PDA

View Full Version : W.f.O

fisherman from long beach
03-07-2010, 02:07 PM
hit up nph this morn since i havent been fishing in about 2 weeks.and also trying to learn and use a conventional reel got the big stinky skunk but WFO birds nest .but oh well.try next weekend.

Newfishsmell
03-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah those damn baitcasters take a while to get use to .
I use to practice in my backyard casting with some small weights , sometimes
easier to learn with more weight then casting something lighter , Good luck .

Thisfool
03-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Yeah those damn baitcasters take a while to get use to .
I use to practice in my backyard casting with some small weights , sometimes
easier to learn with more weight then casting something lighter , Good luck .

Ya they take practice. if you have the kind of bait caster with the magnetic brake or what ever it is (a lil dial on the opposite side of the crank) have that set to the tightest setting and don’t worry about how far you cast just practice stopping the real before the lure hits the water or ground and once you get that down loosen up the magnetic brake and he is right a heavier weight is easier to learn with

murrieta angler
03-07-2010, 03:12 PM
You'll get it Dog!
Even those of us that have been using them for a while, still get birdnests once in a while. It's inevitable!
Robert

Fishbones
03-07-2010, 04:58 PM
keep it up johnny.....you will get it down.......and the skunk has gotten me the last 3 days in a row....so dont feel so bad..

You'll get it Dog!
Even those of us that have been using them for a while, still get birdnests once in a while. It's inevitable!
Robert

......not fishbones.......lol....j/k

flyngby
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I feel for you on the Birds Nest's. When my fire crew bought me a conventional gift I put all of their cell phone #'s in a group text and called every time I got the nest! I spent a lot of time getting the phone out of my pocket!

You will get the equipment down as well as the Harbor bite in no time!

Steve

exfactor
03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
When you start calling them "professional overwinds" your half way there. And, its good practice to learn how to get them out too.

03-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I feel for you on the Birds Nest's. When my fire crew bought me a conventional gift I put all of their cell phone #'s in a group text and called every time I got the nest! I spent a lot of time getting the phone out of my pocket!

You will get the equipment down as well as the Harbor bite in no time!

Stevei have to start somewhere,and i think the conditions in the harbor werent right.wind was blowing pretty good out there,but i think i did pretty good for a rookie.when i got cocky and tried to fling it a lil farther it would set me back about 10 mins trying to get the bird nest out.

BrandonFish
03-08-2010, 04:40 PM
when i got cocky and tried to fling it a lil farther it would set me back about 10 mins trying to get the bird nest out.

lol yea it just takes practice especially throwing lighter jigs

Wormguy
03-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I always kept a comb in my fishing box, perfect practice makes perfect.
The Wormguy

bones
03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Increase your brakes and use heavier lead/lures until you train your thumb to keep the nest up from happening. Practice also with the heaviest line you can get away with. Larger diameter line will not nest up as bad or as fast. When I was learning ..... Just the jump from 10lb trilene to 12lb P-line (green) made a huge difference. A stiffer line with more memory is your friend when learning. It's much easier to pick out.....LOL The LB surfline is a perfect place to dial in your brain to thumb connection. You have pleanty of casting room and no real precise target in open water so you can concentrate on the smooth cast. I always try to brake my bait before it hits the water and now only occasionally nest up when I rely on the reels mechanics rather than my thumb. Remember.....falling short of your target is much better than spending 20 minutes picking out a nest. As you become tuned your thumb will ride ever so lightly on the spinning spool and it will become automatic. Now I can actually feel the line starting to loosen up under the curve of my thumb in the middle of the air and can brake the spool before the bait hit's the water and stop the nest up.When picking out the nests.....DO NOT pull on the line but rather rotate the spool with your thumb in freespool and recover the line as you feed it through the level wind. If you pull on the line you will tighten the nest and make it much harder to pick out. That's when it gets very frustrating and some people give up.

03-08-2010, 06:06 PM
i appreciate all the help thanks fellas

victor101
03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Were u fishing from a dock or from shore? its a little easier to learn when your elevated above the water like on a dock or pier....

Rubble
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
It also helps if you wet your line before casting .....but your still going to get "proffesional overruns"....:LOL:

Check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
It also helps if you wet your line before casting .....but your still going to get "proffesional overruns"....:LOL:

Check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc
a thanks rubble,learned something new.