PDA

View Full Version : Tri city park.....killed the trout

Fishbones
02-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I decided to stop by Tri City Park for a minute after meeting up with richarron to grab a
box full of hard baits and some plastics, thanks for the sweet deal rich.
I had sometime to burn up before meeting up with flyforfish21 to buy some tackle again..lol
so i thought i would give it a try because ive never fished there before.
I arrived there around 11:00am unloaded my gear and walked half the lake talkin
with fisherman and looking for a spot to set up on.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_00922.jpg
While i was walking the lake i couldnt help to notice there was dead trout all through out the
lakes shore. I belive these trout did not make the transfer from truck to lake and died from
shock of water temperature. Kinda sucks cuz these trout would have lived in a deeper lake
and seems like a waste.
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_00932.jpg
I ended up leaving and not even setting up or fishing the lake because i had to meet up with
flyforfish21to grab a bass pro shop bag full of plastics "great deal" thanks again Geoff and it
was nice meeting you.
Along my walk back to the truck i came across a family of turtles just sunning it up and
enjoying there day
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_00942.jpg
Over all i liked the park minus the entire shore full of dead trout, i see potential in this lake and
from the pics ive seen from richarron, it has some piggies in it so i will be back to wet a line for sure.......Fishbones

Fire Ball
02-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I thought you were addicted! How come you didn't fish!??

blackberg
02-28-2010, 09:49 PM
recovering addict?

-bb

Fishbones
02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I thought you were addicted! How come you didn't fish!??

recovering addict?-bb

it was only to burn time and i didnt have my bass gear...just a plain ol trout rod in the truck..

and i am an fishing addict...i am i am....lol

carpanglerdude
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Love the turtle pic :)

Fishbones
02-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Holly sh*t....i just noticed the dead bird in the water next to the turtles....

that was the second one i saw while my time there....dang....

vanillagurilla
03-01-2010, 07:46 AM
the trout didnt die from the transfer. i was there saturday ( we slayed the trout), and on sunday the 2 big schools we were fishing were GONE lol. all the trout i seen floating or dying were all marked up from the birds. on saturday i seen about 30 comorants on shore. i think they just got raped over night.

Fishbones
03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
the trout didnt die from the transfer. i was there saturday ( we slayed the trout), and on sunday the 2 big schools we were fishing were GONE lol. all the trout i seen floating or dying were all marked up from the birds. on saturday i seen about 30 comorants on shore. i think they just got raped over night.

I didnt think of that only because there was only like a dozen cormarants while i was there....and the dead trout were all over the lake.....it was weird!!

georgia_brown
03-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Where do these cormorants stay when they're not eating our trout?

BrandonFish
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
the river bed..lol I use to ride my bike in the river bed in summer almost every day allways seen them lined up on some kinda bridge near the jeti every one i passed fulll of comorants

vanillagurilla
03-01-2010, 01:20 PM
next time look up in the eucalyptus trees fishbones. there in every tree lol. i was there today fishing carp. i got 2 around 10lbs and another guy got a 18-20lb fish and another 10lber. they were playing with the bait alot today.

Marley
03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Wow, that's too bad about all those trout. I live very close to Tri City Park and used to fish it a lot. It turned sour when they "cleaned" out all the lilly pads and vegetation years ago. There is a huge bird problem there, and its not only cormorants. Lots of geese and coots and the resulting goose and coot shiznit in the water ultimately causes depletion of the water's oxygen.
Still, a decent place to fish for catfish.

vanillagurilla
03-01-2010, 02:38 PM
carp too! lol. theres a goose that follows my buddy lary around and tries to get in his truck when he leaves lol.

Fishbones
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
next time look up in the eucalyptus trees fishbones. there in every tree lol..

Hahahahahaha good one bro....i will make sure to have my glasses on when looking up....lol

richaaron
03-02-2010, 06:33 AM
The lake is way too crowded with waterfowl. Between the Ducks, Geese, Coots, Cormorrants, Seagulls and Pelicans, we are left with hardly any room from the shore to fish. Then you have to constantly run for cover when they fly overhead in hopes of not getting nailed buy a falling turd. Especially a Cormorrant turd, those things are huge and smell horrible. I am tired of all these friggin' birds. I am at the point where I feel that contacting a city official and bringing this to there attention is the only option for a solution to this increasing problem.

One night I was there and I heard a large cracking noise, I turned around and saw a huge tree limb, about 30' above the base of the tree come crashing to the ground. This was due to the amount of Cormorrants that were perched on it. If that limb would have landed on someone, it probably would have killed them. Don't even get me started on the problem with people continuing to feed the Ducks, even though signs are posted about 40' from each other all around the lake. This place is in bad shape right now. I feel like if I don't start taking some action soon, the damage is gonna continue and the effects could be irreversable...

georgia_brown
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/08/opinion/editorial-observer-the-dead-cormorants-of-little-galloo-island.html?pagewanted=1

Just planting seeds.

vanillagurilla
03-02-2010, 04:34 PM
why even post that trash. obviously it some tree hugger that likes birds. saying "comorants dont eat game fish like trout and bass like anglers think".!! WTF!! we have all seen this with our own eyes and lake Ontario is about 100,000 times the size of our tiny socal ponds.

carpanglerdude
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Relax, yeah, cormorants are a problem, but don't paint everyone with such a wide brush...I love birds and fishing

Fishbones
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Relax, yeah, cormorants are a problem, but don't paint everyone with such a wide brush...I love birds and fishing

dont forget turtles......
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/IMG_00942.jpg

littletroutchaser
03-02-2010, 06:43 PM
man wonder what bird call works on those comorants.??maybe just record the sound of a dfg truck,and play it back as loud as you can and get ready to fire!that would be sweet if they had an open season on those things..

Fishbones
03-02-2010, 10:16 PM
man wonder what bird call works on those comorants.??maybe just record the sound of a dfg truck,and play it back as loud as you can and get ready to fire!that would be sweet if they had an open season on those things..

LMFAO........good idea.....without the gun shots or dead cormorants.......how bout we just relocate them instead.....to a starving country......lol

Fishbones
03-02-2010, 10:17 PM

LMFAO........good idea.....without the gun shots or dead cormorants.......

how bout we just relocate them instead.....to a starving country......lol

There probley good for you...with all the fish they eat....

Lobsterboy
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I just have to chime in on this one. I stopped by Tri-City one week day a couple of months ago on my way to work to see if anyone was fishing. What I saw shocked me and pissed me off.
There was no less that 30 cormorants( no exaggeration) in formation swimming back and forth across the lake and every 20 to 30 seconds a group of 5 to 10 or more of them would suddenly dive down as if on signal and each time one, two or more would come up with TROUT in their mouths. They were obviously herding the school back and forth across the lake. When they got to one side, they would all turn and start the swim back across.They must have been stocked either the day before or that morning. there was only one old guy there fishing but he was not fishing for trout.

I watched this go on for about 10 minutes and then left in disgust. No wonder the trout fishing sucks there these days. By the time the weekend comes all the trout are either eaten or mortally wounded.

The DFG or someone (wink) should address this problem or just stop stocking and not waste my taxpayer money on feeding these swimming rats. No wonder local city lake trout fishing is so bad.

Fishbones
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
i plan on hitting it up again real soon and see what i can scratch up there....

hopefully the swimming rats dont bother me....lol

georgia_brown
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
There must be something we can do. Are these birds protected??? They don't seem like they're endangered. If not well there's lots of ways to get rid of them. I'm not that old but i seem to remember the cormorant feathers being valuable. Also in asia they tie rope to these birds necks and use them to fish with. Sounds like fun.