PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a life jacket for a float tube

jsfre
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Just got my first tube. Hoping to take it out to some local back bays. Will I get tickets if I do not have a life jacket? I have heard mixed things but some people are saying that not only do I need one but that I have to be wearing it and not just dragging it around.

Thanks for any info that someone may have.

fisherman from long beach
03-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Just got my first tube. Hoping to take it out to some local back bays. Will I get tickets if I do not have a life jacket? I have heard mixed things but some people are saying that not only do I need one but that I have to be wearing it and not just dragging it around.

Thanks for any info that someone may have.
you need a life jacket you dont have to have it on but you need it on the tube also you gonna need a whistle so you can make sure boaters know you there.

Fire Ball
03-07-2010, 06:10 PM
You don't have to wear it all the time, but I do. Just make sure you have one with you. Even if it wasn't required, you should still want one with you.

cjmedina
03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
when i got my kayak i had the same question. i just bought a cheap one at walmart and wear it all the time. i dont see the point if i go down what the point of having it if its not on. its not like were on big crafts

yakker
03-08-2010, 05:35 PM
You don't have to wear it all the time, but I do. Just make sure you have one with you. Even if it wasn't required, you should still want one with you.

CJ you should check out the California Kayak Friends, I got mixed up with these people after I bought my first kayak. Dea some epic sailors. good folks. teach you the ropes.

What kind of music you listen to?

yakker
03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
when i got my kayak i had the same question. i just bought a cheap one at walmart and wear it all the time. i dont see the point if i go down what the point of having it if its not on. its not like were on big crafts

sorr jsfre

call it a party foul. yeah you need a lifejacket

Fire Ball
03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
CJ you should check out the California Kayak Friends, I got mixed up with these people after I bought my first kayak. Dea some epic sailors. good folks. teach you the ropes.

What kind of music you listen to?

Did you quote me for an particular reason or just on accident? :LOL:

EL_CHIDO
03-09-2010, 09:21 AM
You should buy one like this, it has pockets which is always good:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10213766____SearchResults

Don't forget the 12" x 12" orange square.

fishtales
03-09-2010, 09:34 PM
An inflatable life jacket is an excellent way to go. When you're wearing it, you won't even know it's there. If you need it, you just pull a rip cord and it inflates. I got mine at West Marine on sale years ago. I've never had to use it and I wouldn't be out there without it, and yes, the law requires you to have one on board.

Fastfish
03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Yes wear a lifejacket get a manual inflatable you'll be glad you did so you don't have to get it on you while your going down God Forbid that ever happens but if it does you'll be glad you have it on.

Fastfish

Jaysuuun
03-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I just picked up a basic orange pfd at walmart for 7 bucks, until I can afford an inflatable type. It's better than nothing. :Cool:

pasadenafishin
03-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Sorry for the thread jack, but i have a question. Do you need to have a PFD if your float tube has Styrofoam inserts?

Fire Ball
03-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Sorry for the thread jack, but i have a question. Do you need to have a PFD if your float tube has Styrofoam inserts?

Yes, you still need a PFD. It is required no matter what.

yakker
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Did you quote me for an particular reason or just on accident? :LOL:

A case of mistaken identity?

ogfishjunky
04-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I have been tubing since the 80’s and I have only had one blow out. I never liked wearing a PFD vest because they are too bulky. I fly fish and have to cast a lot so the bulky vest would get in the way. I used to clip it to a strap on the bow of my tube. A couple of years back I was tubing Pleasant Valley Reservoir which is basically a slow moving river. I heard a hissing sound and started to lose air. I was scared and got even more scared after I saw my Dads face who was on shore. He looked scared and frustrated that he could do nothing to help me. I then remembered I bought a Mustang inflatable PFD before my trip. It was so light I had forgotten that I was wearing it. It instantly put my mind to ease. If it’s good enough for a navy pilot, it is good enough for me. Fortunately I made it to shore before my waders filled to the top and I did not have to use my PFD. I know if I did not make it back to shore before my waders filled up with water and without a proper PFD I would have drowned. I also started wearing a belt after that experience. My waders filled with ice cold water in a matter of seconds and I could not stop shaking. There was no way that I could put my PFD on fast enough before being pulled under. Please buy the best PFD you can afford and wear it at all times when on the water.