PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rod tips

bluehunter
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I have a few medium action rods that the tip is broken on. I kinda like the rods and do not want to just toss them so I am looking to replace the tips. One tip was broke by me slamming the door on it, and the other tip was broke by a cut actually going through the tip when I was fighting a fish. Actually the result of a faulty tip with the pressure of 30 pound test mono the line sliced thru the tip like a knife cutting butter.

Any recommendations in and around Los Angeles and the south bay where I could get someone to replace the tips. I will still use them for channels and such but not for my big game flatheads or blues. Thanks in advance.

blackberg
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
any of the local rod building shops should be able to do them, there is one in Bellflower and one near the Redondo Turners that I cant remember the names of right now.

I usually do min myself though, by the tips at BPS or a local shop and use the tip glue and a lighter and they are good to go
-bb

rufustf
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I have two recommendations. Both are first hand.

#1 get the rod tip repair kit. I got mine at either big 5 or sport chalet. Comes with two tips and a glue stick, supply your own lighter/BBQ torch. It's cheap, and works great, maybe even better than what was on there before. Just be sure to clean &/or cut the tip for a nice clean surface on the rod itself. Oh, and be sure to line up your eyelets right!

#2 Go to joy tackle on Santa Monica Blvd. (E. Hollywood little Russia area). They fixed my 8' fly rod tip while I waited & only charged me for the part. (My girlfriend broke the top 5" off with a shed door. An accident, but, grrrrrrrrrr).

Anyway, don't trash those rods, a broken tip is an easy fix.

bluehunter
03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks fellas.

lowe
03-02-2010, 12:10 PM
You can try good fishing tackle shop on roscrans and inglewood ave. or my favorite on repairing shop for rod is on redondo beach blvd and prarie ave,sorry I don't have the address ..lo

bluehunter
03-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks Lowe those are just around the way from me.

fishinone
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Fixing rod tips is really easy. You can get average size tips at any fishing tackle store or department. If you need something special the tackle shops have them.

I've done a lot of them and I prefer to use 5 minute epoxy rather than the hot glue that comes with the tips. The sun can actually melt the hot glue, especially in the car.

If there's a tip on it, use a lighter to heat the existing tip. It doesn't take much heat.

Use pliers or gloves to pull it off.

Leave any thread wrap in place. You don't really need the thread wrap if it is gone. It's just easier to make it look nice if you leave what is there.

Choose the tip that's fits the end of the pole well. Dry fit it. If it doesn't slide all the way back against the thread, trim the end of the pole so that it does.

Use a toothpick or small wire tie to mix up a little 5 minute epoxy.

Use the toothpick or small wire tie to put "a little" epoxy, just wet it, on the tip of the pole. and inside the tip.

Slide the tip on wipe off any excess glue and line the tip up with the eyes.

Set it aside so that it stays lined up and wait 5 minutes.

I keep spare tips in my tackle box. I use the hot glue when I'm fishing then replace it later with 5 minute.

AmBASSador
03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Longfin Tackle in Orange, CA. They have replaced a tip on my swimbait rod and it works perfect.

jonnyfishon
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
i know that last chance bait and tackle in hemet will fix broken rod tips for 5 bucks

bluehunter
03-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Great tips fellas. Thanks.