PDA

View Full Version : Grease and oil for my old reels?

RiversideTrout77
03-12-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm looking to grease and oil an old shimno spinning reel I have and was wondering which oil and grease should i use, or are all name brands basiclly the same. I have never taken a reel apart which is why i am going to experiment on a older reel in case things start flying out (springs and all). I was at bass pro shops and the person working there told me that he did'nt think it mattered which brand i bought. Then he stated he never oils his reels just buy a new one after 5 years. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Nessie Hunter
03-12-2010, 07:04 AM
If cared for properly almost any Reel will last a lifetime... And be as good or better then new..

I use Cals drag grease, ReelX, Oust Met-ol, and some quality Marine grease (actually its a Wheel bearing grease for Saltwater use, anti corrosion) in servicing reels...
I use the Wheel Bearing grease to paint the inside of Reels, pretty much water proofs them...

Except for the heavy Marine grease you can get all the rest of the items at Smoothdrags.com... Mailed right to your doorstep..
You can order right online at Dawns site...
She pretty much has all the parts you will need also... Bearings, Drag washers, drag plates etc...

RiversideTrout77
03-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you for the info

vanillagurilla
03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
all you need is grease. DO NOT use oil unless its on freespool bearings on a baitcaster. grease will make your spinning reel much smoother and tighter feeling. there is nothing on a spinning reel that has freespool therefore you need NO oil. good grease will also keep water out and your reel nice and smooth.