PDA

View Full Version : Phenix or G-Loomis?

Trout 1
03-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Well I have heard great things about both types of rods but I want your opinon! Im thinking about getting a Loomis or a Phenix I just wonder wich is better? I want the rod for mini jiging.
Thanks

Trout 1

IncredibleHuck
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
How much are you willing to spend?

E.A.R.G.
03-11-2010, 10:56 PM
they've both got levels.

for g-loomis its
G2<G3<IMX<GLX

for phenix they've got
Elixir<iron feather

if you've go the cash, drop it on an iron feather... its 400 bucks. GLX is like 300 i believe? I would put my preference on GLX, but phenix for the looks =)

st croix is another one you should look at it. i pee a little whenever I see one

Trout 1
03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
they've both got levels.

for g-loomis its
G2<G3<IMX<GLX

for phenix they've got
Elixir<iron feather

if you've go the cash, drop it on an iron feather... its 400 bucks. GLX is like 300 i believe? I would put my preference on GLX, but phenix for the looks =)

st croix is another one you should look at it. i pee a little whenever I see one

Can i get these in blanks and then get them wrapped?? I have seen St. Croix but I have never really heard anything about them? The look cool tho. Thanks for the info man!

Trout 1

Trout 1
03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
How much are you willing to spend?

$200-300

Trout 1

E.A.R.G.
03-11-2010, 11:10 PM
for jigging... 200-300bucks... definitely drop it on the elixir 8 foot or longer.

they look sha weetttt

E.A.R.G.
03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
for jigging... 200-300bucks... definitely drop it on the elixir 8 foot or longer.

they look sha weetttt

Trout 1
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM

they look sha weetttt

Yeah I just looked at them on there site they look great!! I want custom grips and stuff tho. Can they do that or??

Trout 1

jmp_fishinn
03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
phenix! what EyeAmRealGhetto said!
i own one of the older models its a 8'0 with the shikari blanks and its awesome!
my pops owns the elixir 761 and he's lovin it.
but good luck in choosing a rod!

Trout 1
03-11-2010, 11:36 PM
phenix! what EyeAmRealGhetto said!
i own one of the older models its nad 8'0 with the shikari blanks and its awesome.
and my pops owns the elixir 761.

Cool man!! The only real hang up with Phenix I have is the team members I have met have been so fricken arrogant!!!! It was like i was a bad fisherman cuz i didnt have a Phenix rod. It also mad me mad when one of the "team members" took my rod right out of my hand and said "this is how you catch a fish" and he snagged a trout I was at a loss of words but i told him off thats for sure! But everything else about Phenix seems great!! I have heard they dont have a real team anymore not sure tho??

Trout 1

jmp_fishinn
03-11-2010, 11:42 PM
oh dang really?
thats crazy...i met some of the people at the fred hall show, the guys name
was jason, and he was totally chill. We even got a nice rod bag for free. haha.
the people i talked to at their booth were totally cool tho! not sure about the team. but yeah man, i think
when it comes to "mini jigging" rods tho, most would bring up a phenix rod, haha.

Trout 1
03-11-2010, 11:57 PM
oh dang really?
thats crazy...i met some of the people at the fred hall show, the guys name
was jason, and he was totally chill. We even got a nice rod bag for free. haha.
the people i talked to at their booth were totally cool tho! not sure about the team. but yeah man, i think
when it comes to "mini jigging" rods tho, most would bring up a phenix rod, haha.

Yeah I couldnt belive it!! I met a guy at Rancho Jurapa and he was hella cool I forgot his name tho hahaha. Yea man it is what it is. The guy I was fishing with was like wth too and he told him he better get to stepin so he left lol I was just blown away i just stood there like wth?? lol

Trout 1

2jackedLUNGS
03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
for me nothing beats a loomis. i had mine wrapped by moon at fishermans depot in bellfower, and it came out clean as hell.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/068.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/075.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/085.jpg

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/086.jpg

2jackedLUNGS
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
sorry double posted

bsp
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Cool man!! The only real hang up with Phenix I have is the team members I have met have been so fricken arrogant!!!! It was like i was a bad fisherman cuz i didnt have a Phenix rod. It also mad me mad when one of the "team members" took my rod right out of my hand and said "this is how you catch a fish" and he snagged a trout I was at a loss of words but i told him off thats for sure! But everything else about Phenix seems great!! I have heard they dont have a real team anymore not sure tho??

Trout 1

I know that Phenix really wants to distance themselves from the guys who did/do that, and are taking steps to ensure guys like that aren't on the staff anymore. I'm currently sponsored by them, and you're right that there isn't a "Team Phenix" anymore. There are still plenty of pro staffers, but not the "Team Phenix" that had some controversy around it in the past.

As for accessibility to blanks, you can get the Elixers and the Mirages. No Iron Feather blanks though.

jmp_fishinn, what day were you at the show? I was in the booth Saturday, so I am trying to remember if we spoke. I was the youngest guy there.

samgann93
03-12-2010, 05:44 PM
phenix hands down. save a nother 100 and get a feather.... AMAZING!

Trout 1
03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
for me nothing beats a loomis. i had mine wrapped by moon at fishermans depot in bellfower, and it came out clean as hell.

Dude that is sooo sick!!! How much was the rod? How much do they charge to wrap rods? Thanks

Trout 1

Trout 1
03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Thats good to know man. What dose it take to be sponsored? I put my app in for lip ripperZ cuz i love there products and they told me they were going to call me but never did?? Thanks man...

Trout 1

billy b
03-12-2010, 06:16 PM
GLoom with a stella ... my kind of man. How long is the rod. I was turned off some because the longest they have is 7.5 feet ... and it looks like a lot of it is in the handle. I have 7 footers. I'd be interested in contacting the guy and seeing if he'd ship one to northern nevada. Mind sharing his name and #? BTW, what kind of line do you like to use on your stella(s)?

bsp
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Can't help there since I don't know any Lip Ripperz guys or am affiliated with them in any way. They do make killer stuff though. I'm more partial to the gen 1 worms myself, but the gen 2 is definitely better for dropshotting.

As for getting sponsored for trout fishing, first ask yourself if you really want to be sponsored. For some guys, it's great since you really believe in the gear and would use it anyway. For others, it's a restriction since you can only use a certain brand. Do you really want to use only Lip Ripperz? What if you win a tournament or catch your PB on something that's similar to a Lip Ripperz product, like Power Worms or a Thomas Buoyant? How do you tell your sponsor, and do you guys have an understand what each of you wants out of the deal? Questions like that are what you have to ask yourself. I know some very, very good fishermen that don't want to be sponsored since they want to fish with whatever gear they feel like. Other than that, if you want specifics I don't think there are any. Maybe catch a lot of good fish, win/place in some tournaments, be a nice guy, and hope for the best is all you can really do?

Hope this helps a bit,

Marc

Trout 1
03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah helped a lot thanks man. I do see how some fishermen wouldnt want to be sponsored it make since both ways!

Trout 1

AngryAgent
03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Look,

There isn't a best rod. The best rod is the one that works best for the type of fishing style that you have period. All the manufacturers that were listed before make nice quality rods to be sure and there are a few others out there that also make some super sick stuff as well. Sage makes some of the nicest fly blanks around and when wrapped for spinning are some of the most sensitive and lightest complete rods available. But with Sage comes a high price tag. Loomis is also a very good product and used to be available in blank form but no longer, Shimano has sank that ship. If you want a custom wrapped Loomis you have to find a dealer or wrapper that has blanks left and hope he or she has the blank that you want or you have to buy a complete factory rod and have it stripped and then re-wrapped with the components of your choice. Phenix is on their game as well and offers a few nice blanks that will meet your needs. St Croix is another and the list goes on and on. You have to fish with different rods and then come to your own conclusions is what I'm really trying to say and don't be swayed by people's opinions on something as intimate as your own personal rod and what's best for you. That's going to take a little time and effort on your part to come up with what's best for you. Good luck to you!

Trout 1
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Look,

There isn't a best rod. The best rod is the one that works best for the type of fishing style that you have period. All the manufacturers that were listed before make nice quality rods to be sure and there are a few others out there that also make some super sick stuff as well. Sage makes some of the nicest fly blanks around and when wrapped for spinning are some of the most sensitive and lightest complete rods available. But with Sage comes a high price tag. Loomis is also a very good product and used to be available in blank form but no longer, Shimano has sank that ship. If you want a custom wrapped Loomis you have to find a dealer or wrapper that has blanks left and hope he or she has the blank that you want or you have to buy a complete factory rod and have it stripped and then re-wrapped with the components of your choice. Phenix is on their game as well and offers a few nice blanks that will meet your needs. St Croix is another and the list goes on and on. You have to fish with different rods and then come to your own conclusions is what I'm really trying to say and don't be swayed by people's opinions on something as intimate as your own personal rod and what's best for you. That's going to take a little time and effort on your part to come up with what's best for you. Good luck to you!

Tahnks a lot man!! I never really thought of it like this but it makes plenty since!

Trout 1

marzocchi
03-15-2010, 11:57 PM

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/2jackedLUNGS/086.jpg

OMG that is beautiful. I am a big loomis fan. I got some vintage ones. Nothing beats the feel of them. You just gave me a new idea for my new striper rod.

tmartin
03-16-2010, 03:49 AM
I have 3 loomis rod and think they are overrated personally

JIG KING
03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Thats good to know man. What dose it take to be sponsored? I put my app in for lip ripperZ cuz i love there products and they told me they were going to call me but never did?? Thanks man...

Trout 1 Trout 1 if you want to try some of my jigs and some new stuff im making I will give you some all i ask that you let me know if you like them . Just tell me what kind of fish and size you catch. I want the input please. Just pm me your address if you want them.

Thanks Mike

bsp
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Trout 1 if you want to try some of my jigs and some new stuff im making I will give you some all i ask that you let me know if you like them . Just tell me what kind of fish and size you catch. I want the input please. Just pm me your address if you want them.

Thanks Mike

Much better hook up than Lip Ripperz right there! Mike's plastics are definitely legit.

IncredibleHuck
03-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Much better hook up than Lip Ripperz right there! Mike's plastics are definitely legit.

And you're saying Lip Ripperz aren't? LOL I think their product speaks for them selves.

JIG KING
03-17-2010, 01:09 AM
I like Lip Ripperz don't get me wrong he makes good jigs. I just like to make some colors that nones makes.

GeordyBass
03-17-2010, 01:47 AM
I'll take a phenix. I've only owned 1 loomis and wasn't impressed for the price. Stick to Phenix or St. Croix and you wont be disappointed. Lamiglas rods are pretty sick too.

TroutOnly
03-17-2010, 07:40 AM
G-LOOMIS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Trout 1
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
G-LOOMIS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks man!

Trout 1

IncredibleHuck
03-17-2010, 09:59 AM
If you've got the $$$, I would do what some of the other guys suggested and get a custom wrapped rod. For that price range you can get a really good rod, with the handle you want, and the guides wrapped to your colors.

I'm building myself a rod here soon, and it will cost me in parts around $120, and it will compare too all of these high dollar rods.

Maybe I need to get back into doing custom rods for other people too! LOL

But good luck with what ever you pick, at that price range you should be satisfied.

Trout 1
03-17-2010, 10:04 AM
If you've got the $$$, I would do what some of the other guys suggested and get a custom wrapped rod. For that price range you can get a really good rod, with the handle you want, and the guides wrapped to your colors.

I'm building myself a rod here soon, and it will cost me in parts around $120, and it will compare too all of these high dollar rods.

Maybe I need to get back into doing custom rods for other people too! LOL

But good luck with what ever you pick, at that price range you should be satisfied.

Thanks man! What kind of blanks do you use?

Trout 1

IncredibleHuck
03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm buidling this next one on an Amtak matrix blank fly rod. I've wrapped two of these from my friends and they like them more then their Phenix which was a shakari blank and better then his Loomis GL3.

the killa
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I would say if you want to drop the money down on a great rod, i would drop it down on a Phenix Iron Feather about $400 or a Phenix Mirage about $200. Its really what you feel fits your needs.

MAVERICK27
03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I agree with most here...Except...the new Phenix (Mirage, Iron Feather) ARe a new blank technology you arent going to find anywhere else. SICK rods. Otherwise Shikari Vs others...everyone here is right on!!

Liteliner
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?44147-Phenix-Rods-Iron-Feather-8-6-quot-and-7-2-quot

AngryAgent
03-17-2010, 12:26 PM
I would say if you want to drop the money down on a great rod, i would drop it down on a Phenix Iron Feather about $400 or a Phenix Mirage about $200. Its really what you feel fits your needs.

I would wait until the Iron Feather is available as a blank and have it wrapped. I am still testing this rod right now and I will report later on it in detail but as of right now it is off balance with my Stella attached to the handle and I'm not happy with the wraps and colors. The Guides are great and the handle is a nice piece of workmanship and looks great but looks and peak performance are 2 different things. The most intriguing thing about this rod is the tip diameter. I will mic it out later when I give a full report. Phenix makes some great stuff that's for sure but I won't limit myself to just one rod blank and definitely can't agree to fish factory wraps-NO WAY!!!

IncredibleHuck those AmTak Matrix blanks are a really nice blank man, I have actually fished with that quite extensively and I was pretty happy overall with that blank especially for the cost. One of the sweet things about that one too is how it blings in the sunlight! Great price-point blank period.

Bottom line Trout1 is fish with as many rods as you can yourself take no ones word for what works best for you because no one but you knows that. There is tons of good info in this thread and others here at FNN and other websites as well. Look around and read about what blanks have the characteristics you're looking for and narrow it down from there. PM everyone and sift through the BS along the way. Call different tackle shops that wrap these kinds of sticks and talk to the rod wrappers, I'm just saying there is all kinds of avenues for you to go down. Spending $150.00 and up you should be trying to get the most from your rod most definitely.

the killa
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Im sure you can just call Jeff or Jason (the owners) at Phenix and they will share any info you would like. Nothing better than getting all the info straight from the people that have tested these rods and master it!

Trout 1
03-17-2010, 01:50 PM
I would wait until the Iron Feather is available as a blank and have it wrapped. I am still testing this rod right now and I will report later on it in detail but as of right now it is off balance with my Stella attached to the handle and I'm not happy with the wraps and colors. The Guides are great and the handle is a nice piece of workmanship and looks great but looks and peak performance are 2 different things. The most intriguing thing about this rod is the tip diameter. I will mic it out later when I give a full report. Phenix makes some great stuff that's for sure but I won't limit myself to just one rod blank and definitely can't agree to fish factory wraps-NO WAY!!!

IncredibleHuck those AmTak Matrix blanks are a really nice blank man, I have actually fished with that quite extensively and I was pretty happy overall with that blank especially for the cost. One of the sweet things about that one too is how it blings in the sunlight! Great price-point blank period.

Bottom line Trout1 is fish with as many rods as you can yourself take no ones word for what works best for you because no one but you knows that. There is tons of good info in this thread and others here at FNN and other websites as well. Look around and read about what blanks have the characteristics you're looking for and narrow it down from there. PM everyone and sift through the BS along the way. Call different tackle shops that wrap these kinds of sticks and talk to the rod wrappers, I'm just saying there is all kinds of avenues for you to go down. Spending $150.00 and up you should be trying to get the most from your rod most definitely.

Yeah i get where you are coming from. Thanks for all of your input man.

Trout 1

AngryAgent
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Im sure you can just call Jeff or Jason (the owners) at Phenix and they will share any info you would like. Nothing better than getting all the info straight from the people that have tested these rods and master it!

Yeah I had quite a long conversation with Jason yesterday Arron. Funny that you mention it, small world homeboy..

Hitts0n
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
get a custom made phenix rod from beebop.he has great quality phenix rods and for a very good price... under 200 bux.He's a member of the board

the killa
03-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah I had quite a long conversation with Jason yesterday Arron. Funny that you mention it, small world homeboy..

yeah it is. just like when i walked into the longfin the other day and saw you working there. trip out.

bsp
03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
And you're saying Lip Ripperz aren't? LOL I think their product speaks for them selves.

No, on the contrary, I said earlier in this thread that they made a "killer" product.

However, any product that is mass produced has a hard time matching small batches made by one guy. Mike, like he said, just makes colors that aren't available elsewhere and IMO are better than most stock colors that you can purchase. Brian at Lip Ripperz is a great guy (talked to him at the FHS briefly), but he just can't do certain colors or styles because they don't have mass market appeal. Also, they don't sell mini jigs that are unrigged, and the new style of trout worms are best suited to dropshot and sink so, IMO, less versatile than the old ones. If you want product you can readily buy off the shelves, then Lip Ripperz are some of the best plastics for trout, but it's hard to beat customs if you can find them. The way I look at it is availability vs. individuality (ie, getting the color, action, and style that you personally like). Given the option, I'd rather be able to get exactly what I want from one person than have to compromise occasionally but have access to the resources of an entire company. Also, the uniqueness of customs sometimes get highly pressured fish to bite when they have been bombarded by the readily available lures.

Bottom line, both Mike and Lip Ripperz make a good product, and I have used and will continue to use both.

Trout 1, if you have the opportunity to do so, put the reel you are going to pair up with the rod on it to get a feel for balance. Some rods balance better with different reels, and figure out if you are more into better balanced or sheer lightness if you go the custom route. With a custom, your builder should also know what reel you are going to use so he can optimize the rod to the reel.

the killa
03-17-2010, 03:08 PM
where can we see some of these Mike's jiggs at? Do they have a website? I would love to try them out and see them...

IncredibleHuck
03-17-2010, 03:08 PM
No, on the contrary, I said earlier in this thread that they made a "killer" product.

However, any product that is mass produced has a hard time matching small batches made by one guy. Mike, like he said, just makes colors that aren't available elsewhere and IMO are better than most stock colors that you can purchase. Brian at Lip Ripperz is a great guy (talked to him at the FHS briefly), but he just can't do certain colors or styles because they don't have mass market appeal. Also, they don't sell mini jigs that are unrigged, and the new style of trout worms are best suited to dropshot and sink so, IMO, less versatile than the old ones. If you want product you can readily buy off the shelves, then Lip Ripperz are some of the best plastics for trout, but it's hard to beat customs if you can find them. The way I look at it is availability vs. individuality (ie, getting the color, action, and style that you personally like). Given the option, I'd rather be able to get exactly what I want from one person than have to compromise occasionally but have access to the resources of an entire company. Also, the uniqueness of customs sometimes get highly pressured fish to bite when they have been bombarded by the readily available lures.

Bottom line, both Mike and Lip Ripperz make a good product, and I have used and will continue to use both.

Thanks for clarifying and I see your point now.

AngryAgent
03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
where can we see some of these Mike's jiggs at? Do they have a website? I would love to try them out and see them...

Sav-On Tackle

Trout 1
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey everyone I just wanted to thank you for all the input!!! I still will take it tho hahaha!!!!

Trout 1

AngryAgent
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Here is a few pictures of JigKing's work:

Black with the Yellow is Hot!
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angryagent1005/IMG_0448.jpg

Another one of my favorite colors is the Yellow/Red/Black the FIre Tiger is nice too..
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angryagent1005/IMG_0449.jpg

The Green/Red flake White/Red flake
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angryagent1005/IMG_0451.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angryagent1005/IMG_0444.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angryagent1005/IMG_0447.jpg

The pink is pearlescent and the pictures don't do these things justice really. The tails are immaculate. The minnows aren't too shabby either. Great work Mike!

the killa
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
how much do those go for?

Trout 1
03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
how much do those go for?

As far as I know he dosent sell them. he just dose it for fun........

Trout 1

calico killer kevin
03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Been trying to get some stuff off of him for a while. Got him to go, but I had to come pick the stuff up and that didn't work out. Mike, if you're reading this, I wouldn't mind at all sending you $$$ for some DS baits and trout worms. Guy's got some nice stuff and definitely has a market.

sansou
03-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Trout 1

Be comforted to the fact that your not the only guy who has echoed that experience with the "Phenix Pro Staff" or whatever label they wish to self aggrandize themselves as.... I suppose if you're going to promote the Phenix rod as THE rod to snag with, well, Mission Accomplished!

It's too bad, cause I have met some Phenix rod wrappers that aren't part of the pay lake team (s), and they are seemingly good guys that are embarassed to be associated with all that.

My 2 cents re: rods in all this is to check out St. Croix. Lot's of bang for the buck, but at the end of the day if your wallet is fat, the top of the line GLoomis I hear is hard to compete with. The 2 Phenix rods I fished with so far seemed really nice (one was a bass rod and we were striper fishing), just seemed a bit pricey for what you get.

AngryAgent
03-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Be comforted to the fact that your not the only guy who has echoed that experience with the "Phenix Pro Staff" or whatever label they wish to self aggrandize themselves as.... I suppose if you're going to promote the Phenix rod as THE rod to snag with, well, Mission Accomplished!

It's too bad, cause I have met some Phenix rod wrappers that aren't part of the pay lake team (s), and they are seemingly good guys that are embarassed to be associated with all that.

My 2 cents re: rods in all this is to check out St. Croix. Lot's of bang for the buck, but at the end of the day if your wallet is fat, the top of the line GLoomis I hear is hard to compete with. The 2 Phenix rods I fished with so far seemed really nice (one was a bass rod and we were striper fishing), just seemed a bit pricey for what you get.

As far as the "Phenix Pro Staff" goes, talking with one of the new owners (Jason) he assured me that they are distancing themselves from that type of thing. They don't want the negative vibe. I know of a few guys that promote their products and they are genuinely good people. They as a whole are headed in the right direction and I truly believe this. Not a fanboy just an observer from the sidelines.

FLYFISHING MD
03-17-2010, 07:34 PM
get a sage blank and get it custom wrapped, they are so sensitive that you can run a small castmaster over a quarter and you can tell if it's heads or tails........good luck!!!!!!!

the killa
03-17-2010, 10:30 PM

Rich, Please lets not bash any company's on here. I'm on the Phenix Pro Staff and I can assure you that their is only 3 guys from last year that are on the Phenix Pro Staff, which is Adrain Pintor, Chris Rhodes, and Frank Duarte. So PLEASE lets not go back to bashing. Thanks Rich.

Trout1: Weather you chose to pick a G-Loomis, Sage, Phenix, Kencor ect... Just make sure it fits your style of fishing. I personally fish the older Phenix rods (Elixer Series) for bait and I have the Iron Feather and the Mirage for my mini jig rods. Some people LOVE the Elixer series rods for mini jig. I just think it too heavy and stiff. What I'm getting at is, just take a reel to a shop and try it on the rods ofyour choice. Who knows what you are gonna like.

sansou
03-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Rich, Please lets not bash any company's on here. I'm on the Phenix Pro Staff and I can assure you that their is only 3 guys from last year that are on the Phenix Pro Staff, which is Adrain Pintor, Chris Rhodes, and Frank Duarte. So PLEASE lets not go back to bashing. Thanks Rich.

The Fish Taco,

First, please point out where I bash the company itself.

If you care to carefully re-read my prior statement, I stated that on the occasions I fished Phenix rods, they were "really nice", but in my opinion, "a bit pricey". How is that "bashing" a Phenix rods? It's what we call in the english language, a statement of opinion. On the issue of pricey, so are Gloomis rods. In my opinion, in the context of SoCal truck trout fishing, I find most rods too pricey for what you anticipate catching. Call me cheap, if anything.

That you acknowledge your "Phenix Pro Staff Team" dumped certain members is an admission that there were "problems". One need only read any given Irvine Lake trout derby in the past 2 years to see there were constant allegations of Team Phenix snagging fish etc... Whether or not the allegations were in fact true for every incident it was made public on this message board is another matter. However, we can agree by your very own admission you acknowledge your "team" had "issues", and many Irvine Lake patrons voiced displeasure of your team's fishing practices.

Angry Agent points out the company seeks to distance themselves from the "negative vibe". Makes business sense to me. But that raises a question in of itself:

Curiously, (but in the scheme of things personally inconsequential), how is it that a company that ostensibly seeks to distance itself from the negative vibe / press, allow the same core group of guys to label themselves as "Team Phenix Pro Staff"? Is there a Phenix Pro Staff Team that regularly fishes something like bass tournaments?? If so, do the Phenix Pro bass guys attract the same type of negative press as the Phenix Pay Lake Pro Staffers?

Just curious, cause otherwise it seems like the strangest marketing technique for a resurrected company seeking to re-establish itself.

GeordyBass
03-18-2010, 10:24 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii127/thebassmaster818/Who-is-your-Judge.jpg

Ultralight
03-20-2010, 12:41 AM
1. if you have the budget, I would go custom. Built around your reel for balance and casting distance. Factory rods, no matter how good, are built on a general template.

2. For factory rods, I'd currently take Phenix Iron Feather. However, they are not that light really but do have a nice crisp response relative to other similar rods due to their titanium guides.

There're various claims about the quality of the blank. Bottom line - I am not impressed by claims but go on measured specs. I think the blanks are good but did not strike me as engineered to maximize performance out of the material as some of the material went to visual presentation.

3. You put titanium micro guides on the Loomis GLX on a custom and I believe it will outperform the Iron Feather in terms of power to weight ratio. It's a matter of physics.

So in summary:
1. Go custom.
2. If you can't or won't go custom, go Phenix Iron Feather. Be aware that there seem to be no warranty on it - meaning if it breaks for whatever reason, you pay $120 or something to replace it regardless of whether you abused it or due to manufacturing defect. I could be wrong on this but that's what I was told.

UL

Trout 1
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
1. if you have the budget, I would go custom. Built around your reel for balance and casting distance. Factory rods, no matter how good, are built on a general template.

2. For factory rods, I'd currently take Phenix Iron Feather. However, they are not that light really but do have a nice crisp response relative to other similar rods due to their titanium guides.

There're various claims about the quality of the blank. Bottom line - I am not impressed by claims but go on measured specs. I think the blanks are good but did not strike me as engineered to maximize performance out of the material as some of the material went to visual presentation.

3. You put titanium micro guides on the Loomis GLX on a custom and I believe it will outperform the Iron Feather in terms of power to weight ratio. It's a matter of physics.

So in summary:
1. Go custom.
2. If you can't or won't go custom, go Phenix Iron Feather. Be aware that there seem to be no warranty on it - meaning if it breaks for whatever reason, you pay $120 or something to replace it regardless of whether you abused it or due to manufacturing defect. I could be wrong on this but that's what I was told.

UL

Thanks UL good info man!

Trout 1

AngryAgent
03-22-2010, 01:05 AM

So in summary:
1. Go custom.

UL

So I am assuming that you have fished the Iron Feather Moses?

genensd
04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
The rods are pretty damn nice when compared to loomis they hold up pretty well I work at a tackle shop we sale both and of course behind the recent buzz we sale more phenix then loomis, they are both nice and in their own ways appeal to me but I do like the fact that the phenix rods keep changing every model has a new look which is pretty cool and different. I would make the decision based on the action you like meaning which rod fits your individual needs.
the guys that were claiming the company at the pay lakes have been cut off they no longer have any ties with the company as even the lake staffers have complained about them.

billy b
04-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Couldn't find the "Sav-on Tackle" website ... can anybody help?

Thx mucho