PDA

View Full Version : Duct striper #2 tiger by the tail!!!

M@M
02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Hadn't planned on going fishing today, had to meet up with a friend today at 10am. Left around 1:30. I was close to the duct and felt its pull! I was curious to see if it was flowing. To my suprise it was. My gear is almost always in the car. So I decided to give it a shot. Fished that first spot for apprx 1/4 mi. Nothing. So I went to next spot no flow??? Fished about 30min. Nothing. Third spot no flow.After a couple minutes ....bump...set the hook....FISH ON!! This thing was a fighter!... NOW I"M HAVING SOME FUN......It's been a long time(many skunks).... FINALLY!!..... I could feel it was a BIG one! ....After a long battle (GOOD TIMES) the fish was finally wore out and came to the surface rolling around the line.
The last one I caught did the same thing. I'm worried it will cut the line..... Fish Straightens out...... Lure is hooked in his tail???......... Now I'm really worried. Fish is so worn out I finally get it to the waters edge ( I'm already there) and grab it by the gill and pull it up to the dirt. SUCCESS!!.......... That tail was stronger than I thought Had to use my pliers to get the hook out. Fished a bit more. tried one more spot No flow there either

Fish weight 20lbs 8oz. about33 in. long 23in. diameter belly!!

Caught on 3/4oz Rat L Trap 14lb line (Vanish) 7' Ugly stick med action Penn550ssg reel

A guy riding his bike stopped to check out fish and was nice enough to take a couple pics.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010008.jpg

LURE IN TAIL
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010005.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010003.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010004.jpg
IT'S A FATTY
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010020.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010015.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010021.jpg
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/MJM1955/DUCTSTRIPER2Feb252010018.jpg

Last 4 pics taken after dark with flash. Didn't turn out too well....Pics are kinda big till I learn how to make them smaller.:Smile:

ScottyP
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Congrats on that fish! I knew you'd get another one soon.
I've caught a few trout by the tail before and they always feel twice as big that way.

Jig-Guy
02-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Good for you M@M:Cool:! I know you have worked hard and I am glad you got bit again. Thanks for the pictures and report. I am looking forward to your next lunker report.

Jig-Guy

sawoobley
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow! Nice Catch! :EyePop:

:Fishing Catch:

:Applause::Applause::Applause:

There are some huge fish in that part of the duct but danggggggg they are tough to pull out.

Was there anything in its stomach?

:Cool:

M@M
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow! Nice Catch! :EyePop:

:Fishing Catch:

:Applause::Applause::Applause:

There are some huge fish in that part of the duct but danggggggg they are tough to pull out.

Was there anything in its stomach?

It was fun to finally catch another one. LUCKY!
Put it on ice. Started messing with this computer. I'll clean it tomorrow and let you know.

yakfu
02-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Foul Hook!!!!!A 20lber....That thing must of kicked the heck out of you. Beautiful catch.

Fishbones
02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
congrats mike..thats a toad bro........you worked for that one with lots of time put in for sure.
...good for you!!!!

yolo
02-26-2010, 08:57 AM
YEAH!!! I'll trade 20 of my 4 to 8lbers for one of those. What the heck was in that gut? Is that some new, live bearing striper freak? It looks like a puffer fish, lol. Nice job again on the quality fish.

fishinone
02-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice! Tail hooked fish fight really hard. It must have been some battle.

Nessie Hunter
02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Awesome... What a TOAD.. Congrats !!!!!
You sure have earned it....

fisherman from long beach
02-26-2010, 10:40 AM
that thing has some girth on it,nice fish.

Ray Lopez
02-26-2010, 10:58 AM
damn congrats that is a beautiful striper for sure.!!!!!!!

kpn
02-26-2010, 11:31 AM
What??? There are NO stripers in the Duct :LOL:. Congrats on another fine catch Mike. So far you got 2 stripers, and both of them are DD, that is all duct's fishermen dream to catch.

KPN.

trail blazer
02-26-2010, 11:50 AM
WTG M@M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All your hard work is paying off

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Nice catch and hard earned...tail hooked musta been hell on wheels...they fight like heck hooked normal.....way ta nail one helluva nice feesh there..

Persistence pays as stated before.........fish it.....and they will come....nice work there.

Stripa snipa'...
Straight pimpin' !

Ha ha ha.
Way ta slay...
Salute.

M@M
02-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Congrats on that fish! I knew you'd get another one soon.
I've caught a few trout by the tail before and they always feel twice as big that way.
Thanks, it was a first for me.

Good for you M@M:Cool:! I know you have worked hard and I am glad you got bit again. Thanks for the pictures and report. I am looking forward to your next lunker report.

Jig-Guy
Thanks Bill, Let me know if you feel like getting out, even if it's just for a bit. Might be good for the head. God Bless.

Foul Hook!!!!!A 20lber....That thing must of kicked the heck out of you. Beautiful catch.
Yeah, it was a blast!

congrats mike..thats a toad bro........you worked for that one with lots of time put in for sure.
...good for you!!!!
Like you say " Never give up"...Right!!:Smile:

YEAH!!! I'll trade 20 of my 4 to 8lbers for one of those. What the heck was in that gut? Is that some new, live bearing striper freak? It looks like a puffer fish, lol. Nice job again on the quality fish.
Thanks coach:Smile: and I'll take that trade. The gap between catches is brutal! But I might be spoiled..... Gut had small bones and green goo.

Nice! Tail hooked fish fight really hard. It must have been some battle.

I thought I hooked a whale! She just kept going!

Awesome... What a TOAD.. Congrats !!!!!
You sure have earned it....
Thanks,they sure don't come easy

that thing has some girth on it,nice fish.
Big egg sacks, thanks

damn congrats that is a beautiful striper for sure.!!!!!!!
Thanks, biggest fish I ever caught!

What??? There are NO stripers in the Duct :LOL:. Congrats on another fine catch Mike. So far you got 2 stripers, and both of them are DD, that is all duct's fishermen dream to catch.

KPN.
They were big fish...... KPN, It's guys like you I saw on this forum that got me hooked! Damn! Now I can't stop!! Even when I say I am. My name is Mike I'm an addict!....Good Times!:Smile:

WTG M@M,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All your hard work is paying off
I think the hardest part was carrying it almost a mile back to the car! Maybe Next time I might catch...take pic....release....MAYBE ...if there is a next time:Smile:

Nice catch and hard earned...tail hooked musta been hell on wheels...they fight like heck hooked normal.....way ta nail one helluva nice feesh there..

Persistence pays as stated before.........fish it.....and they will come....nice work there.

Stripa snipa'...
Straight pimpin' !

Ha ha ha.
Way ta slay...
Salute.
Gary, I remember you saying "hook sets are free" so anytime I feel something I go for it! Lose a few lures but it's worth it. By the way.... that post on the Saltwater message board that was closed the other day.....It was Hilarious! .....Those guys had no chance in a battle of words with you! Anytime I need a laugh I'll just read that post. It was like bringing a knife to a gunfight!.... I laughing right now just thinking about it:LOL:

sawoobley
02-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by M@M

Gary, I remember you saying "hook sets are free" so anytime I feel something I go for it! Lose a few lures but it's worth it. By the way.... that post on the Saltwater message board that was closed the other day.....It was Hilarious! .....Those guys had no chance in a battle of words with you! Anytime I need a laugh I'll just read that post. It was like bringing a knife to a gunfight!.... I laughing right now just thinking about it:LOL:[/QUOTE]

I just read through the eight pages. Some funny stuff amidst a lot of unnecessary complaining. An amazing, amazing post. My dreams don't even allow me to have fishing experiences that exciting!!!:EyePop:

rockypointkid24
02-27-2010, 12:27 AM
nice size striper

ToadsToadsOnly
02-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow what a catch nice fish

RamboBoy
02-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Way to go M&M ! Hook on tail LAMO

You are very lucky you got em, if it happened hook off his tail, and you might loose fish. Good job you did well by letting it drag go and the fish gets tired.