PDA

View Full Version : Glen Helen Friday 3/5

Cartman
03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Glen Helen got stocked Thursday but hadn't been stocked for two weeks. Predictably there was a line at opening. I think a lot of the people went to the small lake. I have never seen the small lake. I imagine it to be like a concrete pool. The big lake it very scenic and natural looking. Anyway, the bit was SLOW. I suspect the trout were in shock. They had just been flushed through a hose into the lake the day before, and there were a lot of lines in the water to freak them out. It got a little better in the afternoon, but loads of people trudged off skunked long befoe closing. I ended up with three grill size trouts I caught drop shotting plastics (orange/ yellow and pearl powerbait micro numphs and bubblegum gulp worm).

I saw carp jumping around, so I put in a line with a treble hook and some commercially prepared carp bait (sweet corn flavor) trying various distances from shore, like three feet to about 12 feet, but nothing happened. Also tried balling up some bread from my sandwich. That stayed on the hook better than I had thought it would, but still no bites.

It was a beautiful day for fishing at Glen Helen yesterday...just a so-so day for catching....at least for me.

BrandonFish
03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
yea that park is a great lookn park sloooow at guasti for the jiggers not for the baiters but i think they were still in shock
lol ya the small lake looks just like that the water there is usually really murky but some how the fish still take the jig when they want it.
nice report how were the trout on the grill?

Cartman
03-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Oh yeah, they were fine. Two medium and one small. My wife and I devoured them. It was raining, though, so they didn't make it to the grill. Cooked them in the oven with butter and lemon juice and garlic and paprika. Was good, but it always takes longer than the recipes say. I want my fish flakey, not mushy. Anyway, some of the fish at Glen Helen have that oily pink flesh like salmon that you also find at Jess Ranch Lakes.

Swank909
03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I was walking the lake that friday, first time there. Like 3/4 of the fisherman were skunked when i asked. In my experience Mt. Lassen trout rarely bite the next day, i like to go on the sunday after a Lassen stock for my limit (they're the pink meat ones you were talking about). Calaveras stocked trout usually bite the same day

Cartman
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I think the bite should be better after a few days. Does that lake get hit hard on weekends? I really like fishing there. It's not too far from my house in Pasadena, not too expensive, and it's a real pretty lake.

BrandonFish
03-11-2010, 07:44 PM
bite is usally guranteed limit if not more mushy is no good lol