PDA

View Full Version : Still looking to best use the Innkeeper

Tin Pangas
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey guys,

I'm still kinda new to the board and still looking to team up with someone who thinks that they can make good use of the live Innkeeper worms that I've been getting lately.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae283/mohrfamily/Tin%20Pangas/CIMG1346.jpg

I've got the pair of 12' aluminums on the double trailer...my 'twin tin pangas' and can't decide where best to fish the Innkeepers. We can use the plastics too but...I know that these baits have got to have some serious potential somewhere.

I just got another one yesterday. I can get them consistently now without even dredging up a ton of ghost shimp to do it.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae283/mohrfamily/Tin%20Pangas/pics005.jpg

Any takers?

bones
03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
OK...I'm game......I guess I've seen one "Tosh O" show too many.......

Are ya dredging in Thailand by the sex change hospital waste outlet?

Those things are N A S T Y

murrieta angler
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
What The ?!?
I think I saw those on FEAR FACTOR one time...lol
Those are crazy looking worms. Where did you get them from? If I may ask?
Robert

flyngby
03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Based on the fact that you have them plated I glad I did not come to your house for dinner!!!:ROFL:

I have no suggestions as to where to put them to use for their greatest potential, but I am sure the members (no pun intended) on the board will be able to help you out!

Steve :Popcorn:

ReveilleDeck
03-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Corbina Candy!! Newport harbor + stripped out innkeeper worms + carolina rig = Corbina and Spotfin Croaker.

jerryG
03-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Serously Inn Keepers can produce some MONSTER Corbina in the bays. I have seen some huge corbs caught on Inn Keepers.

JerryG

DockRat
03-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Went to a Surf Fishing seminar at the FH show by Bill Varney. He is a bait guy mostly and talked about inn keepers.
Mostly a beginner surf fishing class, but he did tell me where a guy on another site get his 25" corbinas so it will be game on for me soon.
I guess you can dig them up where you see the little ant hills in the back bays or at low tide or next to the rocks in the marinas.

How do you tell a inn keeper hole from a ghost shrimp hole ? Do you cut them ? How big of pieces ?

Natural History
Innkeeper worms build U-shaped burrows in the muddy sand of low-zone mudflats. These fine "innkeepers" maintain lodgings for their buddies in the mud. Food, shelter and running water pumped by the innkeeper worm attract a motley crew of guests to this burrow. Some, like the arrow goby, check in and out quickly; others, like pea crabs and scale worms, take up permanent residency. The innkeeper isn't bothered by these guests, but doesn't benefit, either.
Conservation
Many kinds of plants, birds and fishes depend on the special mix of fresh and salt water found in wetlands. When we protect wetlands against development, we protect the homes of many animals.
Cool Facts
Innkeeper worms eat by creating a "slime net" that traps tiny bits of food drifting in the water. When the net's full of food, the innkeper swallows its meal—net and all.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/AnimalDetails.aspx?id=778938

Have you tried putting one in a plastic bag and going into a ER and sitting down to see peoples reactions ? When they ask just say ' It's Personal ' :ROFL: DR

DockRat
03-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Here is a pic in the U shaped hole they build.

What do look like when you cut them ?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff163/anutjami/Monterey%20Aquarium/DSCF1815.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/yellowragdoll/neat%20pictures/GHoneyvistsBHoney2-19to2-23-092yrAn.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee245/chiquitit75/screaryface.jpg
DR

Tin Pangas
03-09-2010, 06:46 AM
I am going to try Newport harbor this weekend and will post a report. I was just hoping for more specific info. I agree with Reveille Deck and jerryG about the carolina rig and in the bays but also know that I need to narrow it down to spots, depth, tide, etc.

As for cutting them open and strip bait...they are very tough on the outside and absolutely disgusting on the inside.

Jaysuuun
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I saw those for the first time surf fishing up north. I'm usually not afraid to handle any kind of bait, but those are just NASTY. They are deadly for stripers in the surf up north.

Tin Pangas
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey Jaysuuun,

I'm gonna hit up Newport Harbor on Saturday to give these things a try. Will you and Tess be fishing on that day. We can keep a lookout for you. I'll be with my 11 year old daughter. She loves reading your posts on spotties.

I have fished them for many years and your posts remind me of the days when I used to float around in a truck tire inner tube (this was literally before they invented float tubes for fishing) and get pulled around by big spotties in there.

I'm used to working the plastics and hope that I can find the right spot (and patience) to catch something on these baits.

ryryk
03-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey good luck with those ! Hope to see an awesome report saturday evening/sunday with the worms being a success!
Nice boat set up too.
Right now I'm waitin for my first batch of big hammer swimbaits to come on ups today. So hopefully I can get out to nph or alamitos bay to test them out. Maybe ill see ya out there

Tight lines

old pudd fisher
03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
OK...I'm game......I guess I've seen one "Tosh O" show too many.......

Are ya dredging in Thailand by the sex change hospital waste outlet?

Those things are N A S T YThat was so funny...Damn nasty looking things indeed. Nice one bones:ROFL:

joe blow
04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Try a size 4 or 2 baitholder hook on an 18 in. leader of 6 to 12 lb line & a 3/4 oz egg sinker. Don't pin the innkeeper directly on the hook, instead take a rubber band &wrap it tite around the center of the worm, then put the hook thru the rubber band. if you try to put the hook into the innkeeper worm it will pop like a water balloon leaving you with nothing but an empty dead skin (which do catch fish , but not nearly as good as alive rubber band rigged bait). Good luck & tite lines!

Tin Pangas
04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the tip Joe. I still haven't had any success with them. I put an Innkeeper out and the other rods with the ghost shrimp and/or blood worms still get all of the fish.

smokehound
04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
i have yet to see an innkeeper "pop" as you describe..