PDA

View Full Version : Lake Piru Please HELP!!!

Basstracker175
03-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Hello,
I am new to FNN and bass fishing. I was concidering a little recon trip to Lake Piru to try to learn the lake and possible catch some bass. I was hoping for some help on what to look for as far as locations and structure around the lake, lure color or rigging that may produce this time of year. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fire Ball
03-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I actually caught my first bass there and it was on a chartreuse spinnerbait. There are a lot of weeds there, at least when I went so I was focusing on those a lot. I'm not sure if there still are a lot of weeds considering it is winter, but look for them. The water isn't that clear, so you should be able to use any colors that will get noticed by the fish better.

cjcates007
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
try working your way back into coves with direct warming sun. Bass are moving up now scouting spawning sites. Slow roll a shad color spinnerbait or drop shot a roboworm, or throw a green pumpkin or watermelon trailer and brown jig. Any of those methods should work on all these lakes around here. Water is still in the 50's, so work slow, nothing too fast. Once you see temps in the mid 60's it should be game on for other lures including topwater. Good luck.

Ray Lopez
03-09-2010, 07:07 AM
i don't have too much experience on this lake but i do know from others that fish it on the regular, that it is a spinner bait lake. Last time i was there i was out slinging my d/s robos and some cranks for nothing but watched a few guys tossing bright colored spinner baits and slamming um off cliff walls and back in the coves. Good luck out there!

Cangler
03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
All i do when i go there is work my way up the left side near the cliffs

baitmaster
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I used to fish at the cliffs across from Blue Point Camp. It has been a few years since I fished Piru, but they were out of water the last time I was there. The water was down to 42,000 AF then and it is only 32,000 ias of January. It will probably be higher now with the recent rain.
I had one of my best bass days fishing Piru at 78,000 AF in Santa Felicia Cove across from the marina. Never had much luck in Cow Cove.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/ddawson1020/lakepiru.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.socalcarpclub.com/piru.html&h=575&w=450&sz=53&tbnid=Pp1N1jYP0BaUUM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=105&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlake%2Bpiru&usg=__cavaHYPtRZ7JDKuwo2Vw7d1BUBw=&ei=lOGWS93sI4zgswOuq83BAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=8&ct=image&ved=0CCQQ9QEwBw

Califonia Data Exchange for lake leves at Piru
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryMonthly?PRU&d=09-Mar-2010+15:54&span=2years

fishfinder
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I used to fish that lake a lot when i was younger. The bait was always cheartuse spinnerbaits, with the red beads on them. I just talked to them yesturday and the water is dwon 40' from the spillway right now, and they are buying no more water, so its all up to the rain. we used to fish around the weeds in reasoner cove mostly, but not until april is when we did best.

Fire Ball
03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I used to fish that lake a lot when i was younger. The bait was always cheartuse spinnerbaits, with the red beads on them. I jsut talked to them yesturday and the water is dwon 40' from the spillway right now, and they are buying no more water, so its all up to the rain. we used to fish around the weeds in reasoner cove mostly, but not until april is when we did best.

I definitely agree with what you said!

Basstracker175
03-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the great info. I am hoping to get up there this weekend and learn the lake. I did hear the water level was down but am hoping the fish will adapt. Is this a reaction lake all the time, or could I try fishing something slower until the water warms up. Should i be targeting flats or drop offs? I dont think there is much chance of weeds with the water still being cold. I am still clueless on what to do once i get there LOL. I know its early in the season, but I hope i can produce.

fishfinder
03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
the water has come up some and should have covered some weeds in that time. i have had some luck from the marina all around whatever there is of reasoner cove. still a little eaarly for spinnerbait i would think, but i dont bass fish any more. Striper mania has got me by the hand. wish they would wash down piru creek from pyramid into that lake.

Socal Bassman
03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
I would try using a jerkbait or slow rolling a spinnerbait in the morning. Then move on to slower presentations if those don't produce. Santa Felicia Cove is a good place to start, as well as the dam. There's also a point between Diablo Cove and Cow cove which has a dropoff and seems to be very productive every time I fish there.