PDA

View Full Version : Sand Crab questions

City Dad
07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
I've noticed a huge difference between the size and amount of sandcrabs from beach to beach - some beaches are litteraly crawling with big, crabs full of roe while other beaches have just a scattering of pea-sized critters. Anyone here an expert on sandcrab behavior, movement, spawning, etc.?

Do these things have a "spawning season"? Do they migrate in anyway?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

valhalla_1_2000
07-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Are you writing an article for National Geographic or something? Why don't you just watch the Discovery Channel or Animal Planet for a couple days, they're bound to have something on sand crabs.

rusty6
07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
going on with the sand crab question, is there any good way to keep them alive over night in case one wanted to use sand crabs that are abundant at one beach to a beach that has few?

halijedi
07-12-2007, 04:53 PM
going on with the sand crab question, is there any good way to keep them alive over night in case one wanted to use sand crabs that are abundant at one beach to a beach that has few?

Simply put them on in a container with moist paper towel on the bottom. They will stay alive for days. Keep them in a cool area.

halijedi
07-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I've noticed a huge difference between the size and amount of sandcrabs from beach to beach - some beaches are litteraly crawling with big, crabs full of roe while other beaches have just a scattering of pea-sized critters. Anyone here an expert on sandcrab behavior, movement, spawning, etc.?

Do these things have a "spawning season"? Do they migrate in anyway?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mating occurs mostly in spring and summer. A female may produce as many as 45,000 eggs. She carries them on her abdomen until the eggs hatch; about 30 days later. For two to four months, the larvae drift as plankton, and currents may carry them long distances. Sand crabs can reproduce during their first year of life, depending on the water temperature, and may not live more than two to three years.

olfishergal
07-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Are you writing an article for National Geographic or something? Why don't you just watch the Discovery Channel or Animal Planet for a couple days, they're bound to have something on sand crabs.

I'm sorry, but that was rude and uncalled for. enough said.
:evil: :evil:
I for one appreciate the information sharing. I know wet papertowels keep them alive in a cool place. I always seem to have the most trouble finding the bigger ones. Are they way deep? Or are there signs when bigger ones are about?

hakaveli
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM

I'm sorry, but that was rude and uncalled for. enough said.
:evil: :evil:
I for one appreciate the information sharing. I know wet papertowels keep them alive in a cool place. I always seem to have the most trouble finding the bigger ones. Are they way deep? Or are there signs when bigger ones are about?

it seems i have to dig atleast 6 inches down to get some really big ones

olfishergal
07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
thanks for the info. Have you noticed that some beaches have bigger ones than others? Just wondering if u ever see a trend.

sansou
07-12-2007, 05:47 PM
The only thing I have noticed is that steeper sloped beaches seem to have less beds, which kinda makes sense. In addition, if you find you're having to dig super deep for them, you may wish to try finding a bed closer to where the water regularly washes up.

City Dad: do you think you're crab pattern is susceptible to being fished with a real small clear bubble filled with water and a fluoro leader on a spinning outfit? I bet it can be done, although it kinda takes away the fun of flyfishing it!

City Dad
07-12-2007, 07:26 PM
The only thing I have noticed is that steeper sloped beaches seem to have less beds, which kinda makes sense. In addition, if you find you're having to dig super deep for them, you may wish to try finding a bed closer to where the water regularly washes up.

City Dad: do you think you're crab pattern is susceptible to being fished with a real small clear bubble filled with water and a fluoro leader on a spinning outfit? I bet it can be done, although it kinda takes away the fun of flyfishing it!

Yeah! I think that might be the best way to fish them actually. I think they could have used a bit more weight (so halijedi, paintfish, you guys might want to add a split-shot or two to those things.) Haven't had much time at the bench lately, but I've got some silicon sealer that I think would make a much better, or at least softer shell. The last ones I tied had shells of a UV curing knot dressing and it was sort of hard-ish. I've also got some barbell-style eyes which should do a better job getting them down in the surf. Will post pics for any one who wants some flies as soon as I have some good ones.

Once again, thanks for all the tips folks.

BishopTrouter
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
well i also have a question.... i usually fish w/ one big hardshell SC when i go surf fishing and i rarely find something w/ a softshell, the ones i did find were uber small. does it really matter? i still catch fish here and there on the big hardshells.

servant joe
07-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Hello CityDad,
I went to Doheny State Beach, about a mile from Dana Point. We found a bunch of sandcrab beds there. They are as big as the nickels. They have parking along PCH 1, walk over the bridge, and go on the beach side. Bring something with you to put them in.
Have fun fishing and God bless,
I believe in sharing info. too.
servantjoe

valhalla_1_2000
07-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Fascinating information, thanks to all. Now I'm going to totally plagiarize this information for a freelance article I send into National Geographic on the life cycle and mating patterns of sand crabs. This is gonna make big bucks, and no, I'm not sharing my royalties from the article with any of you.

halijedi
07-14-2007, 12:47 AM

Yeah! I think that might be the best way to fish them actually. I think they could have used a bit more weight (so halijedi, paintfish, you guys might want to add a split-shot or two to those things.) Haven't had much time at the bench lately, but I've got some silicon sealer that I think would make a much better, or at least softer shell. The last ones I tied had shells of a UV curing knot dressing and it was sort of hard-ish. I've also got some barbell-style eyes which should do a better job getting them down in the surf. Will post pics for any one who wants some flies as soon as I have some good ones.

Once again, thanks for all the tips folks.

I still have the flies you've sent me. I haven't tested them yet as I have been busy with LMB fishing, but I will test them out shortly. I STRONGLY recommend using 6 or 5# test as main line (although I've used mono in the past, I've noticed I get better hook penetration while using fluorocarbon as main line). As for the leader, a 3-4' 4-6# fluorocarbon leader is best.

The rig I use 99% of the time is a finesse Carolina Rig with a tiny swivel and a #10 or #12 Caddis hook. Owner Mosquito hooks are decent, but I've had these light wire hooks straighten out on me several times.

Use the lightest sinker possible. A 1/8 -1/4oz. egg sinker is fine. However, I like to get fancy and use a smaller profile tungsten sinker (less line abrasion).