PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Fish

bowler
03-02-2010, 01:17 AM

Can anybody tell me what type of fish this is.

Fishbones
03-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Looks like a snakehead....if it is.....thats not good.....those things can destroy a lake and spread like wild fires....

bowler
03-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Looks like a snakehead....if it is.....thats not good.....those things can destroy a lake and spread like wild fires....
I got it 5 years ago out of the pond on Grand Ave. in West Covina

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
03-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Can anybody tell me what type of fish this is.
it's a dictfor....

Fire Ball
03-02-2010, 09:21 AM

It does look like a snakehead... Not good if it is. I watched a show on them a few months ago and how much of a problem they were in the Northeastern states...

bowler
03-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I e-mail the picture over to the DFG and i hope to hear from them soon.

fishboy93
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Thats definately a snakehead. If that thing reproduces say goodbye to any life in the lake it was caught. Not a good thing!!

nsluggs
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
did u eat it?

bowler
03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
no i did not eat it. I put in the trash can.

IncredibleHuck
03-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Yep! Looks like a snakehead fish to me....

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/images/freshwater_fishing/cheow_lan/giant_snakehead_5.jpg

bowler
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
So when was the first snakehead caught on the east coast does anybody know. Because i got my snakehead in 2001 or 2002 i am not to sure what year it was.

DarkShadow
03-03-2010, 07:51 AM

Aww, u missed out. Those things are tasty.

Bass Attack
03-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Never seen that fish before, but when they get big they sure do look wild! Are they edible? Not that I'd want to run into one or anything considering that bad rap and history they have.

Fishinnut
03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
I really hope no Idiot has introduced this fish to our local waters!!! Although at first we may not feel the direct effect this species is having on our fish habitat; our kids (next generation of fisherman) and there kids could be in for a battle to save the indigenous species that we have. I watched the Discovery Channel special with my kids that they had on this fish and it's a beast, they will eat everything they come across and grow extremely large fast. If I catch one I will definitely kill it and if I see someone planting one, let's just say I'll make you famous.

ToadsToadsOnly
03-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I got it 5 years ago out of the pond on Grand Ave. in West Covina

To bad I heard that lake used to be pretty good spot to fish probably one of the people that live in the surrounding area had one in their fish tank and set him free.

sansou
03-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Let me understand the facts correctly:

1. You catch a fish which you cannot identify.
2. You take a pic of it.
3. You throw the unidentified fish in a trash can, rather than C&R or consume it or make any other beneficial use.
4. You ostensibly report that you caught a snakehead to the DFG 5 years later, after posting a pic of it on a message board.
5. In a previous post, you make sure everyone knows you are in the process of becoming a Forest Ranger.

I am without further words at this moment....

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
03-03-2010, 05:22 PM

2. You take a pic of it.
3. You throw the unidentified fish in a trash can, rather than C&R or consume it or make any other beneficial use.
4. You ostensibly report that you caught a snakehead to the DFG 5 years later, after posting a pic of it on a message board.
5. In a previous post, you make sure everyone knows you are in the process of becoming a Forest Ranger.

damn, pure comedy.....you are the sienfeld of fnn...

breeze71
03-03-2010, 05:26 PM

2. You take a pic of it.

I luuuuvvv riddles!

What is a..."poacher looking for recognition of PRO status from fishermen" ???

bowler
03-03-2010, 05:47 PM

2. You take a pic of it.

I know that fish did not belong in there so i took it out. And as i said i took the fish to Turners and they did not know what it was either. And why would i put back a fish that looks like that.

Ifishtoolittle
03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Maybe this snakehead thing amy not be a bad thing. I mean yes it will kill off our gamefish, but the snakehead is a very agressive fish so fishing with reaction baits would be really fun.

sansou
03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Ding!

Fries are done...

Ray Lopez
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
it's a dictfor....

lol whats a dictfor bwhahahahahahahaha classic.....

DarkShadow
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
And why would i put back a fish that looks like that.

I feel sorry if you ever hook an unsuspecting Blobfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blobfish) (Psychrolutes marcidus):

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/scienceray/2008/07/01/201653_22.jpg

That thing'll end up in your garbage disposal before the biologists at Turners can identify it.

EastCoaster
03-03-2010, 09:25 PM
That is def a snakehead. I am from MD and we were one of the places that got hit with the so-called snakehead outbreak. I have personally never seen one but know people that were catching them. Throw them out, those things will kill every fish in the lake, and they can walk on land, so they move to the next source of water. I read while still in MD that they believe a asian heritage(sorry dont know there exact origin so didnt want to make anyone mad) person put the snakehead in the water. Apparently its some kind of ritual that if someone is sick they purchase a live snakehead and do something with it, but if people the ritual is complete the person survies or recovers then you must release the fish in the wild, and thats how it all started in MD. And yes it was in the 2001-2002 time frame