PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtail at the Coronados...Recon 3/5

Mojave River Angler
03-08-2010, 08:04 AM
My friend and I took the Malahini 3/4 day trip to the Coronados for Yellowtail on 3/5. It was tough fishing for us all day. 60 on board and about 12-15 got yellowtail. The last couple of hours we gave up on yelllows and tried for rock fish...no go also since we had no squid and they didn't really want the chovies whole or in pieces. The trip was a bust for us, but we were glad to see that a few people got lucky. We look forward to the yellows return to SD in force. We will be back.

It looked to me like everyone on the boat was doing the same thing and throwing the same jigs in a variety of colors. We went for the "breakfast burrito" and yellow/brown combo. I think my frined also threw out the blue/chrome for a while as well. I don't know if I have ever been on a cattle boat where we spent so much time just looking for fish. As mentioned by others, the number of boats out there was insane. I counted 40 just on the outside of the islands at one point. There had to be at least 20 more boats in the area.

MRA

lngbchfnhnter
03-08-2010, 08:18 AM
You'll get um next time!

Koontaj
03-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Sorry to hear that...next time. Im thinking of going this thursday on the same boat. Man I feel so bad because my friend jessie went, but before he left he asked me...you think I should go and I said HELL YA. I couldn't go because of work. He has not called me back ever since. Its fishing, it happens...

murrieta angler
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah it's a bummer driving all that way to be skunked.
But hey, if you didn't try and the boat went WFO, you woulda been P/O'd for sure. You'll get em next time.
Robert

Newfishsmell
03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Befor a trip I often second guess myself and ask should I go ?
Then I have to tell myself , if I dont go I wont have any chance .
You'll get your YT soon .....
Good Luck