PDA

View Full Version : crowley opener 5 day minimum

fishfinder
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I just talked to the folks up at crowley lake today, and they said there is a 5 day minimum for camping for the opener (fri-tues) $100. What do they think this is las vegas on new years. seams to me some-one is getting greedy. and thats just to camp in the sage brush. Some-one up there should be thinking about the fisherman who just want to come up for a day or two. When i asked why the 5 day min. they gave me some B.S. excuse that they had to check for stickers of paid people every day if they didn't do 5 day min.
:BFish:I

oakboy
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Bummer sounds like their capitalizing on the deal big time. Definately kind of shisty.

IncredibleHuck
03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Why not camp at Browns Town, or one of the other campgrounds like at Convict, Lower Rock Creek, or one in Bishop Creek area?

Big Country
03-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Have fun wasting that $$$

EL_CHIDO
03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Just off-road to one of the many spots that you don't have to pay.

flytyingreloader
03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Greed and arrogance, Crowley Lake bywords. Nice place, but the people who run it think it's the only lake in the Sierras worth fishing in, and price their services accordingly. I won't spend a dime at that place, and haven't for 25 years+. They can pound sand, AFAIC.

IncredibleHuck
03-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Just off-road to one of the many spots that you don't have to pay.

Just be careful where you do this as some areas you can't just go and camp by the Owens. And after the fires they had along the Owens they will be checking.

retired96
03-10-2010, 01:57 PM
For years I have spent at least a week camping in Rock Creek during the opener and I have found that the fishermen on Crowley on Monday you can count on both hands. I refuse to pay the city of LA any money to fish Crowley. I think its a ripoff to make people pay for a five day minimum when 95% of the fishermen are only there for Sat. and Sunday. The last few years they charged all season to enter from Benton Crossing when normally it was only during the opener.

After 50 years of fishing the Sierras I am convinced the DWP has a number one priorty of taking the water and sending it to LA, the anglers are the least of their concern...

EL_CHIDO
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Just be careful where you do this as some areas you can't just go and camp by the Owens. And after the fires they had along the Owens they will be checking.

Thanks, I didn't know that or about the fires.

The area I go to there is about 15-20 cars/trucks and about 50 people in total. We've never had any problems and only been checked out by DFG rangers 1 time maybe 3 years ago.

fishfinder
03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I just a clarification from lake crowley in an email. sounds like the 5 day minimum is on the front side of the lake.

Yes. No problem. Just like the past years.

Beth Sheffield-Garrett

Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 5:26 PM
To: Crowley Lake Fish Camp
Subject: RE: camping

I have another question. Camping for one night before the opener, over by sandy point. Can you still do that?

fishincrave
03-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I know Crowely is a good fishery on the opener , But i know that there are more scenic lakes in the high sierras that have plenty of nice fish with less crowds .They don't charge for a min. five days just my:My Two Cents:

Sean

seal
03-11-2010, 08:34 AM
May I suggest Green Banks. No $100.00 fee, nice spot to put up tent or RV. No services though, bring some TP!

Big Country
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
You still have to pay to fish Green Banks as well...the access road off of benton crossing has a "gate keeper" and you gotta pay to pass.

seal
03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
You still have to pay to fish Green Banks as well...the access road off of benton crossing has a "gate keeper" and you gotta pay to pass.

Yes pay to pass but according to the email sent only the "FRONT" part of the lake is a part of the $100.00's per 5 days deal. This makes sense since you would have access to the facilities by the dock, not commenting on the forced 5 day cost though, I think that's extreme should be maybe a 3 day charge of some amount. If they were charging $100.00 for 5 days at the back end where no facilities are present then that would be beyond laughable, and extremely difficult if not impossible to enforce. Read the response from the lake earlier in this thread.

fishfinder
03-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes pay to pass but according to the email sent only the "FRONT" part of the lake is a part of the $100.00's per 5 days deal. This makes sense since you would have access to the facilities by the dock, not commenting on the forced 5 day cost though, I think that's extreme should be maybe a 3 day charge of some amount. If they were charging $100.00 for 5 days at the back end where no facilities are present then that would be beyond laughable, and extremely difficult if not impossible to enforce. Read the response from the lake earlier in this thread.

I just talked to them yesturday and it's laughable: $50 for 5 days on the back side of the lake.

Big Country
03-24-2010, 08:45 PM
There you have it.

seal
03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Yup I guess we do have it now! I keep trying to make sense of it but it just isn't working. Are you going to be able to come in and pay a one day gate fee? If so then are they going to make sure all day use people are gone at night? If they have to check people anyways then why not just have a $10.00 per day entrance/camping fee, eliminate the mandatory 5 day requirement.

baadfish69
03-29-2010, 02:38 AM
Not to get off the original point or anything, but why fish Crowley anyways? There are plenty of places to fish in the Sierras that are BY FAR better than Crowley.

seal
03-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Plenty of places by far better than Crowley????? Can I ask where you think is better than Crowley? If you are fly fishing, stripping streamers out there on Crowley and get blasted by an 18" or better freight train and you go for a ride in a tube I can't think of a better place to fish than Crowley up there. It depends on what you're after I guess, Crowley fish are excellent quality full finned with mostly Holdovers as opposed to the fresh stockers and Alpers planted at the other lakes.

baadfish69
03-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh Im sorry, didnt mean to strike a nerve....

Sure, Crowley has quality fish.....along with nasty wind....overcrowded with rude anglers, and probably the ugliest lake in the Sierras. Im sorry but I like my trips to the Sierras to be scenic and serene....not the complete opposite. :D

Marley
03-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Plenty of places by far better than Crowley????? Can I ask where you think is better than Crowley? If you are fly fishing, stripping streamers out there on Crowley and get blasted by an 18" or better freight train and you go for a ride in a tube I can't think of a better place to fish than Crowley up there. It depends on what you're after I guess, Crowley fish are excellent quality full finned with mostly Holdovers as opposed to the fresh stockers and Alpers planted at the other lakes.

Here, here. I can't think of another water that has the quality trout that Crowley has. Convict? Not even. MAYBE Bridgeport, but nowhere near the numbers as in Crowley and you have the same scenery. Guys who fish Itake II and gush about the fantastic fishing, please! And Alpers fish, while heavy and nice to look at, are overrated.
The weather and crowds are all part of the opener experience for me.

seal
03-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Oh Im sorry, didnt mean to strike a nerve....

Sure, Crowley has quality fish.....along with nasty wind....overcrowded with rude anglers, and probably the ugliest lake in the Sierras. Im sorry but I like my trips to the Sierras to be scenic and serene....not the complete opposite. :D

No nerve struck at all, it's all good up in the Sierra's!

Agree about some anglers being rude, not to metion SOME guides that think they own the lake, but not sure about the ugliest lake statement. Beautiful mountains surround it, but I guess if your focusing on the shoreline the cow crap and scrub brush isn't all that scenic.

baadfish69
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
No nerve struck at all, it's all good up in the Sierra's!

Agree about some anglers being rude, not to metion SOME guides that think they own the lake, but not sure about the ugliest lake statement. Beautiful mountains surround it, but I guess if your focusing on the shoreline the cow crap and scrub brush isn't all that scenic.

Yeah, but I guess there are rude anglers everywhere. Maybe Im just a Crowley hater.....but youre right, all is good in the Sierras! Best of luck to everyone on the Opener!

sierraslam
03-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Crowley on the Opener is pound for pound the best lake to fish. Every fish caught is a minimum of 16 inches, fat and has pink meat. The crowd sucks, but most people are tolerable. Last year got into to it with a camper at greenbanks that thought he could go to his trailer, have lunch, come back 1 hour later and still have his same spot. Just because your rod holder is stuck in the ground, doesn't mean your fishing. That's the negative about a Crowley Opener, all the fishermen wars. I don't like to combat fish, but will on the Opener when necessary. Good fishin!

stphnman20
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
LOL.. Well we might see less people at Crowley if DFG doesnt hurry up.

fishfinder
03-30-2010, 04:47 PM
They better start melting the ice too.

Flying
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
They better start melting the ice too.

Check it out now. Its snowing again
.http://thetroutfly.com/crowleycam.html

IncredibleHuck
03-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah it did! But you can see that the ICE is thawing on the lake too!

Liteweight
04-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Please don't take this wrong but,....have you seen Crowley on Opening day? It's supply in demand and they do get packed every year.

Liteweight
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
The Guides you refer to are from Sierra Drifter's. Whenever I've almost been swamped by a boat it always seems to be one of them. They have gotten soo bad that I don't even fish Crowley anymore. Even been tempted to carry my .357 and take a pot shot below the waterline (or a torpedo). One of them even got withing a rod length of me once (Threw a Sinker @ the boat....bullseye!) LOL
For secenery I like Silver, Convict, Lundy and Saddlebag.
Liteweight

retired96
04-03-2010, 06:55 AM
People with boats and trailers can forget about entering from Benton crossing as they put up some large cement rails last year that you have to manuver around, its impossible to drive thru them if you are towing anything, a motorhome can't even get thru.