PDA

View Full Version : Prevent Salmon/Trout Poisoning in Dogs!

Fisherman57
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
"Salmon poisoning in dogs is from the ingestion of certain kinds of raw fish that contain parasites that are toxic to dogs. If you suspect that are dog might have eaten fish, contact your veterinarian immediately since this condition can cause death."

After speaking with some industry folks this week at the Fred Hall Show....... I thought I'd post some information I gathered on this topic as a reminder to us all......

Lets all keep this in mind when it comes to your canine friends......
DO NOT LET YOUR DOG EAT RAW FISH!

Pet owners may not know that a deadly disease known as Salmon Poisoning Disease (SPD) is lurking outdoors near lakes that can result in death if the symptoms are not diagnosed properly or treated quickly.

Pet owners need to be aware of the potential risks involved in allowing dogs to be exposed to an environment where raw fish may be present and can infect their pets.

SPD is an acute, infectious disease that affects dogs, wolves, ferrets and foxes, when they ingest uncooked salmon, trout, steelhead, and similar freshwater fish. While the disease is typically more prevalent in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon and northern California), the disease has surfaced from a dog ingesting raw fish in Southern Calfornia.

Symptoms of SPD include vomiting, loss of appetite, fever, diarrhea, weakness, swollen lymph nodes, and dehydration.

“Most people in this area are unfamiliar with the symptoms of this disease, which appear within five to seven days after eating infected raw fish. Left undiagnosed, SPD can be fatal within several weeks,” explained Mike Moore, DVM, at VCA All-Care Animal Referral Center.

“SPD is treatable if diagnosed quickly. If your dog has been around raw fish or you are unsure of what they have ingested and symptoms appear, consider SPD a possibility and see your veterinarian immediately for evaluation and treatment,” he added.

The standard diagnosis for SPD is the presence of fluke ova, which are found through a fecal examination in the majority of cases. Left untreated, animals usually succumb due to dehydration, electrolyte and acid-base imbalances, and anemia. Therefore, general supportive therapy to maintain hydration and acid-base balance, while meeting nutritional requirements and controlling diarrhea, are essential. Treatment generally involves antibiotics and a “wormer,” as well as intravenous fluids. Upon receiving treatment, most dogs show initial improvement within several days, but the course of antibiotic treatment usually lasts for three weeks.

While SPD symptoms can be confused with other gastrointestinal conditions, due to the serious nature of the disease, it is critical to obtain a timely diagnosis and as necessary, initiate supportive veterinary treatment to minimize the serious risks of this disease.

Salmon and other types of fish that swim upstream to breed can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. The parasite is harmless but many are infected with an organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca that is the cause of the poisoning.

If you suspect that your dog was wandering near a stream or lake with fish, or if they ate garbage that may contain fish, tell your veterinarian.

Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish with death occurring in 14 days. Only 10% of dogs survive if left untreated.

Symptoms of Salmon Poisoning in Dogs

Signs of canine salmon poisoning occur within six days of eating infected fish. Symptoms are severe and include:

* vomiting
* lack of appetite
* fever
* bloody diarrhea
* weakness
* swollen lymph nodes
* dehydration

Diagnosis of Salmon Poisoning

Your veterinarian will diagnose salmon poisoning by taking a stool sample or a they can use a needle to extract liquid from a lymph node. If the parasite’s eggs are detected or even suspected, given the risk of this illness, treatment will start.

Treatment of Canine Salmon Poisioning Disease

Treatment includes an anti-biotic and a dewormer to help with the parasite. If your dog is hydrated then intravenous fluid will be needed. Once treatment has started there should be an improvement within 2 days.

If you'd like more information, a simple Google search on the subject will return with lots of information.......

As I watched the beautiful "Dock Dogs" work at the Fred Hall Show, I was reminded of all this by a friend....... so just be sure to always protect your family's "best friend" from SPD.....

FISHNCHIPS
03-11-2010, 09:35 PM
While working for MLTF I saw a few dogs that were sick from "salmon poisoning" . My lab became seriously ill and I mentioned it to one of our cowboy co-workers and he said "LA-200"
I asked what was that and he said just give 3 cc's (injection) and it will clear right up. Couldn't believe it but to try to avoid a vet bill I borrowed a bottle from a cattleman and bingo,two hours and he was up and fine.
LA- 200 is an anti-biotic commonly used in livestock and easily found in a farm supply store. It truly works like a miracle on this sickness which many times will kill a dog.
The organism lives in water snails and transfers to salmonids and then can be passed to dogs in raw,fresh blood.
Do be careful of leaving scraps and blood around when cleaning fish.

Troutman65
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
So cats can eat the raw fish ?

FISHNCHIPS
03-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Cats can eat all the raw salmonid they want with no ill effect.