PDA

View Full Version : gulp jerk shad?

E.A.R.G.
03-02-2010, 07:12 PM
hey guys, was wondering how you guys were having the best luck fishing the jerk shads?
Does a simple slow retrieve work with these guys like normal BH or FT swimbaits?
thanks

Jackpot Jimmy
03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I have had incredible luck on Gulp jerk shads. They work on both the retrieve and on the sink. I prefer to fish them on a lighter leadhead because they will sink slower for a better presentation. I also like to fish them for summer twilights while fishing stones for sand bass. However, you will catch more short calicos and short barracuda along the kelp line than legals, but more often than not you will get a fish every cast.

cappo
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Drop shot them in the bays, its killer for bass and halis. I also use them when rockfishing. Beats going to the bait tanks all the time.

fisherman from long beach
03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
i also like to drop shot them in the bays also lead head and work them twitch here twitch there slow retrieve killer on the spotties.

fishtales
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
What about Gulp white shrimp? Anyone use those with success?

Surf fishing or in the bays?

Thanks,

FT

03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
What about Gulp white shrimp? Anyone use those with success?

Surf fishing or in the bays?

Thanks,

FT

ive used the new penny,and the new molt.not as good as the gulp alive shad.

Cangler
03-03-2010, 08:09 AM
There really good for fishing kelp lines , though as Jimmy says they pick up an aweful lot of shorts.

On the shore , i use Gulp! swimming minnows , watermelon colour for BSP and YFC

RUSSO
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Jerk Shads will get bit no matter how you fish them. I use 1/4 or 3/8 darter head. Bounce it, twitch it, hell, it will get bit just laying on the bottom. My favorite colors are Camo, Lime Tiger, and Bloody.

Cangler
03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
One thing i've learnt , if the sea dogs are active and stealing dines from hooks , your better off using the plastics

bones
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm kinda up in the air on the "gulp" thing. I think that for the cost.....They are a pain in the azzzz. First of all the packages are a real pain to open. You have to use scissors to make a clean cut if you want ANY hope to re-close the package. Gulp HAS to work on that. Second.......The quality control as far as the markings on the baits really sucks!
Some shads are almost completely black and some are almost all white not to mention the tails are not clean with alot of rough edges.For the price you pay....There shouldn't be a QC issue with either the packaging or the baits IMHO. I like to dropshot alot and it seems like the baits always slide on the hooks after getting soaked in the saltwater for a while. I don't suppose that is a problem if you are getting slammed immediatly but more often than not I found myself not using every bait in the package because I didn't like the way some of them looked or I was throwing alot of baits away because they kept sliding on the hooks. I do like using them in the harbors though because that nasty "Gulp juice" that we all love so much seems to keep them coming back. I definately stopped using them in the surf though. Just not durable enough for the surfline. Did catch my PB corbina (23")at dana point though on a gulp jerk shad while dropshotting in a trough for halibut.

murrieta angler
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I use them and they seem to work well from the surf also. As for the shrimp, I've used them in the harbors from my boat and have caught hali's, bass and even small barracuda.
Robert

murrieta angler
03-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm kinda up in the air on the "gulp" thing. I think that for the cost.....They are a pain in the azzzz. First of all the packages are a real pain to open. You have to use scissors to make a clean cut if you want ANY hope to re-close the package. Gulp HAS to work on that. Second.......The quality control as far as the markings on the baits really sucks!
Some shads are almost completely black and some are almost all white not to mention the tails are not clean with alot of rough edges.For the price you pay....There shouldn't be a QC issue with either the packaging or the baits IMHO. I like to dropshot alot and it seems like the baits always slide on the hooks after getting soaked in the saltwater for a while. I don't suppose that is a problem if you are getting slammed immediatly but more often than not I found myself not using every bait in the package because I didn't like the way some of them looked or I was throwing alot of baits away because they kept sliding on the hooks. I do like using them in the harbors though because that nasty "Gulp juice" that we all love so much seems to keep them coming back. I definately stopped using them in the surf though. Just not durable enough for the surfline. Did catch my PB corbina (23")at dana point though on a gulp jerk shad while dropshotting in a trough for halibut.

I put them in a baggie, that way they stay fresh and you don't have to worry about sealing the original packaging back up.
Robert

E.A.R.G.
03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
thanks a million to all you guys! I've got a lot of useful input from everyone.

I do mostly harbor fishing at night, king harbor at around 10pm -2 am or so. Whenever I can fit in a couple hours. I got bored of mackerel in the past few weeks and I've had some luck on a 3 inch shrimp gulp on a 1/4 jig head.

Anything specific for night time harbor fishing? Or King Harbor in particular?

THANKS AGAIN. you guys are all awesome
EARG

03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks a million to all you guys! I've got a lot of useful input from everyone.

I do mostly harbor fishing at night, king harbor at around 10pm -2 am or so. Whenever I can fit in a couple hours. I got bored of mackerel in the past few weeks and I've had some luck on a 3 inch shrimp gulp on a 1/4 jig head.

Anything specific for night time harbor fishing? Or King Harbor in particular?

THANKS AGAIN. you guys are all awesome
EARGi was in king harbor about 2-3 weeks ago,theres bonito and barracuda running with those macs.

WormFisher
03-04-2010, 01:48 PM
what size hook do you use to Drop shot them with? Do you nose hook it like LMB or thread it on?