PDA

View Full Version : Soggy fishin at Castaic on Saturday

fishinone
02-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I went to Castaic yesterday and bait and waited in the rain. I left the phone in my pocket since it rained most of the day and I didn't have anybody to take pictures anyway.

I met a nice guy named Caesar and his dad out at the buoy line. They were hammering striper when I showed up and told me to tie up and join in. They had close to limits, one was 6 - 7 lb., when they pulled up stakes in the middle of a downpour. Thanks for the sardines guys. They came in handy.

I had managed a couple. I pulled over onto the hot spot and proceeded to feed striper at a higher rate. I manged to actually hook 4 more in the last few minutes of the day. My final count 6 striper 2 to 4 lb..

I didn't take my lure casting stuff but I wanted my pole with the KPN topwater on it at the end of the day. There were big striper pounding the shoreline. It wasn't boils, it was one big fish at time just pounding something right up next to shore, 5 ft. out at most. At first I thought they were carp or something, but I saw a few come clean out of the water.

trail blazer
02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
DANGGGGG

Times like that only happen once in a while,,,,,,,,,,SUCKS that you forgot your lure setup.

Thanks for the read bro,,,,,,,,,makes my blood pressure go up

cutbait
02-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Sounds like we need to hook back up with Disco Mike at the "hotpocket" TB!

Just like in Striperfest

Fishbones
02-28-2010, 08:54 PM
sounds like a cool trip, i gotta make it out there soon and hit that bouy line up..
you hooked up on mr striper and got a few so good job..and good bye skunk..
always...and i mean always keep a kpn in your pocket....just for reasons like that......
you coulda been on the cover of WoN.....fishbones

fishinone
03-01-2010, 10:28 AM
DANGGGGG

Times like that only happen once in a while,,,,,,,,,,SUCKS that you forgot your lure setup.

I wish I could say that I forgot it but I decided that I wouldn't need it and left it at home.

sounds like a cool trip, i gotta make it out there soon and hit that bouy line up..
you hooked up on mr striper and got a few so good job..and good bye skunk..
always...and i mean always keep a kpn in your pocket....just for reasons like that......
you coulda been on the cover of WoN.....fishbones

I don't really care about being on WON but I would like to catch those big striper.

TroutOnly
03-01-2010, 10:37 AM
YOU GOT TO ALWAYS HAVE A THROWING ROD ON BOARD EVERY TIME ,JUST IN CASE SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS , ANYMORE I ALWAYS HAVE ONE KPN REDAY TO GO,,,,,,,,,,AND THE WARMER IT GETS COMING OUT OF WINTER AND INTO SPRING THE MORE SERIOUS IT BECOMES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
DANGGGGG

YOU GOT TO ALWAYS HAVE A THROWING ROD ON BOARD EVERY TIME ,JUST IN CASE SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENS , ANYMORE I ALWAYS HAVE ONE KPN REDAY TO GO,,,,,,,,,,AND THE WARMER IT GETS COMING OUT OF WINTER AND INTO SPRING THE MORE SERIOUS IT BECOMES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh sure! Now you tell me!:LOL:

Yea, I know that.:Rolls Eyes:

kpn
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Ron,
Thanks for the invited bro. When I check my phone it was too late, may be next time :Wink:.
Good job stuck it out and caught some fish and don't forget your KPN next time :Envious:.

KPN.

fishinone
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Ron,
Thanks for the invited bro. When I check my phone it was too late, may be next time :Wink:.
Good job stuck it out and caught some fish and don't forget your KPN next time :Envious:.

KPN.

I'm looking forward to it Khahn,

My bad on the topwater. I have it tied on and I saw as I was picking out poles and thought that I should take it. Then I thought, "They won't come up." and left it. Of course that's when they come up. Any one of them would have outweighed all four of the schoolies I caught instead of going after them.

erik
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Even though it may appear that the stripers are feeding, this time of year (with no trout plants), it's more likely they are thinking about mating. The stripers are already beginning their mating ritual.
I've seen 'em breach, jumping out of the water like a whale. I think it's a showing off thing, to get a better mate.
All I know for sure is when I first started fishing/guiding for stripers in the late 80's,
I looked forward to some day figuring out the stripers when I got older. . . . .
Well I figured them out! . . . . You can't always figure them out.
P.S.,
I'm pretty well known as a Trophy Bass & Striper fisherman,
(not to mention my shad making ability) & one of the very few REAL guides left.
I've caught dozens of stripers over 40lbs,
& I've caught & guided clients to hundreds of bass over 10lbs.
I don't know why I'm writing in here, I think giving away all your fishing spots, & secrets is foolish.
Guide Erik Stepanek

fishinone
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Even though it may appear that the stripers are feeding, this time of year (with no trout plants), it's more likely they are thinking about mating. The stripers are already beginning their mating ritual.
I've seen 'em breach, jumping out of the water like a whale. I think it's a showing off thing, to get a better mate.
All I know for sure is when I first started fishing/guiding for stripers in the late 80's,
I looked forward to some day figuring out the stripers when I got older. . . . .
Well I figured them out! . . . . You can't always figure them out.
P.S.,
I'm pretty well known as a Trophy Bass & Striper fisherman,
(not to mention my shad making ability) & one of the very few REAL guides left.
I've caught dozens of stripers over 40lbs,
& I've caught & guided clients to hundreds of bass over 10lbs.
I don't know why I'm writing in here, I think giving away all your fishing spots, & secrets is foolish.
Guide Erik Stepanek

Thanks for the insight Eric.

Do you think that those striper showing off will hit lures if they're in range?

I share information on schoolie striper because I want people to catch them, so that they will enjoy catching fish and so that the striper will be thinned out.

erik
03-27-2010, 02:05 AM
yes, sometimes you can coax 'em into hitting when they are near the surface ''f-ing around''.

P.S.,
although the fishing after this last plant was slow . . .
we had 1 huge striper hooked on ''the wood''.
It was AT LEAST in the 30lb class.