PDA

View Full Version : Halibut hunting off p.c.h

Fishbones
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I was in the neighborhood off the coast and decided to hit up one of my halibut spots
for a couple hours. I got there at 12:00 noon and it was a beautiful day but with a
little bit ....well alot of wind which caused alot of current on the shoreline and made it impossible to fish.
I tried with the plastics and L.Cs and still it was impossible to fish with any kind of bait
without a huge sinker on it. I still gave it a try and could not even get it to the money
spot. After about 2 hours of gail force winds and enuff salt water spray to coat me
twice i called it a day with out a bite and lots of current and kelp and sea grass i figured
theres always another day. I did stay around for a while to watch the wind surfers and
kite surfers tear it up with lots of flips and crazy tricks that were really awesome.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0108.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_01062.jpg
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_0107.jpg
After i finished drying off and heating up in my truck i headed home with the salt skunk
of the day. But i will return and i will be back to hook, fight and land that monster halibut
that i lost a few months back......NEVER GIVE UP!!!!.............Fishbones

nsluggs
03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
nice story. what is a l.c.? i've been salt skunked for the past 3 months :No Pity::Skunk: but like u say i will never give up! though its getting discouraging..

Fishbones
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
nice story. what is a l.c.? i've been salt skunked for the past 3 months :No Pity::Skunk: but like u say i will never give up! though its getting discouraging..

Only the best surf fishing lure out there that will slay the halibut......talk to wingnut about them.....hes got a couple.....lol
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/Picture006-6.jpg

islandguy2
03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I know you dont want to give up your spots, but what city is this close to on pch , cuz it looks great, the waves are all shorebreak, great to cast over.. thx, fellow hali hunter

Fishbones
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
No worries bro....just take the fwy till you see sand and your there....my hook up ratio there isnt that high....

but its close to where my girl works and so i hit it up every now and then

its a tuff spot to fish because of all the surfers and the always changing conditions....

good luck.....fishbones

DockRat
03-04-2010, 06:50 AM
No worries bro....its off p.c.h in Laguna....my hook up ratio there isnt that high....

but its close to where my girl works and so i hit it up every now and then

its a tuff spot to fish because of all the surfers and the always changing conditions....

good luck.....fishbones

Need a spot around MDR where you can get the wind at your back.
In LB at the Queen Mary public fishing spot you can have the wind at your back on blown out days and cast real far.

DR

Stephen
03-04-2010, 10:10 AM

LC is the acronym for Lucky Craft.
Look for Lucky Craft lures, the silver blue is EXCELLENT for halibut.

Daiwa and Rapala have similar lures.

fisherman from long beach
03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
LC is the acronym for Lucky Craft.
Look for Lucky Craft lures, the silver blue is EXCELLENT for halibut.

Daiwa and Rapala have similar lures.

whats the diffrence between l.c ,daiwas and rapala,besides the price?

nsluggs
03-04-2010, 12:44 PM
thanks for the explantion guys. i'll pick one of these up soon and try to hook my first halibut! hopefully. just started fishing bout 6 months ago and cant get enough of it even though i skunk most of the time :Embarrassed: but this site sooo helpful its the beeeeeeeeeeeest. love it!

murrieta angler
03-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Way to get out there Fishbones,
I've been out a couple of times the last couple of weeks and was skunked. In fact I went yesterday, but the 12-15 ft waves just killed it for me.
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert

Wingnut
03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
You're right about one thing... "Never give up!" :Cool:
That's a decent spot to fish in flat conditions. Always best when there's no surfers out there... :Wink:

Fishbones
03-04-2010, 07:24 PM
whats the diffrence between l.c ,daiwas and rapala,besides the price?

research and developement along with quality and design.....nothing beats the LC

thanks for the explantion guys. i'll pick one of these up soon and try to hook my first halibut! hopefully. just started fishing bout 6 months ago and cant get enough of it even though i skunk most of the time :Embarrassed: but this site sooo helpful its the beeeeeeeeeeeest. love it!

just keep at it and never give up....with that and all the help on this site, im sure you will be posting some pics real soon.....goodluck.

Way to get out there Fishbones,

I've been out a couple of times the last couple of weeks and was skunked. In fact I went yesterday, but the 12-15 ft waves just killed it for me.
Robert

yeah it was real tuff to fish the spots lately but it beats work or sitting at home.

Fishbones
03-04-2010, 07:27 PM
You're right about one thing... "Never give up!" :Cool:
That's a decent spot to fish in flat conditions. Always best when there's no surfers out there... :Wink:

thats gotta be the saying....NEVER GIVE UP....no surfers there....when is that?...cuz there always there... damn hippies keepin me from fishin the spot....lol

bones
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
thats gotta be the saying....NEVER GIVE UP....no surfers there....when is that?...cuz there always there... damn hippies keepin me from fishin the spot....lol

Hey....I used to be one of those hippies....LOL

Kewl report dude, Keep pluggin away and it WILL PAY.Don't worry.....happy times are just around the corner.

Fishbones
03-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey....I used to be one of those hippies....LOL

Kewl report dude, Keep pluggin away and it WILL PAY.Don't worry.....happy times are just around the corner.

hahahahahaha me too.....lol ...thanks bones i know it will....

DockRat
03-05-2010, 06:36 AM
In fact I went yesterday, but the 12-15 ft waves just killed it for me.
Robert

12' to 15' I'm calling BS on that !

DR

keepemlo
03-05-2010, 01:40 PM
With 40 years fishn I've discoved that the best part
Is the prep looking at a spot testn 4 its fishiness tunen all your senses
At each cast the actual battle .true is a reward.but half the time you know when u should b
Bit there's so much more 2 fishn than fish let's face it we know where 2 buy fish

islandguy2
03-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Thats so true, Ive been skunked the last five times out, lost some good lures , and fell on pelican ****, but I still have dreams about fighting a halbut, or hearing the spool get taken out when u got a fish on....I love just being out there..cant wait for the next time.haha

Fishbones
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
With 40 years fishn I've discoved that the best part
Is the prep looking at a spot testn 4 its fishiness tunen all your senses
At each cast the actual battle .true is a reward.but half the time you know when u should b
Bit there's so much more 2 fishn than fish let's face it we know where 2 buy fish

Thats so true, Ive been skunked the last five times out, lost some good lures , and fell on pelican ****, but I still have dreams about fighting a halbut, or hearing the spool get taken out when u got a fish on....I love just being out there..cant wait for the next time.haha

you guys have the right attitude and i thing it will be rewarded eventually....NEVER GIVE UP.......fishbones

klocked
03-05-2010, 08:39 PM
You'll get em next time. The right conditions are just around the corner!
I apologize for jumping onto Dockrats derail without 1st replying to your report.

flyngby
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
FB,

Always a better day on the water than a day of work! You have the right attitude!

Nice arsenal of factory tuned LC's!!!

Your day will come!!!!!!

Steve

Fishbones
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
FB,

Always a better day on the water than a day of work! You have the right attitude!

Nice arsenal of factory tuned LC's!!!

Your day will come!!!!!!

Steve

Thats for sure.....

That is a pic of wingnuts LC collection....i used it to show nsluggs what a LC was......i wish i owned that many....lol

i am patient with the halibut gods......havnt got a legal this year yet....i know it will come...