PDA

View Full Version : Unibutter..

baloneysandwich
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I recently picked up some Unibutter and have had some good luck down at NPH. Its about $3-4 cheaper than hotsauce and seams to yield great results. The only problem i have found with the stuff is it makes unhooking the fish difficult as they swallow the plastic to the *******. Went down tonight and nailed a nice little spotty on the first cast.

Ill try and remember the camera next time so I can post some pics.

Well just thought I would share the tip, good fishing to you all.

mg2969
07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah
I've tried both Unibutter and Hot Sauce. I like the Unibutter better. It has a buttery thick consistency and seems to stay on the plastics much better than the hot sauce. The hot sauce is just that a sauce, it seems watery or oily compared to Unibutter. As a result every few casts requires a re-coat due to I guess the water pressure pulling the coat off. Unibutter seems to be much better

mg2969
MikeG

sansou
07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Weird: I just put that in my tacklebox for use tomorrow morning!!!!!!

halijedi
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
SMELLY JELLY! A tiny jar will last all year. Very thick, specie(s) specific, a lot cheaper than other scents and proven in both salt and freshwater by the pros, and it doesn't smell like Alpo dog food. :lol:

Liteliner
07-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Its easy to carry to......... tiny jar.......

KaliDawgFan
07-13-2007, 05:30 AM
SMELLY JELLY! A tiny jar will last all year. Very thick, specie(s) specific, a lot cheaper than other scents and proven in both salt and freshwater by the pros, and it doesn't smell like Alpo dog food. :lol:

I just saw that for the first time the other day and thought I should pick some up...just wasn't sure which one to get. Which scent/flavor do you prefer?

sonarbp
07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
baloneysandwich,

Where did you find the unibutter? I have only seen it in the San Diego area where it is made!!!!

sonarbp

halijedi
07-13-2007, 10:53 AM

I just saw that for the first time the other day and thought I should pick some up...just wasn't sure which one to get. Which scent/flavor do you prefer?

Oddly enough, for saltwater, I use "Bass Feast" religiously. This stuff works on everything. The saltwater specific scents are great as well, but personally, I have a lot of confidence in "Bass Feast."

For largemouths at the Lagoon, I have been smacking them silly on "Bass Hammer" and "Craw Anise."

CatchthatTrout
07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
baloneysandwich,

Where did you find the unibutter? I have only seen it in the San Diego area where it is made!!!!

sonarbp

Brian,

You can get it directly from them.

http://www.unigoop.com/

sonarbp
07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Oddly enough, for saltwater, I use "Bass Feast" religiously. This stuff works on everything. The saltwater specific scents are great as well, but personally, I have a lot of confidence in "Bass Feast."

For largemouths at the Lagoon, I have been smacking them silly on "Bass Hammer" and "Craw Anise."

Thanks halijedi for that bit of info....I might have to pick some up for when I tube in Newport!!!!! :thumb:

sonarbp

sonarbp
07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Tony,

I knew you can order it but I am like the spoiled little kid who has to have it right NOW!!!!!!! I DON"T WANT TO WAIT!!!!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!! j/k

I might have to order it.....or maybe it is a good excuse for me to make a trip to SD!!!! Maybe do a little fishing in Mission Bay!!!!

Thats is what I might do!!!!

Thanks again Tony.

sonarbp

CatchthatTrout
07-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Tony,

I knew you can order it but I am like the spoiled little kid who has to have it right NOW!!!!!!! I DON"T WANT TO WAIT!!!!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!! j/k

I might have to order it.....or maybe it is a good excuse for me to make a trip to SD!!!! Maybe do a little fishing in Mission Bay!!!!

Thats is what I might do!!!!

Thanks again Tony.

sonarbp

Brain,

I know they also have it at the OEX kayak shop on PCH at Huntington Harbor.

sonarbp
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Never been to the OEX shop.....wifey said I could get a yak if I stop the smoking!!! maybe I should take her down there to look at yaks and pick up a few jars of it!!!

Thanks for the info Tony!!

I am hoping to make it to the Irvine event in August....think I might tube if I can make it. Got to get to one of the events to meet all the people from the board.

Brian

b20monster
07-13-2007, 12:23 PM
i got some unibutter at sav-on tackle down in santa fe springs. that was about a month ago though.

sonarbp
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks b20monster,

I will have to check that out.....Savon-tackle is right down the fwy from my work!!!! I pass it everyday.

sonarbp

sullyfish
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Performance Tackle has some butter

ps - Smelly Jelly is all is use...

Sea Murda
07-13-2007, 04:46 PM
smelly jelly all the way,........and they really do last all year! :D
gonna try the butter though, I've heard nothing but positive stuff about it......

jplee3
07-13-2007, 04:51 PM
They have smelly jelly at Angler's Center off the 55 if you need some. When I went they didn't have the largest selection. I picked up anchovy something or another. Haven't gotten the chance to really use it though as I haven't been out in a super long time. I did give it a try right after getting it but didn't catch anything that time.

LBSea
07-13-2007, 05:36 PM
I would like to know where you get you Uni Butter from because I have NEVER seen it cheaper than Hot Sauce! Let me start by pointing out that Uni Butter is sold in a 2oz bottle for approx $10.00 each while Hot Sauce is sold in a 5oz bottle for approx $10.00 each. In fact, I just bought a new bottle of Hot Sauce and it was priced $9.98 w/tax. On my calculator that equals $5.00/oz for Uni Butter and $2.00/oz Hot Sauce.
Over a year ago I bought Uni Goop online and was encouraged to post any good news I had about this product. I used it to chum bait and although it worked I was not overly impressed. I was even sent twice as much as I ordered which was nice until I noticed the added freight charge an extra 1 gallon bucket. My point is that this company is very strong on internet testimonials and in my opinion is its more hype started by the owners more than anything else. They seem to post reports weekly of 100 fish days in SD Bay using this product. I am sure every bit of that is true. I also remember a guide by the name of Mike Gardener doing the same thing in Newport Harbor using JUST plastics. OHHH imagine that.

I can do just as well given the same locations, baits, gear, boat, etc... using Hot Sauce! Save your money and buy more gear.

Doug

Theedanimal
07-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I have seen the unibutter here at Glenn's in Costa Mesa. It's a little south on Baker from Fairview on your right hand side. According to the guy there the Unibutter is made from Sea Urchin... and if you've ever seen what fish do when a sea urchin is broken open... its madness.. Good luck with whatever you use.

Daniel.

halijedi
07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
I have seen the unibutter here at Glenn's in Costa Mesa. It's a little south on Baker from Fairview on your right hand side. According to the guy there the Unibutter is made from Sea Urchin... and if you've ever seen what fish do when a sea urchin is broken open... its madness.. Good luck with whatever you use.

Daniel.

If there is any natural food (cut squid, anchovy, mussel, worms etc...) where there is fish, usually a feeding frenzy occurs. I saw the promo video on Unigoop and I am not sold. I am sure it works, but for the ridiculous price, I would spend my money on something more useful. By the way, if you need chum, grind up mackerel and sardines and put it in a chum bag and see how the fish react to it.

Uni is best served at the sushi restaurants! It is so good!

halijedi
07-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I would like to know where you get you Uni Butter from because I have NEVER seen it cheaper than Hot Sauce! Let me start by pointing out that Uni Butter is sold in a 2oz bottle for approx $10.00 each while Hot Sauce is sold in a 5oz bottle for approx $10.00 each. In fact, I just bought a new bottle of Hot Sauce and it was priced $9.98 w/tax. On my calculator that equals $5.00/oz for Uni Butter and $2.00/oz Hot Sauce.
Over a year ago I bought Uni Goop online and was encouraged to post any good news I had about this product. I used it to chum bait and although it worked I was not overly impressed. I was even sent twice as much as I ordered which was nice until I noticed the added freight charge an extra 1 gallon bucket. My point is that this company is very strong on internet testimonials and in my opinion is its more hype started by the owners more than anything else. They seem to post reports weekly of 100 fish days in SD Bay using this product. I am sure every bit of that is true. I also remember a guide by the name of Mike Gardener doing the same thing in Newport Harbor using JUST plastics. OHHH imagine that.

I can do just as well given the same locations, baits, gear, boat, etc... using Hot Sauce! Save your money and buy more gear.

Doug

$10 for 2ozs? Considering this product needs constant reapplications, I don't it is worth it. Like I said before, Smelly Jelly!

By the way, I have used Yum's LPT and completely sold on it! The stuff definitely helps catch fish.

Halibut Dude
07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
SMelly jelly all the way ive used it alot and it seem to works good

4g63power
07-13-2007, 06:48 PM
yea smelly jelly bass feast works great...but the smell really kills me too

one_leg
07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Uni is best served at the sushi restaurants! It is so good!

Jedi, you are correct, sir.

I like Smelly Jelly and Hot Sauce. I haven't had the opportunity to evaluate the UniGoop. Maybe next week.

O_L

fish4keep
07-13-2007, 07:02 PM
This stuff works. I've fished with it since it came out. My buddy and I once fished side by side, him with hot sauce and me with the butter. I came out with 15 fish and he came out with the skunk. We were both throwing the same setup (bait, line size, rigged). Last night we went back out fishing. Him not using any scent and me again with the butter. I got another ~15 fish night while he got about 1/2 dozen.

baloneysandwich
07-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I got mine at Glenn's for 7 for a bottle

LBSea
07-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Fish4Keep,
Your test only convinces me that you are a better fisherman than your friend or your friend can't fish.

sullyfish
07-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm willing to do a Smelly Jelly vs Unibutter exp. in Newport Bay....

Would be interesting to see the results...

sonarbp
07-16-2007, 07:57 AM

Hey sully fish I will help you out on that if you want!!! I will pick up some unibutter and you use the smelly jelly.....we can tube newport side by side and see what attractant works better!!!!

sonarbp

bluefin2na
07-16-2007, 01:26 PM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE,, contact me and I will send you free bottles to try this side by side test with. THe 100 count days are real, and I freely take anyone out to show them ,, FREELY.. deal only good for SULLYFISH

I myself make and bottle this stuff, i dont have a bunch of people working for me, just me and my 75 year old father, and maybe a friend to put the lids on. the stuff is real and to say your not impressed with the underwater video, dont say much,, i mean it is the real deal and not the banjo minnow...

17 tourney wins in southern cal, from OCT when it came out, not bad.

halijedi, even a hot stick like you, should know who in the game of bigswim baits and big bass use unibutter, and brother there are some pretty big names.. Good Luck fellas....

sonarbp
07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey bluefin2na,

If sullyfish is up to the challenge I have offered to help him. Send sully the sent and I will help him in this side-by-side test.

When you want to tube sullyfish?

Let me know if you want to put the sents to the test!!!!!!

sonarbp

vanillagurilla
07-16-2007, 01:56 PM
i use good ol wD40.. works great.

sonarbp
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I use to use that when I first started bass fishing.....works great but very illegal!!

sonarbp

halijedi
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM

I love your one-liners. :lol:

Largemouth_Mitch
07-16-2007, 03:04 PM
The bottom line is Sully is a really good angler, period. He knows that bay as well as anyone in my personal opinion. I would say more times than not he would out fish someone heads up regardless of what scent he was using or going against.

In my opinion the hardest part for people to get past when using Uni-butter is how to store and apply it to their baits. The key is to heat it up or get in the sun and pour into another holding container for easy application. There are going to be days in the bay when it really doesn't matter if you have scent, but when the bite is finicky those short bites seem to get a lot more aggressive and hold longer when the butter is on. Before Uni-Butter I was all about Hot Sauce and still have a bottle, but if I'm fishing for Saltwater Bass and in the bays then Uni-Butter is what I'm applying to my baits. Again the key is how you store it and that should be in a small power bait jar or a plastic container after it's melted down. You should also consider adding glitter if you want to get fancy.

bluefin2na
07-16-2007, 04:14 PM
the fact that i was able to take a by-product of a sea urchin was missed by alot of people here. Sure you can take and kill mackeral or shrimp, or deans, etc etc. Fact is that I took something that was getting tossed, converted it into a useable product all the while keeping it natural and not trashing our bays, lakes etc etc.
We as fisher men, spend 40 to 50 million a year on scents, Very few are made by :JUST: guys. Fact is alot are made by big companies who never even fish. some say, it cost too much, but i bet your not spooling up with BOUY BOY line from K mart are ya? Nope.
You can add your scents and all the dow chemicals that are in it , or go natural that several top brands have stayed. The choice is yours plain and simple. I was a hot sauce guy for years, Heck I still love the stuff, but i thought outside the box and not following anyone in a line, I had a thought and went for it with the help of NOT friends but guys from these sites who then became friends.
Start thinking outside the box for a change, you will be surprised at what you find out about yourself.....

take it easy,, have fun and take a kid fishing...

I find it pretty sad that guys would hammer a product without even trying it out 1st, just think if everyone was like that....

halijedi
07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
the fact that i was able to take a by-product of a sea urchin was missed by alot of people here. Sure you can take and kill mackeral or shrimp, or deans, etc etc. Fact is that I took something that was getting tossed, converted it into a useable product all the while keeping it natural and not trashing our bays, lakes etc etc.
We as fisher men, spend 40 to 50 million a year on scents, Very few are made by :JUST: guys. Fact is alot are made by big companies who never even fish. some say, it cost too much, but i bet your not spooling up with BOUY BOY line from K mart are ya? Nope.
You can add your scents and all the dow chemicals that are in it , or go natural that several top brands have stayed. The choice is yours plain and simple. I was a hot sauce guy for years, Heck I still love the stuff, but i thought outside the box and not following anyone in a line, I had a thought and went for it with the help of NOT friends but guys from these sites who then became friends.
Start thinking outside the box for a change, you will be surprised at what you find out about yourself.....

I find it pretty sad that guys would hammer a product without even trying it out 1st, just think if everyone was like that....

I've tried the scent. As far as it helping me catch more fish, I couldn't tell.

However, I will say that I believe there are cheaper and better scents on the market. This is nothing personal Tommy, just stating my opinion of a product as a consumer.

Largemouth Mitch stated a few things I agree with. He suggested putting your product into a different container, heating it up and adding glitter. Sounds like too much work for me.

I've used Pro-Cure products. Hated every last one of them. The scent rubs off after the first cast, the bottle gets messy and it didn't make a difference on the water.

Smelly Jelly on other hand is cheap, VERY adhesive (will stay on plastics for hours after one application, even in warm water conditions), many of them have glitter mixed in, and is available for specific species of fish.

Just to let you guys know, I am by no way connected with the Smelly Jelly organization (although I would love to get their sponsorship). However, I've been promoting their products in my articles and seminars because the stuff clearly makes a difference.

If some of your hard baits are dull (not flashy enough), apply a thin coat of Smelly Jelly and you will notice a significant amount of flash thanks to glitter that is infused into the paste.

sansou
07-16-2007, 05:03 PM
I'll have to try Smelly Jelly.

But in the meantime, I have no problems with Unibutter, or for that matter, the Unigoop chum bombs. They attract baitfish like crazy.

Maybe the stuff only works good for us Sandy Eggans...

one_leg
07-16-2007, 05:44 PM

And you call yourself a Trout angler?.....lol...j/k

One_Leg

sansou
07-16-2007, 06:41 PM

One_Leg

Well...real trout anglers use pro-cure among other things... :D

halijedi
07-16-2007, 06:42 PM

One_Leg

Well...real trout anglers use pro-cure among other things... :D

Oh lord, we have trout anglers going at it now. :lol:

bluefin2na
07-16-2007, 07:22 PM

I've tried the scent. As far as it helping me catch more fish, I couldn't tell.

However, I will say that I believe there are cheaper and better scents on the market. This is nothing personal Tommy, just stating my opinion of a product as a consumer.

Largemouth Mitch stated a few things I agree with. He suggested putting your product into a different container, heating it up and adding glitter. Sounds like too much work for me.

I've used Pro-Cure products. Hated every last one of them. The scent rubs off after the first cast, the bottle gets messy and it didn't make a difference on the water.

Smelly Jelly on other hand is cheap, VERY adhesive (will stay on plastics for hours after one application, even in warm water conditions), many of them have glitter mixed in, and is available for specific species of fish.

Just to let you guys know, I am by no way connected with the Smelly Jelly organization (although I would love to get their sponsorship). However, I've been promoting their products in my articles and seminars because the stuff clearly makes a difference.

If some of your hard baits are dull (not flashy enough), apply a thin coat of Smelly Jelly and you will notice a significant amount of flash thanks to glitter that is infused into the paste.

I dont remember saying anything about it being personal, nor would i attack anyone in a open fourm, unless it was all in fun. Fact is,, CHEMICALS are added to alot of scents, ALOT, this adds to our freshwater lakes which over time can cause fish cancer. Think about what we are adding to our waters when we add a chemical induced scent.

Better scents on the market, you bet, cheaper,, yup that too, but how many are hand made by local guys? TESTED by some of the hottest sticks in san diego county? passed out freely whenever i,m on the water, the list is long. does unibutter make you a better fishermen? cant really say, but with all the T.V. shows ive done, radio shows and all that I would like to add that if your using ANY scent, anyone at all, and you think it makes you a better fishermen, then you will be a better fishermen. Its a mind set, some have weak minds while others can over come.

when we leave to go fishing, we hook up our trailer, getting grease and oil on our hands, smoke if you do, coffee from 7/11 and dont forget your pumping gas too, all that adds up to HUMAN STINK,, so if your using any scent at all, dont you think it will mask said oder? You bet, so why not use scent? Like i said, will it make you a better fishermen? it will if you think so, does unibutter make me a better fishermen ? I believe so, my Jr.ProStaff members who are Kids under the age of 18 are having a blast with this stuff, does it make them a better fishermen? who cares all i know is I got kids using my product having a blast when fishing, and after all is that not what we started out doing as kids? having fun,, you remember that part about fishing right? whatever happened to just having fun and trading tackle on the floor with your best friend like you did baseball cards?

I was once told like 30 years ago, instead of trying to tell everyone what a great fishermen you are, why not try to make everyone alittle better.So, I took that to heart and stopped with all the bull telling everyone what i thought I was as far as making aliving at sea and I made unibutter, and you know what? Its alot more fun, helping others then it is trying to make everyone believe that i,m a great fishermen..

So I fish on sundays and 3 times aweek in the afternoon, if any of you are in San Diego on the weekend, look me up the weds before, I will be more then happy to take ya out and toss some plastics and chew the fat..
or if you see me at the ramp, hit me up for a bottle i might have some in the truck...

Good luck to you all and remember to take a kid fishing,,,, remember when someone did that for you.

Tommy

sullyfish
07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks Tommy

PM sent

one_leg
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
I believe the stuff would work great after seeing how insane the fishy's would get when I smashed a few of them open to attract some fish for a photo op while doing U/W photography. :D

It was all gone in a matter of seconds. We ate our fair share on deck too.

I usually spent my time in pursuit of Abalone or Lobster though.

I wana try this stuff out, too!

One_Leg

bluefin2na
07-17-2007, 04:02 PM
sully, getting old is a son of a gun. Took a phone call to remember who you were. your the guy that took the PLASTICNAVY NEWPORT TOURNY
in a FLOAT TUBE using UNIBUTER.MAN that was classic,,, I got some shirts coming, missspelleddd and all I,m sending ya...

See ya on the water

ikeman
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm new to the board but been around for quite a while. I guess I'm a lurker finally comming "out of the closet"!!

I fish the harbors, bays and beaches a lot and started using unibutter in Mission Bay this spring. It's finally made it's way up the coast. Great stuff! Stays on well but you need to keep it in your pocket to stay liquid, if it gets cool it will solidify. Also, shake it up a bit to mix. They make a chum for offshore also.

I'm just lazy at posting anything, but maybe tonight's fish will go up. The Grunion have been running and the keylime 3" big hammers slathered with the butter murders 'em at twilight. Dana Harbor is a great fishery for pissin' off the bass! C&R, and go barbless in the harbors and bays! This is a great board and all of you that post are well informed and seem to truly want to help new fisherman. Thats what fishing should be, having a good time and sharing the passion. Hasta

sonarbp
07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Welcome ikeman.

Look forward to see your post. I have heard good things about the unibutter from guys that fish San Diego areas......I have wanted to try it but could never find it! Now that I know it is up in our area I plan on adding it to the arsenal soon!!!

Hope to see ya on the water!

sonarbp

bluefin2na
07-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks Tommy

PM sent

I sent you a case SULLYFISH, and whatever the outcome is, just post it up. Because as in life, when all is said and done, more is said then done. Good luck with the product and have a great time fishing, cause thats what its all about..

Tommy

skildfisher
07-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Smelly jelly is cool BUT unibutter is way better or at least it is for me! It works real well and doesn't wash off plastics etc. If anything you guys should try it out, you won't be disappointed :)

sullyfish
07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks Tommy...

Bassnut
07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Spotties love it, never leave home with out it. :thumb: :thumb:

blackmav04
07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Unibutter all the way.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/yakbass002.jpg

I have tried smelly jelly and skunked.

Fisherman57
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey Tommy......

Nice speaking with ya today.......... I'll call ya
before I head down that way.......... looking forward to it.

Dana
FISHERMAN 57

bluefin2na
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I,m sending a box of samples to Sully up north. You guys can hit him up to try the stuff out. I got a whole lot of PMs from guys asking about it.
Sully thanks for trying it out and I hope to meet you someday soon.

The box of samples will be going out monday and I,m sending about 50 or so to ya, have fun and remember to post the truth

8/3/07

fishfreak
08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
SMELLY JELLY is the way to go. it stays on longer, it's inexpensive, and dosen't smell like *****. once the fish bite into the plastic with the scent, they tend to hold on to the plastic a bit longer. i hightly recomment it, especially in the nightcrawler scent. it helped me when i was out at the lagoon.

Largemouth_Mitch
08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
SMELLY JELLY is the way to go. it stays on longer, it's inexpensive, and dosen't smell like *****. once the fish bite into the plastic with the scent, they tend to hold on to the plastic a bit longer. i hightly recomment it, especially in the nightcrawler scent. it helped me when i was out at the lagoon.

Smelly Jelly is a good product for sure. When was the last time they sent out a box of 40-50 bottles for free so that those interested in trying it could get it from someone though? Never! How's that for inexpensive? Smelly Jelly smells bad just like most scents as does Uni-Butter hence they are referred to as scents. Last time I checked the forage that bass prey upon don't smell that great. Try this experiment next time you want to fish the kelp or a bay. Open a jar of smelly jelly and video the reaction of the fish and then do the same thing with a bag of uni-goop and see the difference for yourself. Just be prepared for the feeding frenzy and get out of the way...

Here's a sweet video of the damage the bass do...
http://www.unigoop.com/video.htm

Let me just say this...

If Performance Tackle is hell bent on carrying it then you know it's legit because those guys don't mess around, period.

grafix111
08-06-2007, 04:30 PM

call me crazy, but I like it when I buy a scent and the smell is strong.
Isnt that kind of the point of scent :roll: