PDA

View Full Version : been a while - carp report 3/7

camrydad
03-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Appologies for such a long report but it was such a fun day, I wanted to share...

Its been a long time since I've posted haven't really had a chance to get out much. Anyway, I've been telling my brother-in-law about all the cool carp reports. He used to catch a lot of it when he was younger, so I said we should give it a try. Given the possibility of rain, we decided to go anyway. So I booked a trip on ToadsToadsOnly free carp guide service and we were going to meet up with TTO at the lake at 2pm.

Got there and fished a few spots for two hours with nada. TTO and I went to another spot to try while my brother-in-law and his family kept trying the second spot.

After getting to the next spot, about maybe 30mins in, TTO's rod goes bendo and he's got a carp on. This fish start a run that basically took all of the 4lb test line, he was down to the knot, with some acrobatic maneuvering, he was able to get to a spot where he could fight the fish better and lands the fish. I think it must of taken about 20 minutes to land this carp. We called the rest of the group over and they couldn't believe the size of the carp, I believe it was about 29 inches and about 15lbs.A few families walking around and were amazed at the size of the fish too.

A bit later TTO rods goes bendo again and he hands it me. I think he felt sorry for me or he was on the phone :LOL:. I take the rod and the carp starts it run, I had to run around the point that we were by to get to the spot where I could fight the fish. Several times, it took long runs and in my head, I'm thinking I'm going to get spooled. But I kept at it. My nephew comes over to see the fight, TTO is giving me instructions so I don't lose the fish. And right then, the down pour started, I was fighting this thing with no end in sight and the rain was really coming down. Right then I was also thinking about my rod that was sitting there with the line in the water. TTO tells my nephew to head back and keep an eye on my rod. He gets back and a few minutes later my rod has a fish on. He's too scared to fight the fish, so TTO heads back to land it.

All this happening while I was still fighting the fish I've got on, it just doesn't give up. I think its tired, I reel in a few times and it takes off again. Well, finally we get it in, TTO take a trout net down into the water to get the fish, he brings it up and the thing is HUUUUGGGE!!! My hands were red and fingers were shaking. Best fight I've ever had with a freshwater fish. So we are at three carps now. Two bigger units about the same size and the small one was the first fish. I swear, it felt like an eternity fight this guy and didn't know which one of us was gonna give in first.

We gave 1 away, TTO took one and I took one. We got it home, weighted him and he was 18lbs. So two around 18lbs and one probably at 15lbs, in my estimation. That was a lot of fish. I cleaned him and we threw on the grill, he didn't actually fit, we had to position him diagonally to grill him. With the cold air, took about an hour and forty minutes to totally cook him. Carp is actually pretty good, tasted like trout to me.

Anyway, it was a great outing. Thanks TTO for the guide service. We'll be hitting up again soon.

This is a picture of me and TTO with our carps.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/camrydad/IMG_4499-1.jpg

Yes, a cookie and beer please. LOLz.

Fishbones
03-07-2010, 10:30 PM
those are some fat golden bass......very nice report and it wasnt to long...

good job to you and a hats off to TTO for the guide service

fishbones

carpanglerdude
03-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Whoa, way to go on the carp. Nice fish.

While I'm not a big fan of keeping them, I do mostly C/R, I am glad to finally read a report about someone eating them and liking them. Too many times I run into people that are shocked that anyone would fish for carp, let alone think of eating them. They will tell me that stupid joke about cooking a carp on wooden plank, then throwing away the carp and eating the plank.

Ok, enough ranting from me. What did you guys use as bait?

camrydad
03-07-2010, 11:05 PM
those are some fat golden bass......very nice report and it wasnt to long...

good job to you and a hats off to TTO for the guide service

fishbones

Thanks fishbones. TTO knows his stuff for sho.

camrydad
03-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Whoa, way to go on the carp. Nice fish.

While I'm not a big fan of keeping them, I do mostly C/R, I am glad to finally read a report about someone eating them and liking them. Too many times I run into people that are shocked that anyone would fish for carp, let alone think of eating them. They will tell me that stupid joke about cooking a carp on wooden plank, then throwing away the carp and eating the plank.

Ok, enough ranting from me. What did you guys use as bait?

I think it depends on the preparation as well. But you know, we asian eat almost anything. ;)

We were using corn.

Porkchop5420
03-07-2010, 11:08 PM
WTG Alex! This is Andrew, we gotta catch some bat ray again!

camrydad
03-07-2010, 11:15 PM
WTG Alex! This is Andrew, we gotta catch some bat ray again!

Hey Andrew!!! Heard you broke your Clarus, I just had the same thing happened at you know where. Going to take back for over the counter exchange.

I'm always up for the bat rays, I may even land one this time...hehehe

blackberg
03-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Nice Carp
My dad used to fish for Carp out in Elsinore back in the day, have to get home one some carp to bring back memories...
-bb

fish_sauce
03-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Nice catches guys. I really gotta try out carping sometime. Any recommendations on types of lines to use and hook setup?

Thankyou for the report!

Wingnut
03-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Carp is good in canh chua. :Wink:
Nice job on those nice size Carp, they're lots of fun on light line.

fish_sauce
03-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Hahahah. Typical Vietnamese. ;)

ToadsToadsOnly
03-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Nice job on those nice size Carp, they're lots of fun on light line.
Ha ha The Vietnames specialty Canh chua, carp I guess that would work.

I gave my buddy "Beaner" a couple and said they taste great deep fried.

Whats the reason posting if you are going to black out the background? Thanks for nothing haha. Im glad I was able to get you hooked up on a Toad carp alex you did a good job landing it. I wanted to go carp fishing all day. I dropped off mine to my dad im going to ask him what he did with it.

They probably taste great with a beer and a cookie.

camrydad
03-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Ha ha The Vietnames specialty Canh chua, carp I guess that would work.

I gave my buddy "Beaner" a couple and said they taste great deep fried.

Whats the reason posting if you are going to black out the background? Thanks for nothing haha. Im glad I was able to get you hooked up on a Toad carp alex you did a good job landing it. I wanted to go carp fishing all day. I dropped off mine to my dad im going to ask him what he did with it.

They probably taste great with a beer and a cookie.

Thanks Jonathan. Canh Chua would have been great, especially after the rain. I'll have to get a serious knife to cut it with though, that thing had a serious rib cage inside of it.

camrydad
03-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Nice catches guys. I really gotta try out carping sometime. Any recommendations on types of lines to use and hook setup?

Thankyou for the report!

It was a spinning setup with 4 lb line on it, make sure your spool up all the way, these guys will take it all. If you want more details, search for TTO's previous posts, he had a lot tips in there.

Ray Lopez
03-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I think it depends on the preparation as well. But you know, we asian eat almost anything. ;)

We were using corn.

at least you said it and not me lol

great job guys those things are toads for sure.

beautiful golden bass!!!!!

DodgersFan
03-08-2010, 08:15 AM
i feed the birds with all my carp

carpanglerdude
03-08-2010, 09:09 AM
cool story bro

marzocchi
03-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Those things are fat. I am think I might do some carp action this week.