PDA

View Full Version : DFG Planting?

chas83
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I was just wondering if anyone might know why the DFG isn't planting Lone Pine, Independence, Cottonwood and Tuttle Creeks weekly like they usually do during the early opener. I see they planted Lone Pine last week but then I don't see anything planned for this week. Is this normal when they have the derby in Bishop?

Sierra_Smitty
03-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Call the DFG and ask....nothing like getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

retired96
03-12-2010, 06:24 AM
I read in the Western Outdoor News that planting fish in the very cold creek waters was causing many fish to die, the hatchery waters were not as cold and the water temp difference might have caused some fish to die. I think this season will be like last year, much less fish planting due to budget. I know last year was my worst year fishing ever in the 50 years I have fished up there..

chas83
03-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I tried calling DFG today but Arnold made them take most Fridays off so I'll try again on Monday.

BishopTrouter
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I know last year was my worst year fishing ever in the 50 years I have fished up there..

I second the idea that last year= worst year thus far.

chas83
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I contacted DFG and asked them why was Lone Pine the only creek being planted during the early open period. I asked why Cottonwood, Tuttle and the other creeks that have been normally planted in past years were not being planted this year. She said she wasn't sure and said she didn't have an advance schedule. She only knows what the plans are for this week and that is only Lone Pine Creek. She said they decide where and how much to plant by the creek conditions and the amount of fish available. So maybe the other creeks are either too cold or not flowing fast enough for planting. I wonder if the damage to the Lone Pine fish hatchery has affected the amount of fish available for other creeks. In any case, I didn't get a very good answer from the "horses mouth".

nellkev
03-15-2010, 10:06 PM
I second the budget issue and third on last year being the worst year fishing in the last 25 years I've been going up there.

Sierra_Smitty
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
I contacted DFG and asked them why was Lone Pine the only creek being planted during the early open period. I asked why Cottonwood, Tuttle and the other creeks that have been normally planted in past years were not being planted this year. She said she wasn't sure and said she didn't have an advance schedule. She only knows what the plans are for this week and that is only Lone Pine Creek. She said they decide where and how much to plant by the creek conditions and the amount of fish available. So maybe the other creeks are either too cold or not flowing fast enough for planting. I wonder if the damage to the Lone Pine fish hatchery has affected the amount of fish available for other creeks. In any case, I didn't get a very good answer from the "horses mouth".

Figures.....

I have a meeting tomorrow at the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery to try and get some of my issues with fish stocking in Inyo County on the agenda for next month's Fish & Game Advisory Commision meeting. I will bring this specific topic (the early opener creek issue) up but I need real names and cities of residence from concerned people so I can bring it up on their behalf....I have my own issues going on and those creeks are not on my list of priorities, but I'd be happy to bring it up for someone else if anyone would like to chime in.

chas83
03-19-2010, 04:16 PM
I'd be happy to give you list of names and addresses of concerned people on the early season planting issue. How should I send you these names?

chas83
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I just noticed that in your post you mention the meeting was "tomorrow" which would have been "yesterday". Looks like I missed my chance. Well, if you still want our names I'd be happy to send them to you.Thanks again.