PDA

View Full Version : Flash Minnow Alternatives

rusty6
03-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I remember not too long ago, there was a thread where someone was asking about good alternative lures to the ever popular LC FM 110. I myself have been wondering this as it seems that everytime I tie on one of my FMs, I feel like I am playing Russian Roulette with my $20 investment. Since I started working at TackleWarehouse, I have been compiling a list of possible replacements for the FM which are also for the most part less expensive.

Note: These are in no particular order and followed by what I feel are the best colors.

Damiki Striker 90 (black holo, chatreuse shad, ghost smog) $11.99
Daiwa DB Minnow (prism shad, pearl) $5.95
Bomber Suspending Pro Long A (blue flash, silver flash blue back, clown flash, golden bengal) $6.99
Reaction Strike XRM (american shad, sexy shad) $9.99
Spro McStick (blue bandint, chrome shad, clown, old glory) $11.49
XCalibur Xs4 (black chrome/orange, clown, gold bream, pearl melon, peal shad) $12.99

as well as a couple other LC lures that seem to be pretty popular orders at TW

LC Slender Pointer (97, 112, 127)MR
LC Spazz Jerkbait (I think I may get myself one of these)

Hopefully someone on these boards will find this helpful. Soon enough I'll pick some of these up and let you guys know how it goes...although I still have yet to catch anything on the FM

Cangler
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
The old fashioned Krocs work just as well , but you really cant beat live bait

fish
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
The Daiwa DB minnow is a cheap alternative, but you will not get the casting distance that you would with a LC.

bones
03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
The cheaper lures won't cast as well as the LC IMHO. Not that distance is a primary concern but accuracy is important especially when fishing around structure. As soon as you try to toss any other bait in even a small head wind you will see how the LC casts like a bullet but alot of lighter/bulkier lures will cartwheel like a wounded duck on the cast. Every LC I've lost in the last year was due to me NOT paying attention. Had one snap right off on a cast due to a premature backlash. And just recently I did a hookset (stupid) on a boiler rock. I only went for the hookset because the dirtline was obsecuring my vision in the shallows and I wasn't even aware of the boiler. The secret to not losing your LC to the rocks is to know the difference between a grab and a bump into a rock or kelp. A grab is a grab and there is no real reason for a hookset. 99.9 % of the time the halibut or any other fish is immediatly hooked as soon as they grab the bait. A bump into a rock feels distinctly different and all you have to do is stop and let the bait gently suspend. The lip of the bait always runs into the structure first. It's actually very easy to bump your way through a boiler field GENTLY. Most guys fish the LC's too fast also which takes alot your feel away when bumping into things. I've been fishing the LC110 very hard for the last two years and have only lost 2 that I can remember and I've caught 100's of fish on them. They usually get so beat up from the surf zone before you lose them. I do use 12lb green p-line which is tougher than heck and has alot of stretch in it which also helps with working the bait loose when you get into trouble. The secret..........don't EVER go for the swing.....no need for it at all.
Keep in mind too that I love tossing my lc's around structure and absolutely dislike fishing them in open areas like cherry beach for example so my LC's are always on the edge of danger.
Just fish them slowly......when they bump....stop and gently drag. That will keep you out of trouble most of the time.

bsp
03-10-2010, 05:52 PM
x2 what bones said.

About your list, avoid anything Reaction Strike like the plague. I know you guys buy from them and you have to try and sell the products, but nobody I have talked to says they are anything but a failure of a company when it comes to making baits that actually work. From personal experience, you couldn't pay me to use their products....

The other decent alternatives are the Rapala X-Raps. They are cheaper, still have decent action, and cast relatively well. I haven't had as much luck with them, but they definitely work.

rusty6
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
know you guys buy from them and you have to try and sell the products
I wasn't trying to sell any products, just giving an opinion on some of the products I handle everyday. I will keep that in mind though. I did pick up the damiki and the spro today after I clocked out, I'll let you know how they are.

rusty6
03-10-2010, 06:46 PM
oh I forgot to mention, the McStick does have a similar weight transfer system as the FM or Pointer

lurk 182
03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Rapala x-rap 10 and 12 can usually be found for $8.99 and Sports Authority sometimes has buy one Rapala and get 2nd one half off. I'll bet halibut might even eat an old Husky Jerk, they don't know how long a bait has been on the market.

murrieta angler
03-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Good Info. Guys,
Robert