the dock. We threw everything at it but it wouldnt budge! I was shocked because i never thought i would see that in the harbor :shock: . This all happened before we even got on the boat. There was about 36 people on the boat today so there was enough elbow room for everybody. We had a good tank full of sardines and anchovies. Supprisingly we headed down south to tentacle point and at our first stop it was wide open on the calicos. I caught at least 20 calicos with 6 legals. One of my friends that went with us was his first trip and his first fish ever was a 40 inch Barracuda!!!!! :D . I was really happy for him and he was excited. After catching calicos we decided to move to a different spot to fish for more calicos and sandbass. My first cast resulted a nice 20 inch halibut on the sardine not legaly but it was fun to fight :lol: . Second cast i landed a nice 2-3lb sand bass. Now during this time most people were fishing the bottom and catching calicos and sandies but one guy was fly lining a dine and it really paid off. He hooks up on what everybody thought was a cuda. After 10 minutes of fighting a yellow flash shoots up to the surface and he has hooked about a 10lb yellow. He finally brought it to the boat and was gaffed cleanly and easily took the jackpot. After that exciting moment we had to go in because it was time to go. The three main set ups i used was a dropper loop with a 2 oz sinker and 2/0 hook a flyline and a berkley gulp shrimp plastics that caught most of my calicos. My count for the day was 20 calicos with 6 legals 1 legal sand bass and a short halibut. This trip was definately worth going on and was a really fun. Alot of crazy things happened today and thats what makes fishing even better you never know what is going to happen. :lol: Count with 36 people was 1 yellowtail, 3 barracuda,63 calico bass, 21 sand bass, i sheephead and 1 white fish. I highly recommend that you give Newport Landing a shot less people than Daveys and there counts are better as of right now. Go get em :D

Liteliner
07-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Sounds like fun man. I've been itching to get out but the wife has me on lock down. Hopefully next week i get out. Nice report though.

ThanksKK
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the report. good to see the yellows coming around. I launched my pb from newport wed but didnt get as lucky as y'all with the counts.

one_leg
07-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Congrats to you and your friends, especially the n00bie!!!

Croak, Croak, Croak......Ha Ha. Better luck next time.

And thanks for the heads up.

One_Leg

JapanRon
07-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi again seanboi,

Never can tell when a yellow is going to show up in the counts.

JapanRon