PDA

View Full Version : Hit up the beach today for a halibut slay

Fishbones
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
my girl had work today so after i dropped her off i was in the area for a few hours so i headed down to the sandy beach to fish for the halibut. i arrived to an incoming tide and slight wind with white caps off the coast. i fished the first spot for a while with no bites then decided to get some drive thru lunch and give it a try again. i pulled up to my third spot and sat in my truck to eat my lunch and scan the coast for a bit to find my final fishing spot of the day. As im eating i look out the window and see two guys fully geared up walking the surf and i say to myself.....is that Wingnut... cuz i remember what his surf gear looked like and i saw his 9' carrot stick a mile away...lol so i get out my truck and ask...is that wingnut?? and the other guy responds....no its .." "...i dont remember the name he said but i guess it was funny to them...so we meet and introduce ourselves....it was the halibut legends themselves "Bones and Wingnut"...boy was i excited.. so we talk and chat it up a bit..me and bones were talking bout a spot that we both like and fish offen and me being a rookie butt slayer i was asking lots of questions and showing them what i was using to see if i was on point....i told them that i had not bought a L.C yet because i was scared to lose it and it was expensive..not a minute after saying that Wingnut opens his pack and hands me a brand new limited edition L.C and says here you go....i was in shock:Shocked: and could only raise my hand and thank him... now my tackle pack was complete and i felt just having it in my pack already increased my odds of catching a legal halibut this year...but that wasnt it....after talking with bones about drop shotting i showed bones and wingnut my plastics and asking questions about them.. wingnut then opens his plastic pack and hands me a big hammer swimbait already rigged and says try this color.. i could not thank him enuff..."thanks again Wingnut" so we continued to talk and i continued to pick there brains a bit an after a while they were off to go eat and i was off to fish the last halfhour before i had to pick up my girl.
I didnt end up catching anything because the conditions were wrong for the time i was there but i did meet some new friends, learn more about the spots we fish and got a lucky wingnut edition L.C... now im scared to lose it even more because it was givin to me my MR L.C him self....its probably worth some money....j/k....actually...the girlfriend has the couch and the L.C is sleeping with me..hahahahahaha.....j/k....im gunna scrape all the paint off with the teeth from all the halibuts i catch with it and as i release them im going to whisper thanks wingnut.....
It was a pleasure to meet you Bones and Wingnut.....hopefully i will see you guys again and we can fish together soon..........Fishbones

Wingnut
03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
You're very welcome... pay it forward. :Cool:

Great to meet and chat with you today... nice truck, you should post up a pic of it. Love those tires, I should put a set on the Rover. :Envious:

Hey, I just noticed your "location". We live in the same place. :Big Smile:

Since I didn't do well enough to have my own report, I'll use yours to spread this week's message. :LOL:
This is my bumper sticker. :Cool:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Wingnut%206/Picture011-8.jpg

flyngby
03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
fishbones,

Some Legends are remembered for what they acheive!

True Legends are remenbered for what they achieve and the fact that they are willing to share and help others who might well become legends in the future!

I would say that your day was far from a SKUNK! You happened to be at a spot and have some situational awareness and spot them in the surf,:Bug Eyes: you have 2 new friends, a new Very Limited Edition LC,:Dancing Banana: BH Swimmy, :Thumbs Up:and I sure they overloaded you brain with knowledge!!!!:Tired:

Better think twice about where the GF sleeps tonight or you may never get to try the LC in the near future!!!!:ROFL:

Look forward to a nice Flattie hanging from that LC!!!!:Wink:

Steve

Fishbones
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
You're very welcome... pay it forward. :Cool:

Great to meet and chat with you today... nice truck, you should post up a pic of it.
Love those tires, I should put a set on the Rover. :Envious:

Hey, I just noticed your "location". We live in the same place. :Big Smile:

pay it foward i will.....x10 for sure...:Cool:

theres a pic of it on the thread" who drives a silver chevy with a team 57 sticker on it"..
.but i will post here too:Big Grin:.....i can get you a set for the rover.....:EyePop:

yeah...earth is my home for now....but i plan to travel.....lol:Wink:
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0291.jpg

flyngby
03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Was it "Yuri Sputnik: that bones yelled when you asked if it was Wingnut!:ROFL:

Fishbones
03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
fishbones,

Some Legends are remembered for what they acheive!

True Legends are remembered for what they achieve and the fact that they are willing to share and help others who might well become legends in the future!

I would say that your day was far from a SKUNK! You happened to be at a spot and have some situational awareness and spot them in the surf,:Bug Eyes: you have 2 new friends, a new Very Limited Edition LC,:Dancing Banana: BH Swimmy, :Thumbs Up:and I sure they overloaded you brain with knowledge!!!!:Tired:

Better think twice about where the GF sleeps tonight or you may never get to try the LC in the near future!!!!:ROFL:

Look forward to a nice Flattie hanging from that LC!!!!:Wink:

Steve

i couldnt have said it better than that steve...they are truly legends...:Secret:

yeah the day was great but fishing sucked, got 2 new friends and a brain full of information that wont let me sleep for a week....lol:Shocked:

i thought about it....the L.C went back in the pack.....lol

i hope theres many flatties hanging from it in the near future....:Big Grin:

Alex.........aka.......fishbones

fish_sauce
03-07-2010, 11:12 PM
conditions are not good indeed! I fished the LB area for two hours prior to attending the Fred Hall show, and nothing wanted to come out and play. No baitfish, poor water clarity, lots of floating debris. I expect it to be like this at least for another week or two as the water goes through its algae bloom from all the nutrient run-off from strom drains.

you seem like one heck of a dedicated angler, (salt or fresh) i'm sure we'll be seeing more of your productive reports from the surf soon. But in the mean time, if you do decide to make some money off the limited edition Wingnut L.C., please PM me the Ebay link! LOL. just kidding Arthur! :LOL:

Thanks for the report fishbones!

blackwater
03-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Fishbones, SWAT Captain Flyngby is right. You scored today dude even without any fish. I've had the pleasure of fishing with both Bones and Wingnut, a wealth of knowledge between the two SWAT top brass. I have several Wingnut's limited edition LC's too, they're like trading cards, If i were you, i wouldn't even throw them in the surf. :LOL:
One bit of advice, if you ever see Yuri Sputnik in the surf, RUN!!! :ROFL:

jerryG
03-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Good bit of advice from Blackwater on that Yuri Sputnik tip. Not sure if Bones mentioned this to you but Yuri likes to fish naked so please be careful out there. Luck was definitely on your side today. Fishing with Bones and Wingnut is truly a privilege. As mention by Blackwater they have a wealth of fish fishing knowledge that very few Anglers will ever know. They are generous with their knowledge and always willing to help others. That limited edition LC is a weapon of mass destruction. You can show case it but if I were you I would use it to catch a lot of fish.

Jerryg

CastMan
03-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey guys what's an LC look like anyway?

Fishbones
03-08-2010, 10:57 AM
conditions are not good indeed! I fished the LB area for two hours prior to attending the Fred Hall show, and nothing wanted to come out and play. No baitfish, poor water clarity, lots of floating debris. I expect it to be like this at least for another week or two as the water goes through its algae bloom from all the nutrient run-off from strom drains.

you seem like one heck of a dedicated angler, (salt or fresh) i'm sure we'll be seeing more of your productive reports from the surf soon. But in the mean time, if you do decide to make some money off the limited edition Wingnut L.C., please PM me the Ebay link! LOL. just kidding Arthur! :LOL:

Thanks for the report fishbones!

thanks fish_sauce i am a die hard if theres a puddle on the ground i will have a bait in it fisherman and i know the weather is junk and so will the fishin for the next few...but i dont care...i gotta fish......and the Wingnut limited edition L.C just got signed into my will and passed down for many generations to come.....sorry no ebay here....lol...

Fishbones, SWAT Captain Flyngby is right. You scored today dude even without any fish. I've had the pleasure of fishing with both Bones and Wingnut, a wealth of knowledge between the two SWAT top brass. I have several Wingnut's limited edition LC's too, they're like trading cards, If i were you, i wouldn't even throw them in the surf. :LOL:
One bit of advice, if you ever see Yuri Sputnik in the surf, RUN!!! :ROFL:

lmfao...like trading cards.....mine is the babe ruth then....hahahahaha
they are amazing and had so much info to give and help teach ...i couldnt thank them enuff..
i really hope not to run into yuri spudnik....if i do im gunna snag him in the *** and watch the drag peel off.....hahahahaha hook up...

Good bit of advice from Blackwater on that Yuri Sputnik tip. Not sure if Bones mentioned this to you but Yuri likes to fish naked so please be careful out there. Luck was definitely on your side today. Fishing with Bones and Wingnut is truly a privilege. As mention by Blackwater they have a wealth of fish fishing knowledge that very few Anglers will ever know. They are generous with their knowledge and always willing to help others. That limited edition LC is a weapon of mass destruction. You can show case it but if I were you I would use it to catch a lot of fish.

Jerryg

they are artists of the surf and carry a life time of knowledge thats for sure.
my weapon of mass destruction will be used to catch fish and be show cased its a multi option lure...and i love it...

Hey guys what's an LC look like anyway?
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/Picture006-6.jpg
this is the L.C....

primo55
03-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah those L.C.'s are hard to find...What goes around comes around!! You help out & it will come back to u!

fishinone
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey fishbones,

What color was that Big Hammer?

Good luck with the traveling. BTW, You have to be home for dinner.:LOL:

CastMan
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the pics Fishbones. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there sometime...that is when I get some time! lol By the way I wanted to ask if these lures are light or are they weighted? Shallow diving because of the short lip but I'm wondering if they would be better without the center treble? Hey if they work the way they are why change right? Thanks again bud.

Fishbones
03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah those L.C.'s are hard to find...What goes around comes around!! You help out & it will come back to u!

there really not hard to find...but they are a lil expencive..

Hey fishbones,

What color was that Big Hammer?

Good luck with the traveling. BTW, You have to be home for dinner.:LOL:

it was sardine color......i do travel and fish everywhere...hahahahah.......dinner....its over rated....hahahaha ...must fish....

Thanks for the pics Fishbones. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys out there sometime...that is when I get some time! lol By the way I wanted to ask if these lures are light or are they weighted? Shallow diving because of the short lip but I'm wondering if they would be better without the center treble? Hey if they work the way they are why change right? Thanks again bud.

they are medium weight and specially designed to cast far...and they swim good for the small lip....
the way i look at it is....the more trebles the better....

Jaysuuun
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I talked to Wingnut briefly about the Limited/Japanese LC's. They are difficult to get a hold of. So DONT LOSE IT! LOL

Fishbones
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I talked to Wingnut briefly about the Limited/Japanese LC's. They are difficult to get a hold of. So DONT LOSE IT! LOL

0 thanks ....thats gunna make me feel like flinging it towards a boiler...hahahahahahahah its already been written into my will....LoL....
i actually fished it right after he gave it to me and was shaking while casting it towards the boilers....damn you Wingnut...j/k

CastMan
03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Well I hope that most don't feel that this thread has gone on to long or over talked about but speaking for myself at least I'm excited about these lures that I never knew about and so if you don't mind much I've just gotta ask a couple more questions and then I'll be done with it! lol First does LC stand for Lucky Craft? I went to the website and while I have seen some impressive stuff I have yet to find lures that match what you posted in the picture Fishbones. I'll keep looking!

Second can you tell us what sizes are good and have you ever or do you ever use fish attractant on your lures? I haven't done any fishing up and down the coast for quite a few years now and I'm excited about getting back into it and have been trying to get as much "up to date" knowledge as far as artificial fishing goes as I can since I have discovered some things have indeed changed in my absence!

Fishbones
03-09-2010, 08:02 PM
all you have to do is type in lucky craft lures in the advanced search and go down the page and read away....wingnut is the lucky craft master by the way....

bsp
03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Well I hope that most don't feel that this thread has gone on to long or over talked about but speaking for myself at least I'm excited about these lures that I never knew about and so if you don't mind much I've just gotta ask a couple more questions and then I'll be done with it! lol First does LC stand for Lucky Craft? I went to the website and while I have seen some impressive stuff I have yet to find lures that match what you posted in the picture Fishbones. I'll keep looking!

Second can you tell us what sizes are good and have you ever or do you ever use fish attractant on your lures? I haven't done any fishing up and down the coast for quite a few years now and I'm excited about getting back into it and have been trying to get as much "up to date" knowledge as far as artificial fishing goes as I can since I have discovered some things have indeed changed in my absence!

This article should answer your questions... I learned most of the stuff in there from some of the most talented surf fishermen out there.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41710-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf...

Sorry for the somewhat threadjack fishbones.

To minimize that aspect a bit, congrats on running into bones and Wingnut on the sand. They are definitely great guys who are more than willing to share their knowledge (and lures!), and I know I am a better surf fishermen for the time they have spent, and continue to spend, helping me with my angling. Don't be afraid to toss that special LC in gnarly places. It's an awesome pattern that has resulted in many large flatties, and you have to take a few risks to get the best rewards. The spawn is just around the corner, and you'll find yourself with a new PB on that LC in no time!

CastMan
03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it especially that link you sent me BSP! Awesome info there. Hopefully at some point I'll run into some of you out there, everyone here seems to be pretty cool and from my experience good fishin' buddies are hard to find. Peace everyone.

EL_CHIDO
03-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Anybody try the Robo Saltwater plastics for Hali?

I bought a whole bunch yesterday and will try them out Friday night.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/images/lures/Roboworm/robo_0725.jpg

Ray Lopez
03-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Anybody try the Robo Saltwater plastics for Hali?

I bought a whole bunch yesterday and will try them out Friday night.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/images/lures/Roboworm/robo_0725.jpg

Damn those look really nice good luck with them.

EL_CHIDO
03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Damn those look really nice good luck with them.

The fellows at Sav-On Tackle in Santa Fe Springs even custom painted weighted jig heads for each color to match.
I went to their store yesterday and they were selling 'um at the Fred Hall show for cheap. They haven't even unpacked them for the store so they sold them to me for "show" price.