PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy Crawdads and Do Huddle-bugs Compare?

Fire Ball
03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Where can I buy some crawdads in or near Castaic? I called Gallions and they said that they are out of them right now. I'm interested in trying them out soon. Anyone fish the Huddle-bugs? How do they compare to live crawdads? Thanks.

Ray Lopez
03-07-2010, 06:44 AM
if you get a wildlife adventure pass you can try to catch them up in frenchmans flats. Or go out at night to the lagoon with a spotlight and hit the rocks. you can also make some traps and try to catch them that way. Never used the huddlebugs but they do look pretty good, but there are many other realistic looking plastics that resemble crawdads that are way cheaper.

Fire Ball
03-07-2010, 09:06 AM
if you get a wildlife adventure pass you can try to catch them up in frenchmans flats. Or go out at night to the lagoon with a spotlight and hit the rocks. you can also make some traps and try to catch them that way. Never used the huddlebugs but they do look pretty good, but there are many other realistic looking plastics that resemble crawdads that are way cheaper.

I might try walking around the rocks and looking for them at night, but I probably won't be able to find any, haha. Anyone willing to catch some and sell a couple to me? I haven't seen anything that is even close to how the Huddle-bugs look. Do you know what any of them are called?

bowler
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I might try walking around the rocks and looking for them at night, but I probably won't be able to find any, haha. Anyone willing to catch some and sell a couple to me? I haven't seen anything that is even close to how the Huddle-bugs look. Do you know what any of them are called?
Goto Sport Chalet they will sometime a Crawdads for sell there. At least i know the one by my house does.

Fire Ball
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Goto Sport Chalet they will sometime a Crawdads for sell there. At least i know the one by my house does.

I'm pretty sure the Sport Chalet by my house doesn't sell them anymore, but I should probably call and ask.

Socal Bassman
03-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Like any artificial bait, the Huddle Bug will work. But it's also no comparison to the real thing. I've dropshotted the weightless ones with some success.

Hometown
03-09-2010, 04:30 PM
bobs fishing tackle innorwalk usually has them but its good to call ahead and order.But Ive heard you can go to asian markets an ask them to order some small crawdads as most they sell to eat are to large for bait and the price is alot cheaper like 4 or 5 bucks a pound at bobs I think they run $8.50 per dozen

Fire Ball
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
bobs fishing tackle innorwalk usually has them but its good to call ahead and order.But Ive heard you can go to asian markets an ask them to order some small crawdads as most they sell to eat are to large for bait and the price is alot cheaper like 4 or 5 bucks a pound at bobs I think they run $8.50 per dozen

Bob's Fishing Tackle is too far away for me. I might try going to the Asian Markets to buy some. How big do I want them? Maybe I will just wait until Gallions gets some more.. Thanks.

Ray Lopez
03-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Bob's Fishing Tackle is too far away for me. I might try going to the Asian Markets to buy some. How big do I want them? Maybe I will just wait until Gallions gets some more.. Thanks.

you gotta match the hatch. Try bringing a spot light with you to the lagoon and search the rocks.

MIKE Q
03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
You might want to try Rainbow Bait Shop in Compton ($6 dozen) or Tropical Fish in Pasadena ($2 a Crawdad). I have also had some luck using the Yum Crawbug on the upper lake at Castaic. Good luck and keep up those great post Fireball. Ray, again thank you for being helpful in the past and I hope I get to fish with you guys (Fireball) on March 20th.

Fire Ball
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
You might want to try Rainbow Bait Shop in Compton ($6 dozen) or Tropical Fish in Pasadena ($2 a Crawdad). I have also had some luck using the Yum Crawbug on the upper lake at Castaic. Good luck and keep up those great post Fireball. Ray, again thank you for being helpful in the past and I hope I get to fish with you guys (Fireball) on March 20th.

I will skip going to the place in Compton, haha. The ones in Pasadena are too expensive and I can see why. They are selling them for fish tanks! I am either going to go to an Asian market, wait until Gallions gets more (easiest way), or just catch them myself (hardest way). I might try those CrawBugs. I saw them at Walmart on clearance. You are going on the 20th? Cool, hopefully I will see you there.

MIKE Q
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I'm going to try and make it out there to fish with you guys. Hopefully, I can learn some new tricks and get some good advice from you guys. I'm new to the lagoon and still a rookie. Haha, I usually stick to fishing the upper lake off of my buddies boat with some success.

Fire Ball
03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I'm going to try and make it out there to fish with you guys. Hopefully, I can learn some new tricks and get some good advice from you guys. I'm new to the lagoon and still a rookie. Haha, I usually stick to fishing the upper lake off of my buddies boat with some success.

Nice. I can fish the Upper Lake and catch fish, but I just don't do as well up there. I have more time at the Lagoon, so that is why I do better than if I go to the Upper Lake.

Agro
04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I caught a few of them today, but nothing in mass numbers yet. Set a couple more traps out in a different area, maybe they'll be loaded tomorrow.

How are you guys rigging these things? Mosquito hook through the nose?

bowler
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I went the other day to one of four creeks by my wife house that has crayfish here is my caught from the other day.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs402.snc3/24369_380000943854_181886983854_3927738_1496422_n. jpg

JSAUCE818
04-06-2010, 06:59 AM
My buddy has them,
http://www.sylmarpets.com/

He has a whole aquarium of them. His name is Bryce.

MIKE Q
04-06-2010, 08:08 AM
My buddy has them,
http://www.sylmarpets.com/

He has a whole aquarium of them. His name is Bryce. Cool thanks for the advice JSAUCE.